Software
Houzz Logo Print
jody1925

Kitchen Cabinets

8 years ago
Would love to have white kitchen cabinets but need help visualizing how they would look in our kitchen. Can anyone suggest an app that would enable users to "paint"/change the color of cabinets? Thanks!

Comments (42)

  • 8 years ago

    It would look out of place. Your cherry is an expensive upgrade. Don't ruin it.


  • 8 years ago
    Thank you, klfische! Appreciate your reply. I hope some of the more tech savy contributors can suggest an app that would do what I need.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, GreenDesigns. You have a point, so now I'm thinking twice about going white. Would still love to be able to visualize it, though.
  • 8 years ago
    Please do not paint these cupboards. They are beautiful.
  • 8 years ago
    It’s a nice Mission style kitchen. I wouldn’t paint the cabinets. You may want to replace those pendants with ones that are a bit more in keeping with the Mission style. Perhaps change those recessed light bulbs to LED with whiter (less yellow) colour temperature to brighten the room.
  • 8 years ago
    I understand everyone’s comments but I would paint them or restrain them gray.
  • 8 years ago

    Painting these cabinets would be like using house paint on a classic car...don't.

  • 8 years ago
    What's with everyone wanting white cabinets anyway? These are beautiful.
  • 8 years ago
    I love your kitchen cabinets. I think you could change the backsplash, paint color and pendant lights for an update.
  • 8 years ago
    Update pendants and backsplash. Light countertop if you want to brighten up. No paint on those cabs.
  • 8 years ago
    Beautiful, Susan! So fresh and timeless.
  • 8 years ago

    I also recently added light counters and backsplash to my wood kitchen - love how light it looks even with the wood cabinets. If I had your kitchen I would at the least lighten the backsplash - no matter what color the cabinets.

  • 8 years ago

    I with the others. Don't paint those lovely cabinets. If you want a lighter feel paint the walls white and add white accessories.

  • 8 years ago

    I like the warmth and the richness of your cabinets! Love what Susan Krueger did in above photo.

  • 8 years ago
    I think your cabinets would look beautiful painted white or a light off white with new hardware and pendants.
  • 8 years ago

    I love your cabinets! I'd keep them, myself, and repaint the walls, do a new backsplash.

  • 8 years ago

    jody1925, White cabinets seem to be very popular! Love your cabinets as is, so pretty! Your wall color is nice too, do you know what brand and name? Thank you

  • 8 years ago
    You could always stain your cabinets, but please do not paint them
  • 8 years ago
    Much cheaper looking than the beautiful cabinets you currently have
  • 8 years ago

    I agree with Linda. I was just about to post that painting them white would look cheap.

  • 8 years ago
    Definitely do what suits you! I thought I wanted white painted cabinets but in the home we just purchased with painted cherry cabinets my dogs have reminded me that I don’t. They have scratched bits of paint off as has putting away pans. My summer job will be stripping and staining them. You kitchen is beautiful so maybe a different stain color, new hardware, countertops and/or backsplash. Have you tried the Sherwin Williams paint visualizer app? You can up load a photo and try any of their paint colors.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I can see you wanting to update your stain to a more current grey toned brown. The floor too then. Backsplash and counters. I'd go with an induction cooktop like a Bosch Benchmark or 800 series because of the 17 power steps. Good diy project for sure. Here's some discussion and a picture of the color.

  • 8 years ago

    Flexa visualizer is such an app, but it is in Dutch. Big paint manufacturers in the US might have a similar app, I guess

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It is your kitchen to do what you want. But those are beautiful cabinets.

    Sorry but I would rather see you sell them and replace then paint them white.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you so much, Annette!

    Thanks for your suggestion regarding the recessed light bulbs Clay Aragon, that would be a quick way to brighten the kitchen.

    Thank you, Kristy! I appreciate the input.

    Noted, chiflipper. Thank you!

    Thank you very much, jtz58! I was thinking painting the cabinets white would be a good way to brighten the room.
  • 8 years ago
    jj610, Briana Bosch, paulinteriors, Missi Rogge, Denysse Smith, Steven, Linda, lisadlu16, teddytoo, dan1888, Monique Barrow, woodteam5... Thank you so much! Definitely appreciate each and every one of your thoughts and suggestions.
  • 8 years ago
    Susan Krueger, thank you!

    I love how your kitchen looks... it's so much brighter because of the white countertop and backsplash!
  • 8 years ago
    I appreciate your thoughts, jhmarie... Would love to see a picture of your kitchen!
  • 8 years ago
    Love the suggestion... thanks, functionthenlook!
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you, jlcat68! I love what Susan Krueger did to her kitchen, too!
  • 8 years ago

    You can readily brighten the kitchen with light countertops and backsplash. Light countertops reflect light upwards. Your cabinets are beautiful.

    Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

    Sometimes people paint the island a different color.

    Petrucci · More Info

    French Country Kitchen Cabinet Restoration · More Info

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, housegal200... The kitchens in the pictures are all beautiful, but the first one would have to be my favorite!
  • 8 years ago
    I personally love your kitchen. Do not paint the cabinets. Upgrade the lighting and if the remodel bug has hit, change out the counters and backsplash. You have a beautiful kitchen that will look cheap painted white.
  • 8 years ago
    Oh, Denysse Smith, I believe our wall color is Benjamine Moore, Yorkshire Tan.
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you very much for your suggestion, bellburgmaggie!
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you very much for your suggestion, bellburgmaggie!
  • 8 years ago

    Jody, I do not know how much you want to do in there. If you are considering keeping your dark counters and painting your cabinets white then perhaps a new lighter backsplash might help also, along with a lighter paint color and bigger pendant lights? But if you only plan white cabinets with your current hard finishes, try googling “white cabinets with dark backsplash dark counters”. See what you think of what comes up. Put same search terms in Pinterest. No matter what we might think, the person who lives in the kitchen needs to feel happy with her space. Look at a ton of pix.

    Red

  • 8 years ago

    I just saw this photo here on Houzz. They also have black appliances (which just makes everything harder I think...) but you get a sense of lots of dark with white cabinets.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Your cabinets are beautiful painting them would be like all the people who put carpet over hardwood in the 70s. Try updating the pendants and the cabinet pulls to something with a little more contemporary style. You could change your pantry (?) door to a single panel shaker and the knob to match the new cabinet pulls.

    You could also change the color of your lightbulbs to a more true white LED to see if that changes the color for you. The one big thing could be to change the backsplash.


    Try searching houzz for inspiration kitchens that have the same cabinets but different accessory colors.

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with everyone above, your cabinets are really beautiful. That being said I think you could make a big impact with a change in backsplash and paint color. Lighter counter tops would help too depending on how much you want to change and spend.

  • 8 years ago

    I have a huge kitchen full of white cabinets that were custom built a few years and I am soooo over them. They show every bit of dirt and grime since I have 4 children at home. We are getting ready to sell our house and in our next house, I will not again do white cabinets, especially since it'll be on our farm. Your cabinets are lovely.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH