Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alli_werline96

Grout color

Alli Pike
6 years ago
Can’t decide grout color for Shaw Smoked Hickory in Pecan. This is earth and saddle brown. Any advice or other ideas?

Comments (36)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Very pretty......I prefer the darker as the second photo the color is a bit too warm IMO. The darker color against the wall looks bad, but I guess you have not installed the baseboards yet. The darker is very nice. I guess it leads me to ask what are your furnishings and is the in the whole home, etc?

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It is in the whole house. And this is under where the fridge will be so there aren’t baseboards there. Will be trying another color too tobacco brown.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Great, post that when you have it sampled. I was not fond of the second option. What are your thoughts on the two you already posted by chance?

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not really sure. The first one looks too orange red I think and the second is maybe too light.
  • CC
    6 years ago
    Alli, I don't like either... You should pick a darker grout. Something that matches the dark Veins in the wood tile, IMO.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

neither. too light and too reddish tan. what brand are you using?

pick a dark color. when you look at the floor, you don't want to see individual grout lines. this is suppose to mimic real wood. so get a dark color that disappears.

• PRO
    Ezio Design Solutions
    6 years ago

Mapei has color samples (I use this brand all the time)

- you might want to look at Sahara beige or Pearl grey (select one that matches the variation of color in the wood).

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Hmmm not sure if I'd go too dark, perhaps a medium.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Maybe I need to get in to the ophthalmologist again as I'm not a young person?

is this not dark or what? I'll go, make the appointment if I'm going blind! Looks darkest of dark to me..... Beth?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Perhaps it's monitors again... it looks almost graphite in the first photo on my computer...

• madhavback
    6 years ago

First photo looks too black on my monitor. I like Diyher's grout color on her floor. I agree that a dark tone that picks up your tile color will be best. I wasn't home to pick out my grout color and the contractor did one that was on the light side. It looks awful now - very dirty.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

it's the tan vertical grout line in the middle of my text (under the word 'NOT')

to me, it's a tan color that matches the lighter portion of her tile. I say pick one of the darker veins in her tile and do that color ,,,perhaps Sable or Tobacco

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I tried sable. It was way too red. Waiting for tobacco to dry so I can snap a pic of it! Fingers crossed it’s the right one!!
  • diyher
    6 years ago

every floor company I got quotes from all told me to choose the darkest color in the wood look tile I choose for the grout. It tends to make it look more real and like a shadow instead of actual grout. Now for other tile not wood look tile, the color choice might not be good to choose

the darkest. I just put my 2nd coat of sealer today and it turned out great

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is the tobacco
  • wysmama
    6 years ago
    The tobacco is much better IMO
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

that one is better. make sure when you grout, to fill in those joints up to the top and don't wipe away such a deep groove.

if you don't like it after it dries, try a different company. laticrete, mapei, all have nice colors.

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Better. But is it the right one?
  • marylut
    6 years ago
    It looks like the grain is more of a charcoal and the base is in the gray hue. I think the first grout is too light and orangish. The second is too dark and makes the planks look like individual tiles instead of wood planks. Tobacco grout will probably have greenish tint. If you want the floor to looks expansive, try to pick a grout that “disappears” so the grain is emphasized.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth for the, "text" I was seeing it as a whole and it looked black in the very first photo.

The Tobacco appears to be slightly red in tone on my computer.

It would be great if you could borrow or, "check out" with a small deposit some grout bar samples and bring them home to view.

• diyher
    6 years ago

the grout bars I have seen aren't actually grout, but almost a dense plastic. Do you have a piece of tile you can bring to the store with you? That's what I did. At the time none of the tile (6"x40") was cut, so I had to bring a whole piece with me. I bought the grout at Home Depot

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

The tile store we got our tile from, "Virginia Tile" had several boxes of actual grout bars in order from light to dark. I think it would have to be an actual tile store one could possibly try to borrow or as above mentions take a piece of the flooring to the store and ask them for their grout bar samples. I know the store, "The Tile Shop" has actual samples of grout bars in store and I believe they are across the US. I don't think a big box store would have them, but?

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have grout bar samples. They don’t turn out quite the same for some and then when you get the others in a bigger area they don’t look right. It’s pushing the whole house back but since we did this floor everywhere I want to make sure it’s right. On to different brands.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Alli, just a thought. Have you considered a, live chat with Shaw via their website about this and if they have a recommendation for a good match for this smoked hickory in pecan? https://shawfloors.com/contact-us

Just a thought and they may not want to offer a, "suggestion" yet they may know a very good match as well for your to look at?

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Porter yes! I messaged them. They don’t have exact suggestion just Can say what their photographers used. So I’m looking into that color now. “True toupe”
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

New Taupe?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Good luck Alli, I am not sure if you meant New Taupe or True :) Either way, I'm happy they were able to tell you what they photographed with!

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    They said true toupe. I’m going to do some research!
  • diyher
    6 years ago

Mine is the Truffle you see on the list you gave

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What do y’all think?
  • CC
    6 years ago
    That one looks perfect!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

perfect

• Alli Pike
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Truffle it is!!! Thank you everyone for your help!! Couldn’t have done it without y’all!!! You guys rock!!!
  • diyher
    4 years ago

glad Truffle worked. I think with your floor, the Truffle color matches the darkest shade in yor tile. That is what the guy at the Home Depot suggested I do.