Software
Houzz Logo Print
pattimccormick

Newbie question

This will be my first year to winter sow in Chicago. I have been saving milk jugs and a few other plastic bottles that I think will work. I understand the concept and it sounds like so much fun. My question is how do I know how many seeds to put into the gallon jug when planting. I figured here in Chicago that I will start them in mid March to be ready in May or early June. Does this sound ok or should I start my annual seeds sooner? Can I start them sooner without harming the plants? I have purchased various annuals for the first time and hope to share seedlings with my mom and sisters. I always bought flowers but my husband had a severe stroke recently and I am on a strict budget.

Comments (4)

  • 8 years ago

    If you are planting mostly annuals, then March is fine for Chicago. The number of seeds depends on how many seeds you have, and how you plan to use them. I always just sprinkle a pinch in each container, enough to get sprouts throughout the container, but not be too crowded. It also depends on the size of the seed. Snapdragons are very different than zinnias.

  • 8 years ago

    Depends on two things: Size of seeds and how many you have. My goal is the "hunk-o-seedlings" when planting out. That means seeds are signicantly closer together when put in the jug, which creates many seedlings grouped together once they've germinated and are ready to be planted. They are probably more crowded the docmom does, but for the plants I sow it has worked very well. I would think with vegetables the hunk-o-seedings would not be as desired, and you'd want less crowding.

    For expensive annuals or perennials that come with just a small number per packet, I much prefer combining them into one jug. For example, I had some seeds that were only 25 per packet (Pow Wow Wild Berry Echinacea), and I gave them one fourth of a jug. I mentally split the jug into quarters and planted all those seeds in one quarter. The other quarters were used for other plants for which i had few seeds. I kept detailed records about which seeds were in which fourth of the jug. I just have too many seeds to devote an entire jug to only 25 seeds! I'd have far too many jugs and need significantly more potting soil.

    I find that 500 seeds really coats one jug almost too completely for normal to small seeds, and a bit too much for big seeds (like Asclepias). They germinate just fine, and I do it, but usually my jugs have less than 500. A packet with 250 average seeds seems like an ideal jug for me.

    The thing about WS is that it's really hard to mess that part up. Put as many or as few as you'd like. Be aware that very fine seeds can easily slip off the edge and get nestled between the potting soil and jug, so I always try to be sure there is a buffer from the edge for very small seeds. My biggest enemy is slugs. The first seeds always germinate before the slugs are out, but once the slugs emerge, they just love those seedlings, and they can eat a jug in one night. Beyond slugs, I've had few problems.

    I did have three (i think) jugs germinate last year in February during a totally freak long warm spell...in Maine. They did freeze and die. Beyond those, even temps below freezing don't bother seedlings under the normal time frame. Feburary is not normal...in Maine...by any means. They had too many single digit nights ahead of them to make it. First time I ever worried about low temps and sprouted seeds in jugs!

  • 8 years ago

    Docmom you must know what I ordered, LOL!! I have both snapdragon seeds and I have some Zinnia seeds. I bought a bunch of seeds in packages from Rene's Garden and Johnny's seeds because those were two places many people said they have nice seeds. I did not open the packages. I have them stored in a cool dry place. I was trying to get a few different varieties so I could see how well they all do. I have a cucumber seeds, zucchini seeds and two varieties of tomatoes. I have some nasturtiums, saliva, viola, marigolds and geraniums. I plan to give some to my mom, sisters and my son if they do well. Is it ok to use miracle grow soil or should I get seedling soil. I hope I have good germination this year. I realize that I wont need to plant all the seeds but I have my friend and family members all saving milk jugs and other similar containers. It sounds like the hunk of seeds would work well for pots that you want to just transfer from the jug to the pot. I have saved 1/2 gallon bottles for the veggies and was only going to put only a few seeds in those thinning them out as needed. I am understanding that you all are saying that if the seeds are tiny to use more than if the seeds are larger. I am very excited to get started to see how well they do. I don't have room or the sun anywhere in my home for indoor seedlings. It would be my luck that they would not germinate. The winter sowing sounds like the best way for me. My hubbie had a stroke in November so we are on a tight budget now and buying flats of flowers can be very costly. I did get my seeds last year in the fall because I couldn't help myself. I love to garden and last year I tried the raised bed with great success thanks to this forum so this year I will try winter sowing. I have read many posts from folks on this forum all summer last year and during the winter months. I just cant wait to start...

  • 8 years ago

    Patti,

    You will be a wintersowing addict in no time. Good luck.

    Martha

    Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a thanked docmom_gw
Sponsored