Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

Need basic intructions in propagation and exchange etiquette

Hello =),

Sorry for sounding dumb, could anyone please give me some direction regarding propagation and exchange etiquette? I am a new at this, and have almost by accident managed to root some cuttings from roses in my garden. How do I know which roses I am allowed to root, and exchange with friends and family? Do I just have to check they do not have an active patent in order to share? I would appreciate your guidance in this regard. I do not want to do inappropriately propagate or share any roses. Sorry if this has been asked before, I have no managed to figure out how to search old topics yet.

Dianela

Comments (8)

• dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you very much gagalzone8 =),

I been going to HMF lately and looking at a lot of roses. I did not know if there were any other regulations besides the patent year. I am looking forward to experimenting with cuttings and exchanging roses. This forum is such a wonderful place for rose lovers everywhere. Thank you!

• gagalzone8
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I also believe there are restrictions on sending plant material into Cal. I am sure someone will chime in and let you know!

dianela7analabama thanked gagalzone8
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

gagal is correct. I don't believe we can send any material to CA without obtaining photosanitary stuff, etc. to avoid spreading disease there. However, the folks in CA can ship their plants to us!

dianela7analabama thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

I dunno about the CA thing. I had someone send me cuttings from TX a few yrs ago. Plus not all rose suppliers have to have phytosanitary certificates to ship to CA. The only ones I've seen with them are Canadian suppliers. I mean I could be wrong on that. Things might've changed. You never know with this friggin' state!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Beth, I remember last year Cori Ann investigated and posted on it. It's my understanding they've been in place for many years, but I could be wrong! I'll try to find the post. I think there may even be restrictions within CA. I'm sure someone could send something in from elsewhere as they can't check every package, but I don't want to be the one who sends some horrible pest into CA and helps destroy some area of agriculture. I think you guys have enough problems with drought! : ( If it's NOT the case, I can share all my plants with you! : )

• gagalzone8
    6 years ago

I agree Vap! I would hate to be guilty of killing off farm crops!

• Cat
    6 years ago

We are in Wa state and you have to send in sticks or rooted cuttings bare root. So shake soil off and pack in damp newspaper tie a plastic shopping bag around roots not too tight and put in an envelope. Sticks are easy. They have no roots. I swap sticks easily with neighbors, and have propagated lots of roses. I don't think there is a special time of year, I just treat them like everything else and they have buds and leaves already and its real cold still. Oddly. They did well.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County