Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattquintero

Basement bar counter tops question.

Matt Q
6 years ago
Hello all, newbie here. Attached is our basement bar and am looking for advice for countertops. As you can see the island has not yet been installed but it will feature, (and this is due to sizing constraints in the room) a few 12” wall cabinets anchored, (and I mean anchored very well) to the floor with a wall of mdf and then wrapped in the stone cabinet finish. The island will have a 12” overhang with steel supports. Our cabinet guys swear up and down that this thing will hold, but just to be safe I am having corbels installed as well.

So back to the question part of my ramble. Would you recommend Quartz or Granite. Unfortunately there is no sink in this bar because we didn’t want to drill into the concrete, but the island will be at the normal bar height of 42” and all one level. We have been looking at silestone Calcatta gold or MSI statuary classic. Granite could also be an option as well.

Any other advice about the overall concept would be great. Thank you.

Comments (13)

• sushipup1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Check the Kitchens forum for lots of discussions about countertop materials.

• Matt Q
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much, it just worries me that this thing may tip over one of these days, but it seems that won't be an issue.

• Ron Natalie
    6 years ago

Yep, my bar has metal cantilevers (I didn't want the visible braces). They have to be screwed tot he cabinetry, but it's on big thing. The only thing I'd be conccerned with is your wine cellar or whatever that is on the right being too inaccessible with a big overhang.

Matt Q thanked Ron Natalie
  • acm
    6 years ago

I think that the island is separate from the cabinetry we're currently seeing.

Go with quartz, just for ease of upkeep, especially with lots of guest use. Shouldn't be a large enough area to break the bank.

Matt Q thanked acm
  • Peggy Ouellette
    6 years ago

Not sure why you would want a 12 inch overhang? You'll have to reach under countertop to open top drawer and won't be able to see entire contents inside drawer.

Matt Q thanked Peggy Ouellette
  • acm
    6 years ago

Also, are you guys noticing that her 12" overhang will be on 12" cabinets? That seems like a really different situation than the same overhang on standard 24" base cabinets, and I too would be worried about stability -- I'd want not only braces under the counter (no knee-knocking corbels!), but some kind of structural reinforcement for the cabinets as well as screwing them to the floor. But I defer to the expertise of others on that point!!

• Matt Q
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all, but as ACM pointed out, I am strictly talking about the overhang on the island, (which isn't installed yet).

• Matt Q
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The cabinet company will be making a base out of 2x4s and secure them to the floor via tapcons all over the place. Then, the cabinets will be placed on top of that base, and screwed to the bases. Then the Skin will be applied and secured to the base and to the cabinets along with toe kicks. on the back of the cabinets and on the base a 3/4 piece of MDF will join the cabinets to the bases. There will be three corbels on the island with the steel supports as well. The countertop will have a radial edge and start around 3 or 4" overhang on the sides and then go up to around 12, (most likely around 10") in the middle.

I am worried about it tipping over but they swear that it won't go anywhere.

• Matt Q
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Almost done
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

I vote for MS Statuary Classic! Beautiful pattern, beautiful color, excellent performance, and almost zero maintenance.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I think your stools are too short for the counter. It looks like the bar is 42” high or 48” even and your stools are only 24” seat height. It might be the angle of the pic but just check

• Matt Q
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh yes, sorry the bar stools are just for spacing, the newer ones will be the right height.

We decided on Calcutta Gold and they will be here next week to Template.
Sponsored
More Discussions