Software
Houzz Logo Print
davenmare

Help with Kitchen makeover

13 years ago
Planning to replace the white Formica with light (pecan color) wood cabinets. Not replacing the floor at this time. Will a white or cream countertop work with same colour backplash? Or do I need a darker countertop? I am think of using narrow and long handles for hardware. I really appreciate your input. Will also need a colour for the walls.

Comments (32)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would suggest updating the backsplash as well since you are going to update other elements as well.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with Dytecture about updating the backsplash, even if that means just removing the tiles and painting the wall. If you went with a white or cream, I would suggest looking at our GEOS Recycled Glass Surface in White Birch. Its a great white with a healthy balance of both white and cream. The glass creates some abstractness so you aren't left with a plain old white surface.
  • 13 years ago
    Agree - backsplash will be minimal cost to update & will make a big difference. A cream counter will be fine. Since you have white appliances, you'll want to keep that in mind on your decisions.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Agreed to update the backsplash as well if you're in the renovation process. Good luck with your process!
  • 13 years ago
    I was planning to change the backsplash after I determined the color of the countertop. I like combination of the White Birch, with a cream backsplash, but worry about the floor looking out of place, especially with the dark grout. I wonder if a medium grey counter top would work (St. Lawrence or a silver/grey), with a light or white backsplash????

    I was also looking at changing the grout color of the floor tiles, but that may be tedious. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is my mockup of your pecan cabinets with a cream countertop and some type of stone backsplash picking up the cream tone. I've put in a similar floor.
    Overall, I have to say that I find this combination somewhat boring, perhaps a darker countertop would improve things... can try it.
  • 13 years ago
    Kristie - I like your color combination, and your floor looks great! I have to do something to my floor to improve the way it looks now.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I was actually going to suggest St. Lawrence before, but remembered you had asked about a white or cream countertop. I think that the grey would look great with a light or cream colored backsplash. Especially with the wood cabinets. Maybe even looking into our Aspen color, which would go well with a cream backsplash and the white appliances, while maintaining your current floor tiles and grout.
  • 13 years ago
    Sstarr93 - thanks for the photo. Agree it looks somewhat boring, and am pondering over a darker countertop - but not too busy and not too dark.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here's the silver/grey counter with a travertine mosaic backsplash. Somewhat better, but not quite there. What style are you going for?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @EOS, is that a countertop material? Thanks.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes it is, it is part of our GEOS collection of Recycled Glass Surfaces. It is actually manufactured with a polyester resin, which not many recycled class countertops are, that allows it to be stain resistant, heat resistant, extremely durable, and you never have to wax or seal it!
  • 13 years ago
    I don't have a particular style for the backsplash, but not too busy and a layout that will draw in the eyes. It could require a combination of textures or a splash of color. Still looking for ideas.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    ok, here is the grey EOS surface countertop, with a plain silver backsplash. Too cold to go with the floor?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Don't know whether you've considered mosaic; here are a couple. On the left, a glass mosaic with warm tones as well as grey/blue. On the right, an opaque mosaic with modern colorway picking up the cream. Shown with a mid-gray countertop.
  • 13 years ago
    @sstarr93 - Thank you for your suggestions. I like the grey top, but find the backsplash too busy - but they do match the floor better than the other choices.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is a more modern look: Ergon engineered stone backsplash from Emil Ceramica, which is a very thin, large-format tile, in Grey Falda. Also modern cabinet hardware.
  • 13 years ago
    I really appreciate your assistance in putting this together. Not sure if the Grey backsplash works. It's a little boring like the Cream counter/stone backsplash you did earlier. Comparing the two, I prefer the cream. I think now they may not be the right choices in countertops. I found some others that may work better with the cabinet & floor colour. What do you think? These have extra color we can play with.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    ok, I'll try these, with cream backsplash!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here you go!
  • 13 years ago
    Wow! Thank you so much. It really helps to visualise the color combination. I really appreciate your help. What program are you using to put all this together? Is there a free one out there?
    Here is a better view of my kitchen layout - without the preferred choices of counter and backsplash.
  • 13 years ago
    sstar rocks!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    ;-) Thanks Jayme, you're too kind!
    @davenmare, I use Trimble Sketchup, which has a free version. Sometimes (not this time) I use a rendering engine too, and for some simple things I use Photoshop.
    If you'd like, I can draw up your layout to your dimensions. Then give you the file so you can play with it yourself.
  • 13 years ago
    @ sstar93, I downloaded Trimble but it will take me a while to figure it out. Can I take up your offer to draw my layout to the dimensions close to my photo? Then I will have to figure out how to change the counter and backsplash surfaces to show different styles. Any quick pointers? Thanks so much.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Absolutely, I would be happy to. Yes, I can explain exactly how to set up new surfaces, etc. It's a little involved, as you may have surmised ;-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    ok, here's your kitchen, or a reasonable facsimile thereof..
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you sstar93. This will really help me. Now how do I take your file and view new Counter top surfaces and backsplashes? I think the backsplash needs a design or textured tile in a colour to complement the countertop.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yep. I've made my idea book private, and included you as an invitee. If you leave a message on the ideabook with your email address, I'll send you the file and some initial instructions. Then you can delete the comment from my idea book.
    It's the best I could do to have some sort of communication...;-)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Oh and if that doesn't work, I might be able to publish the kitchen to the Sketchup 3d Warehouse. That would take more doing....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Still trying to reduce the file size to 10MB (Google's rule for the 3d warehouse). It's at 11.2MB, mostly because it has interactive cabinet doors and drawers. Email would be easier.
  • 12 years ago
    I think Kristie Parcell's countertop with look great in your kitchen too!
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH