Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
masons_online

hide wall toilet paper dispenser

Kathy Mason
6 years ago

I am hoping for a clever way to hide/disguise a builder typical wall toilet paper dispenser. My daughter does not use it and just leaves the rolls on the floor. I can put a cute basket for her to use, but would like to somehow disguise the unused dispenser, if possible. You all are so clever. Any ideas? ....that don't involve a lot of taping and drywalling. Any ideas?

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

what do you mean she doesn't use it? If you put the roll on the dispenser, what happens? or do you mean when it comes time to change the roll? how old is she?

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    It’s a bathroom. It should have a toilet paper roll dispenser. It seems like it would be easier just to teach your daughter to use the dispenser than to disguise it…
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

well that's what I was going to say after I found out the age! If she's not an adult, then yes, teach her to put the roll on the dispenser. Anyone going through all the trouble of trying to come up w/a solution because someone can't be bothered to follow a simple request, well,,,,,never mind.

• MotherOfGiants
    6 years ago
    Hopefully this isn't a bathroom used by guests... hiding the paper would be cruel in that situation! :)
  • lshack17
    6 years ago
    Ummm is this a joke?
  • MotherOfGiants
    6 years ago
    Assuming this is an entirely private bathroom and no guests will be distressed by not finding a toilet paper dispenser, why not just remove it from the wall? You could then just fill in the holes, or conceal them with the first of a series of floating shelves going up the wall, depending on the space.
    Kathy Mason thanked MotherOfGiants
  • hatetoshop
    6 years ago

I wouldn't remove or hide it. If she is the only one using the bathroom, then let her do her own thing. Every once in a while, you can go in and put a roll on the dispenser. One day, she'll move out or you'll sell the house, and you'll want the dispenser.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I think this is someones idea of a joke honestly.Who has kids that don’t use the toilet paer on the dispenser. If she hates that one get a new one.

• MotherOfGiants
    6 years ago
    Patricia, it could be a joke, you're right. On the other hand, my son (now 4) went through a time where he thought getting tp off the storage holder was amazing but the wall dispenser didn't interest him at all. There's no accounting for kids' preferences. :)
  • Kathy Mason
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, lots of comments. Thank you. Unfortunately, this is not a joke. She's a senior in high school and this is her bathroom, no guests. When the roll is out on the dispenser, she just puts the new one on the floor. I think a lot of you are right, I'm overthinking it. I'll just get a basket for her to put the roll in on the floor and keep one in the dispenser so it doesn't look unused. I will admit, I'm probably the only one that it bothers, so I need to let it go. I'm just like you all, how hard is it put a roll on the dispenser??

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    No, this is a joke. It's just not funny. I thought she was very young, maybe it was a post potty training quirky things. But a senior in high school?!? What will happen if she goes away to college and she does the same thing? She will be made fun of and be known as the weird toilet paper girl. I feel kind of bad for her.
  • Kathy Mason
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm sorry I asked for ideas. Signing off.

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

Kathy, I get it. Young adults just don't care about the same stuff we care about. It's unimportant. They just don't see it. Take comfort in the fact that, this too shall pass.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I have found that using their phone service as a motivator, really works like charm. I know I know, pick your battles. But kids have to work w/the parents as well. "honey, I'm asking you to place the roll on the holder. takes 15 seconds. maybe turning off service on your phone for a day or two will help jog your memory". Now if she's good about everything else, the perfect child, then I wouldn't sweat this.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

When my boy's were teens, I just shut the door to their bedrooms. They shared the hall bath (tough life). If their bedrooms got too bad Mom cleaned them. You DID NOT want Mom to clean. No telling what got threw in the trash while you were at school. Questionable magazines. ect. Heaven forbid that you spent your money on tobacco! That was garbage for sure. No corner was safe. Mattresses moved. Didn't take long before they kept the clutter under control. All grown and gone. They keep excellent house now.

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

My daughter is a kind, empathetic soul, does exceptionally well at university, and has so many other positive attributes. If she chose to leave the t.p. on the back of the toilet, etc., I'd be cool with it. Priorities.

• User
    6 years ago

Kathy Mason, just buy a free standing tissue holder just for her

• Kathy Mason
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your kind comments : )

• knicetime
    6 years ago

I think your idea of a cute basket to put tp in is a good one. You can keep dispenser filled so it looks neat. I’ve seen many pics on Houzz with this feature. Sorry if you feel picked on. I think you are brave for posting this dilemma.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

You do know you can flag comments? Hover over the flag in the upper right and pick the reason. There is no reason for anyone to be nasty on here.

• grannysmith18
    6 years ago

One of the funniest scenes from Mad About You. Very apropos.Toilet Paper Demonstration

Kathy Mason thanked grannysmith18
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

Thank you grannysmith18!!!

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    Hi Kathy, you signed off after my comment so it appears that I offended you, although it was not my intention. I am always defending other posters who receive rude comments about their home or taste so to offend someone else is not in my nature. I will say that if one chooses to post here, they do open themselves up to opinions that they may not agree with and maybe thicker skin is something to think about? I will explain myself further, my comment was out of legitimate concern for your daughter. My experience was with my 19 yr old niece who is a freshman in college this year. She is sharing a bathroom with strange girls for the first time and they can be brutal when someone does anything slightly different. My niece clogged the toilet during the first week of school and she is still hearing the names and mean comments. Girls that age call each other out and form cliques over the smallest things, when in fact they should be supporting one another. Anyway, just wanted to explain as I probably should have done initially.
  • Lesley Nash
    3 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has ideas to answer this question. My husband only buys double rolls and they don’t fit in the wall one so we have a floor one

• Stacy Tolliver
    last year

I would like to know too, Lesley!!! I don’t know why so many people were rude and acted like this was that big of a deal.
    My fiancé and I just moved into an apartment and the toilet paper holder is placed decently far from the toilet to where it’s uncomfortable to reach - I googled ideas and this came up. Super helpful people 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Olychick
    last year
    last modified: last year

Can you post a pic of the holder you want to disguise? Maybe an arrangement of baskets hung on the wall with the lowest one covering the holder? I’m thinking that kids sometimes wrest control over things like this with their parents, but are perfectly capable of behaving appropriately with their peers when they need to. maybe something like this… she can toss the roll in and the lower one can cover the holder. Maybe fem hygiene products in the upper one? or reading/magazines?

Or just do one.

• Lisa Dipiro
    last year

All styles. I like the cat one it’s cute

• Alicia Nichole
    3 months ago

Im 30 and i dont use my toliet paper holder i set it on the side of the bathtube or on the back of the toliet. everyone is different! shaming this womens daughter or anyone for doing this instead of using the toliet paper holder is just rude and ignorant and you clearly lack empathy or understanding that all people are different and do things differently. she was looking for advice not people to bully her or her daughter and yall should be ashamed of yourself for bullying her.

• bpath
    3 months ago

I wouldn’t worry about. A toilet paper holder of some kind is part of any bathroom, and it’s your daughter’s choice to use it or not, or to use it for some other purpose. Keep them both.

• Coolta Eason
    3 months ago

My fancy smancy apartment tried to be too fancy with the tp holder and it‘s completely useless…the tp always rolls off onto the floor when i use it. I googled for ideas for repurposing the holder and came here. Man, you people are brutal…you attacked this poor women for asking a simple question and then made fun of her daighter, not kind at all! I have never been a fan of tp holders; a lot of times they’re just awkwardly placed, so I can totally understand that there could be other reason why her daughter does not use the holder. With that said, I’d really like to know if anyone has ideas for repurposing my tp holder. I don’t want to use it as storage as one person suggested bc i think naturally my guests will use and i dont want to experience the runaway toilet paper.