Software
Houzz Logo Print
robingg

Wainscoting Advice

8 years ago

We bought a gutted (flooded in Hurricane Harvey) patio home in Houston. Only the studs (basically) are left. We are shifting some things around and opening up the Dining between the Family Room and Kitchen. I have always wanted to try some type of wainscoting in the Dining; something not too formal but to set it apart somewhat. My dilemma is a couple of things: 1) where do I start and stop it since it's being opened up to the other areas and will it look strange in only one room? Although I'm considering possibly doing it in the entry hall as well but again, do I stop it at wall into Kitchen? 2) Is there a certain style molding/wainscoting that goes with the look I'm gong for elsewhere? I'm having a herringbone brick in Chicago Antique brick done on back splash, courtyard is bricked and Family room has the same brick outlining the fireplace. Does it get too "busy" with additional molding in the room (Dining) which is between these two rooms? Or is it even the same look somewhat? Or does it matter if it's not the kind of casual, (yet elegant and comfortable) New Orleans look? The ceilings in each room are different as well. Vaulted in Kitchen, flat in Dining and coiffured in Family room. Since it's been gutted, I have many options. Thanks in Advance!