Software
Houzz Logo Print
babsfishes

Beige or Navy....help me decide

8 years ago

Started with beige drapes but think the navy is nicer... your thoughts please

Comments (28)

  • 8 years ago

    What nice cheery colors in your room. What room is behind the couch? Would you be putting the same panels in there as well?

    Babs Fla thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I prefer the beige.

    Babs Fla thanked k9arlene
  • 8 years ago
    Navy definitely makes adds a pop of color
    Babs Fla thanked Raul Perez
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like the beige, some navy pillows and coffee table accessories would look good.

    Babs Fla thanked deegw
  • 8 years ago

    The navy looks wonderful and really makes the room. Love it!

    Babs Fla thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • 8 years ago

    To my eye the navy brings down the light, breezy coastal vibe down a notch. If you’re looking for a pop of color, the navy does that.

    Babs Fla thanked k9arlene
  • 8 years ago

    Lisa, the room behind will be the dining area (no furniture yet) There will be a light wood Ikea table and white chairs. Hoping to put a rug underneath perhaps navy with a big anchor or starfish on it.

  • 8 years ago

    Two totally different looks and feel. I am leaning toward the Navy, but neither would be a poor choice.

    Babs Fla thanked arcy_gw
  • 8 years ago

    Navy is the winner IMO. It gives an overall crisp look. The beige works too, but it blends in with the walls. Just curious...is this your primary residence or a beach house?

    Babs Fla thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Lisa, this is a tiny (under 1000 sq ft) beach house in the Florida Keys our other home is on 36 acres in Central Florida. I plan to leave the beige up for now and when all the projects are done I'll purchase the blue ones.




  • 8 years ago

    How nice! Sounds like a good plan.

    Babs Fla thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Depends on mood you want for this area. Light ones make room airy, fresh. Blue ones, more formal, sophisticated, intimate. Like both.

    Babs Fla thanked bossyvossy
  • 8 years ago

    Navy gets my vote.

    Babs Fla thanked hooked123
  • 8 years ago

    I like your color choice for the furniture and it goes nice with the blue. The beige doesn't add anything and is a bit bland.

    Babs Fla thanked woodteam5
  • 8 years ago

    If you are going to have both, you can change them out. I really like the way the navy brightens the green and pulls the print and everything together. My guess is that the drapes are going to be open most of the time, so they would not darken that much. If you find it is too much navy, you could use them for color on the outer parts of your windows and use another layer to close up when privacy or more light control is needed (sheers, shades, blinds, etc.)

    If this was a suburban home and you wanted something softer and more formal, maybe the beige would work, but when you say beach house in the Keys -- more color for me.


    Babs Fla thanked lascatx
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I think the navy makes the room look choppy. As you said, it's a very small house. Keep it simple and get your pops of color elsewhere.

    Babs Fla thanked Anglophilia
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think they both look nice but the navy adds more to the room. I like the navy.

    ETA - The curtains on the patio doors, will they change be the same color?

    I can see where Anglophilia is saying about it being choppy. If you wanted more color you could use art, a rug, accessories on the coffee table. Could you post wide shots of the space?

    Babs Fla thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What about a beachier color blue than the navy, which would coordinate with your print chair and still look nice with the green (which I love!)?

    Or maybe a complementary green:

    Babs Fla thanked Olychick
  • 8 years ago

    I think you could do the lighter blue for a softer look, but I would not add more green.

    Babs Fla thanked lascatx
  • 8 years ago

    I agree with whoever said that the navy, while it’s nautical, isn’t at all beachy. I don’t get a nautical vibe from your furnishings. If you want color, I think the light blue would be a better fit than the navy and wouldn’t be so jarring.

    Babs Fla thanked k9arlene
  • 8 years ago

    I like the bold look of the navy better but you need a few more navy items to make it cohesive. Throw pillows in textured solids or stripes could work:





    Babs Fla thanked songbird07
  • 8 years ago

    Curtains that don't more or less blend into the wall steal the show; all your eye can see is the curtains, and your furniture is completely overwhelmed. Having light furniture with dark curtains is a mistake in my opinion.

    Babs Fla thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Just remember, the navy will fade plus it will make the room much darker. I would use navy in accents but keep the drapes in a neutral.

    Babs Fla thanked Yayagal
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. With any luck I will get the dining table and chairs this week. The wall unit for the opposite wall is still a few months out. Hurricane Irma hit us hard and the rebuild is going slower than I would like. I will revisit my color choices in a few weeks. For now the beige will be fine. Once finished I will post photos.

  • 8 years ago

    Definitely beige, the navy just brings the room down. Use navy in accessories for a better effect.

  • 8 years ago

    Of the 2 I prefer the beige but I think a lighter, softer blue would look best.

  • 8 years ago
    Depends on the look you are doing for. Keep in mind you can always change them with the seasons. The beige will take you to the lighter more beach feel and the navy brings an element of richness to it that is more formal. What is your desired feel?