0

This old old unfinished kitchen

Debra Zarkivach

Our kitchen is so old it hasn't been done in 30+ years or more. Part of the reason is due to costs. Living in NJ is extremely expensive so we have to take short cuts. We have all new appliances on order including a Range, Refrigerator, Over the range Microwave, and a Dishwasher. I am not good with measurements but will do my best. I will supply some pictures tomorrow and hopefully get some tips on finally get a few things done. I am not into very fancy looking items. I like more of the plain clean look. I also don't like dark colors including wood. Cherry wood or even close would be a huge no for me. I do like light pastels. Hope some of you can help. Thanks

• karemore55
    A,so, potatoes can replace meat on your plate. Just cook lots of potatoes and lots of veggies and fill your plate with that. Don't start adding in a lot of grains or you will start to get blood sugar issues. Oh, and in addition to potatoes eat lots of sweet potatoes/yams and lots of squash. Those starchy veggies are not only extremely good for you, they also fill you up and keep you satisfied. Just think of the starchy veggies as your meat. For tonight, just do one or two baked potatoes for yourself (and an extra for Paul!), and pile veggies over it. Or make soup - squash soup or sweet potato soup - and a salad.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

I do look at my Pintrest they have some great ideas. I am kind of new to this so I am learning. I also know a few Vegan's and that helps.

• karemore55
    It won't take you long to get the hang of it. You'll feel so much better, I'm sure!
  • everdebz

Happened to notice you said yellow-ish walls - beating on it I guess, but not sure that hot yellow will complement... oh well, but more on a protein topic: I am recently into quinoa, and read it's a 'complete protein'... good 'luck' Debra-houzzer!!

• Debra Zarkivach

Karemore. I am not so sure about this vase. The picture makes it looks like a tumbler but it's much bigger. I thought it would wow me. But I am not feeling it.

• karemore55
    It might be because you don't have flowers in it yet? Do you have any faux flowers around the house that you can place in it, to test out the size? Doesn't have to match.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

They did have large light pink flowers in the store. But I just wasn't able to tell.

• karemore55
    I think you'll find it looks good once it's filled with flowers. I looked at the faux flowers on Pier 1 site, and you will have to pay close attention to the height of the flowers....I saw some pretty dahlia and peony stems but they were 29" high, which is way too high. But this ranunculus bouquet, for example, is just the right height for that vase, and I think the colors would be pretty. But, since this is going on a table I wonder if you should return the vase and get something lower? I'm not sure how often the table gets pulled out and someone sits on the opposite side, but if it's often - and you plan to keep the flowers/case on the table even during meals - then something taller would block people's views across the table. Unless you don't want to see their face anyway lol. If you normally move the vase to the counter when eating, then it doesn't matter. The height of the lemon vase is actually pretty good as far as "connecting" with the word art above the table.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    Here's another bouquet that would work - maybe the multiple colors looks too busy for you? But it will work, design-wise.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

Yes I agree it's a nice size and most likely it is because it's empty.

• karemore55
    I'll do you a collage. Hang on....
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    Those are the aqua placemats from Target, right? They look a lot darker in your pic.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

The placemats are from Pier One.

• Debra Zarkivach

They do look darker in the picture.

• karemore55
    That's what I thought, but I didn't see them on the site. I'll look again. In the meantime, here are the two bouquets and I'm using aqua placemats from Target so the color might be identical but close enough, probably.
  • Debra Zarkivach

Now I don't think the table is looking so good all of a sudden. Not sure the mats are OK.

• karemore55
    To me it looks beautiful! What is bothering you about it? Does it still look bare?
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

Maybe it's the placemats. Maybe they are a bit too dark. The ones you showed from Target look lighter.

• Debra Zarkivach

You think the teal I picked is too dark. It's not blending with the vase like I thought it would.

• karemore55
    They don't look too dark to me. But I know you don't love dark colors so.... Is it too late to return them? If so, I wouldn't worry about it because they do look OK.
  • karemore55
    For the life of me I can't find them on the pier one site though...I checked again.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

You think teal seat cushions and teal napkins won;t be too much?

• karemore55
    No, I don't think it will be too much - in fact, it will create a nice coordinated effect. But I feel your napkins should be some sort of pattern - a stripe or floral, maybe?
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    Sorry I thought you said teal seat cushions and placemats, not napkins. Well. Of the three - seat cushions, placemats and napkins - ideally one of those should be a pattern. You could do it with all solids too; there's nothing wrong with that. But I think you'd be happier with some pattern thrown in there?
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    I was back on World Market site and spotted these napkins which I thought were so pretty. This pattern also comes as a placemat. So, you could do solid teal for the chair pads and napkins, then the floral for your placemats? Or solid chair pads and placemats, but floral napkins? I think I lean more toward that one - floral for the napkins. Or some sort of pattern for the napkins.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    What do you think of this combo? The chair pad and napkin are from World Market.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • everdebz

if counter has specks of tan no reason to ignore it, you can repeat the warmth with a metal: copper? with flowers too. Teal and metal are good contrasts to set... yet not totally dark.

Laurel Urn Vase · More Info

Debra Zarkivach thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

If you garden, this seems so nice for any flower at all. :)

Bottles in Metal Stand, Gray/Copper · More Info
    Debra Zarkivach thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

7 W and 12 H - nice with teal probably, and crearmy yellow etc. flowers:

Apollo 3-Piece Glass Vase Set · More Info
    Debra Zarkivach thanked everdebz
  • Debra Zarkivach

Karemore I like that set up. You think it’s too many colors?

• karemore55
    No, not at all, Debra. I know you're leary of pattern but that bit of pattern in the chair pads isn't loud or flashy, and the colors are very cheery and uplifting. I do think you need a bit of pattern, otherwise you're going to keep looking around and thinking its unfinished and like it's missing something. For some reason the colors in the chair pad remind me of you! I think if the pink trim on the outside of your house, and I believe that I've front room is painted a misty violet? And I remember the wreath in your front door (if it's still there), and all those co,ors are pastels and spring colors. So, the chair pad colors seem to be capturing all the colors of your house.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    And don't forget the chair pads won't be all that visible since the chairs are usually pushed into the table.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    I am just now noticing that the X or diamond pattern in the chair pads is picking up on the X that is on the backs of the chairs. That's a design trick...where you repeat patterns but in different scales. It's very pleasing to the eye.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

I like that whole set up except for that orange flower.

• Debra Zarkivach

For some reason I have a very hard time adding/blending colors and designs into my lifestyle. Everything I pick is very solid, plain and square.

• karemore55
    Well, after all that I thought I'd check the dimensions of the seat cushion and it's going to be too big. Not only that, I checked the dimensions of other World Market seat cushions as well as Pier One seat cushions, and they're ALL too big. I don't know why I didn't think to do that from the start. Anyway, all I could find was one IKEA seat cushion that would be the right size. There may be more out there but I have to stick to the sites that are familiar to me. I know there are online stores such as Hayneedle and Wayfair, and they offer lots of selection but I assume you don't want to go the online route?
    Anyway, at this point there are two choices - this IKEA chair pad or no chair pad at all?
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    I understand about you shying away from pattern....solids are more calming and obviously patterns have more energy and can have the opposite effect. A lot has to do with the colors in the pattern, though, and I also find that a small scale pattern like the IKEA chair pad is quieter than a larger pattern. So I think you are just unconsciously gravitating toward soothing colors and minimal pattern as it helps with your stress?
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    I did notice that Ikea carries chair pads in white which in the moment seemed kind of blah, but in retrospect maybe white is a great color for your chair pads? But keep in mind you don't have to have chair pads at all....unless you prefer them for comfort?
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    A little quieter?
  • everdebz

Same 'chalky' look as your saying piece... ? any resemblance to your counter?

Bassett Mirror Hand-Painted Canvas Copper Vase · More Info
    Debra Zarkivach thanked everdebz
  • Debra Zarkivach

Karemore I love the teal ones you posted above. I think they would work for me.

• Debra Zarkivach

I just noticed that chair pad is outdoor use. So I am thinking that may be that rough material. Yes, I do want chair pads. Just not those real thick ones.

• karemore55
    I'm pretty sure the material won't feel rough...and possibly the outdoor type might have that scotchguard type finish so that spills and spots are easy to wipe? But I'm not sure, how close is IKEA to you? I wi dear if it's too early in the season to go check them out? You might have to wait a month or so, unless they carry them year round.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • Debra Zarkivach

Karemore, Would this work?

• karemore55
    Oh, that's very pretty - do you mean as a bouquet for your vase? I think it would look great!
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    Not the greatest visual, but you can see how the bits of yellow in some of the flowers picks up in the wall color and also the yellow of the vase. And the flowers look very lovely with the placemats.
    Debra Zarkivach thanked karemore55
  • everdebz

I happen to love the bouquet colors, soft as can be...not with taxicab yellow which is a shouting color.

Debra Zarkivach thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

In a kitchen ya have metal finish, so how about a subtle not shiny metal vase, or pale neutral glass vase... flowers alone have color. :)