Software
Houzz Logo Print
sean_k62

Barn doors in kitchen

8 years ago
Hey All,
I need some advice on finishes. My wife and I are looking to add barn door to our pantry. currently we have a set of double doors that are awkward. we were wondering on styles and finishes. The kitchen is somewhat farmhouse. I was thinking distressed black wyanes coating to match the Island. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago
    The doors In question are first set next too the long blank wall. thx
  • 8 years ago

    You would need nearly an 8’ wide barn door, that’s quite large. Overall, a barn door doesn’t really go with the style in the rest of the kitchen. Perhaps bi-fold doors would be more functional for you?

  • 8 years ago

    I would say your kitchen style is really not farmhouse. Is the pantry a walk in or just shelves? I like the idea of bifold. I think even sliding closet doors would be better than a barn door in your kitchen.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    There is nothing farmhouse about that kitchen and IMO black waincoting will make that space even darker than it is and barn doors do not work well with wainscoting. The only place you have for the barndoor is to the left of the pantry and it will have to be a double hung one since that size of barndoor will be too big

  • 8 years ago
    The pantry is only shelves, not a walk in. I'm glad you noted it's not really Farmhouse, what would you say the style is? So you all highly recommend against Barn doors, if not what recomidations do you have for style/color. Thanks for all the input...
  • 8 years ago

    Love the detail in your cabinetry! DH is about finished with these for our basement. He suggested you could do two sliding panels and start track on the right like recommended above, but with only shelving behind and not a walk-in, not sure I’d go that route. Opening here is 6 feet with 2 36” doors. I’m sure an expert will have an idea for something interesting! GL!

  • 8 years ago

    A pocket door is where I'd go for your style and to add function.

  • 8 years ago

    You really shouldn't be decorating to highlight a door. I would use a closet door style that matches the other doors in the room and put a great piece of art on the open wall.

  • 8 years ago
    A barn door is not in keeping with your ‘traditional’ style . I think since it’s just shelves behind and not a walk in pantry I’d recommend new bifold doors in the same finish/style/color and HEIGHT as your kitchen cabinetry. This along with art to the left of the new millwork wall will tie this side of the room in with the kitchen. This shot is just to show bifold doors that relate to the kitchen cabinetry.
    Classic Garden Room Kitchen · More Info
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You have a bifold door on the closet next to it, so why not another bifold. Also - why are the doors awkward - because they open too much into the room?

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Why not have some pullout pantries built to fit in there a much better use of space and if designed properly the whole door pulls out .You kitchen is very formal and unless you are about to redo, keep the doors on the pullouts in the same style and color. IMO pantry doors should always match cabinet doors they are part of the kitchen

  • 8 years ago

    The light fixtures are the only thing farmhousey about the space currently. . .so I’m not a pro, but I think the question is, do you really want to take your kitchen farmhousey – in which case, there are lots of things to be done, could be fun! (but expensive)– or, are you really just more concerned with getting the right pantry door with your current space.

  • 8 years ago
    Hi all,
    Thank you very much for the feedback, I do like the idea of a pocket door, double sliders or the pullout cabinets. I dont think my wife is a big fan of the bifold. A few questions, can I use a pocket door in a load bearing wall (without major rework) ? How far would the double sliders stick out? My assumption is that it would need to be two door widths plus a bit for tracks.

    Thanks again for all the help...
    Sean
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    A pocket door involves reworking the wall