Software
Houzz Logo Print
beckylvickers

Recommended knife brand?

8 years ago
Looking for recommended knife brands for everyday use! I’m not a chef, but I do use my knives and cook everyday.

Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Depends on your budget. The Victorinox Fibrex are great inexpensive knives used normally in commercial kitchens and butcher shops. They can take abuse, but dont look the nicest. From there, Henkels makes some quality knives. Next step up, probably the Wustof Classics, then followed by Shun. There are definitely some between and above those levels, but they are probably the most common. Its normally suggested not to buy big sets because they come with knives you rarely use. Buy wisely by buying better quality knives, and only the 3-5 knives you use the most. Dont be afraid to mix and match brands. Look for knives with a good weight balance that feels good in YOUR hands, not what feels good in someone elses.

    https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/420-how-to-build-the-best-knife-set

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with Steve J. I've got some very nice Henkles that have held up over the year and a few Wustof's. Not everybody has the same taste. A great way to tell is to go some place like Sur Le Table that will let you cut up some carrots or something with various knives to get ones with a size and handle that works for you.

    I largely dislike knife sets as they come with some useless knives. I'd rather spend the money on good ones for the operations I use.

  • 8 years ago

    The higher lines (avoid the thin bargain lines) of Henckel and Wusthof are always a safe bet if you like the European edge angle (20º). I've been buying mostly Shun Fuji and Hikari the last several years as I prefer the balance and blade construction. I don't stick with one brand, however, and shop individual knives for function and feel. For value, I think it's hard to beat Global in a Japanese edge. I have knives I love in the above four brands plus a few others (all edged 15º) so it's really about finding the right knife for you for each set of tasks.

  • 8 years ago

    I like wusthoff (we have culinars). The logos on their steak knives (gran prix II) came off in the dishwasher which was disappointing. They cut fine and hold an edge pretty long


  • 8 years ago

    Whatever you do, go and try them out in your hands! (unless you live in the boonies and it's not possible, of course.) No matter what ratings they get or no matter what's in style, if they don't fit your hands and your movements, they won't be any good to you. I think there's nothing wrong with buying a set if the product and price is right.....if you get more knives than you need, resell them, or even give them away. (People always say don't buy a set of cookware either, but my set was cheaper than buying 2/3 of the pieces separately, so even giving away a few pieces, I still saved money.)

  • 8 years ago

    The Victorinox Fibrex knives are a great buy. East to buy a couple of those and then save up for a budget-busting fancy name knife. I'll bet you reach for the inexpensive ones everyday.

  • 8 years ago

    The what feel good to you advice is important. I recently took a knife class and learned a lot - both in terms of skills, and how to shop for knives. I was also able to use most of those mentioned above (wusthof, henkel, shun, etc.) and while they were all better than any knife I'd ever used, the shun felt best in my hand, by far, so I'll be purchasing the shun classic. (I'm talking strictly chef knives here, didn't get into bread or paring.)

  • 8 years ago
    I cook all the time and LOVE my Wusthofs (I prefer the classic handle). I have had a couple of Henkels over the years and they just didn’t seen to hold an edge as well as the Wusthofs. I always hand wash my knives but did have 2 Wusthofs develop cracks in the handles—both about 20 years old. I sent them back to Wusthof and they replaced them—no questions asked!!! Can’t beat that in my book!
  • 8 years ago

    Most good knive companies have great warranties because they dont really need them.

  • 8 years ago

    I love my Globals - great weight, great balance and they hold their edge well. Wish I could afford more :-(