Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singhyogi

Looking for the right white and losing my mind!

Sanjana Pillay
6 years ago

I live in a 1987 built CA home with high ceilings open plan no architectural details what so ever (no molding or frames or casings). My style is a mid century modern with enough color and textures to make it warm. After living with dull mud colored beige for 5 years since we bought, I finally have budgeted the $$ to retexture from knockdown texture to 80/20 and am looking for a crisper white that is no too stark and cold but not beige or yellow or too bright either. So far, I have tried walls with

1) Strong White from Farrow and Ball a bit too beige for the light we get in MB but I have to live withe it.

2) BM cloud nine for kids room but a tad too much of the green undertones.

3) BM Super white: Fine in the mornings but shadowy and stark as soon as the light goes down.

Now these mistakes on the second floor, I have to live with and they are not awful. But the 1600 downstairs is open and would be an awfully expensive mistake and hard to live with. So calling all paint pros who delve in white to please help! THANK YOU!!!

Comments (20)

• enjoythejourney
    6 years ago

I just just read a really interesting post regarding picking whites, from Lori A Sawaya. I don’t know how to link to it directly but, you should have a look. The background is also interesting reading, or you can just look for the chart she included to find the actual post.

https://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4741889/kitchen-cabinet-painting-color-advice

Sanjana Pillay thanked enjoythejourney
  • Sanjana Pillay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The natural light plays a HUGE role in the white you choose? You do not say from where the light comes. Simply White is perfect for North facing room.

Sanjana Pillay thanked JudyG Designs
  • Sanjana Pillay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Judy,

My LR is north facing which which runs into the Dining and Family rooms which get their sun from the sliders facing south. Issue is that these walls kind of run into another because is it one big open space so there is not too much room to use different colors.

• lizzierobin
    6 years ago

I used BM Capitol White throughout my cottage. It is a soft creamy white that doesn’t have undertones, looks great in any room, any lighting and any time of day. I was recommended it here on GardenWeb. I couldn’t be happier with that recommendation.

Sanjana Pillay thanked lizzierobin
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

It is an expensive mistake…it is a tough call because whites are really affected by natural light. I don’t use white in a south facing room.

Have you tried B.M. Ballet White? It is the only one I can think of which MIGHT work north/south.

I found this photo and just chatting with you about my thoughts…what if the walls and ceiling are both Ballet White and the woodwork is super white? Then the walls and ceiling are bouncing off each?

Sanjana Pillay thanked JudyG Designs
  • deegw
    6 years ago

White also reflects what it around it so you may have to pick something with an undertone that counteracts whatever the walls are reflecting. It can be the tone of the floors. We had a light colored room turn greenish because it had lots of windows that looked out at huge trees.

Sanjana Pillay thanked deegw
  • Chessie
    6 years ago
    Sanjana Pillay thanked Chessie
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    BM distant grey
    Sanjana Pillay thanked Diane
  • hopingtogetfit
    6 years ago
    Ballet White is pretty, but it’s not a white. I had it in my last house, and it often had a peachy look to it. Have you considered Benjamin Moore’s Classic Gray? (don’t let the name fool you.) It is an off white with just a tad bit of gray in it. We just painted the entire interior of our newly purchased home this color, and we love it. It’s a warm white that looks good with everything.
  • Sanjana Pillay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to everyone who have come to my assistance. I experienced the bit about white picking up the tones of everything around it. My kids' room painted in BM cloud9 definitely picked up on the green trees outside. I don't think a pink or too much yellow would go with my place so I based on these suggestions, I will get samples for BM capitol white, distant gray and classic gray and pray I make the right choice! Thanks again.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Definitely consider that gray on walls with North light is going to be cold. North light casts blue and gray. That is why I recommend not to do Dove White on the walls.

Classic gray has a brown hue..

Distant gray has a blue hue, great for the south part of the room, but not for the North.

• lizzierobin
    6 years ago

Capitol white isn’t its own chip. You’ll have to look for the booklet that has the sample in it. Good luck!

Sanjana Pillay thanked lizzierobin
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

Don't use anything with a cool undertone in North rooms it will be depressing. That's why I always think North facing rooms need wood floors as a starting point.

• drdeb1234
    6 years ago

I had a long angst ridden dilemma 2 years ago about choosing a white for most of my house. I finally went with Farrow and Ball All White. Its quite undertone free I think, and very fresh. I obsessed +++ before and after painting, but I'm very happy with the results.

Sanjana Pillay thanked drdeb1234
  • jslazart
    6 years ago

I'm trying to figure this out right now as well (with an open 1970s east/west facing house). The current front runners for me are Dunn Edwards Whisper and DE Swan White, but they might both be too stark.

(edited because I forgot these were DE, not SW colors. I go back and forth a lot.)

Sanjana Pillay thanked jslazart
  • jesshs
    6 years ago

I played the white game for my living/dining room with cathedral ceilings and East/West exposure windows and lots of trees. I ended up picking Valspar Betsy's Linen as the perfect warm white. But- pay attention to sheen too. I thought I would want eggshell finish because I thought the slight sheen would help to bounce the light around. I had painted my entryway eggshell and liked it there. After one coat on one wall I hated the eggshell finish. I bought matte finish and finished the rest of the room and the second coat in matte finish and love it still- 8ish years later.

Sanjana Pillay thanked jesshs
  • mamadada
    6 years ago

I have a SW Cameo Cream in my home. Had it for 19 years. Not yellow, grey, pink or blue...just off white. You would say it is white until you put in next to a white towel...then you say wow it's off white.

• Sanjana Pillay
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I primed and painted swatches on my knock down walls and eliminated distant white because it seemed too stark and bright. Though not confident, I think I will try BM Oxford white for my south facing room but debating between Cloud and Simply white in the north/south living room/kitchen space. I did have a question about BM matte finish. Does anyone has experience with cleaning BM matte finish? I really don't like any sheen but am moving from flat to Matte for ease of cleaning. I don't have pets but I do have kids around 10 years though they dont rough house around. Will BM Regal select matte work?

Thank you so much!!!