leilahamaya

Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 8

leila hamaya

Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 8

we came from here: [adopt-a-newbie-ongoing-list-7[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/adopt-a-newbie-ongoing-list-7-dsvw-vd~3701239)

Newbies & New Sponsors:

Please read the directions. We will not list you if you are missing things.

Newbies, might you like a little help getting started growing and trading seeds?

Brand new, hoping for more garden variety, needing a boost after a garden or financial loss, or just want a little advice?

Veterans, do you have extra seed that could help a new gardener-trader get started? From accidental over-harvesting, buying enough commercial seed for varieties' sake, or because you just want to help others grow?

Newbies are newbies if they are:

truly new to Gardenweb, OR

are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR

could really use help with seed access for any reason.

Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

Newbie Adoptees:

Pre-adoption procedure-

--Your messaging settings must be correct on your profile page in order to be put on the list.

Make sure your email setting is correct (see link below in the next post).

--Make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything that helps someone match to you).

--Sign up by posting here. Tell us something about your garden interests. A short vertical list of some general or specific wants inside your intro post is helpful.

--Include both your zone & state in your profile page

Costs to the newbie adoptee:

--Pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.

--'Seeds only' adopts are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $2.50+bubble envelope to $5.00 and bubble envie/other protection included by the veteran. --'Plants too' adopts are usually Priority Mail and may cost about $6 - $15 depending on size.--Postage payment options include paypal, stamps, check, money order.

When you are contacted for adoption:

--Check back here to confirm you have been adopted.

--Arrange postage costs and gift details with your adopter.

--Send postage to your adopter.

--After receiving the seed package, thank your adopter & post here too

--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate and Review forum.

Sponsors who want to adopt:

--Standard amount for an adoption = 10 packs of seeds, more if you would like. Seeds are the focus, though you can contribute plants too if the timing is zone-appropriate.

--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ interests.

--Post here and claim your newbie, so we know who has been adopted.

--Email/message your newbie, introduce yourself, and offer to adopt them. Let them know what would be most convenient for you, the amount of postage you require, your address, etc.

--If you can, post here when you receive the postage and send the newbie their new seeds. Otherwise let them know that you have mailed, so they know when to look forward to your package.

A few final requests of newbies -

-- Check back here every so often, and if you are not adopted quickly, make a fresh post every now and again, to let everyone know you are still actively seeking adoption.

--If someone adopts you, and you do not respond here or via messaging within a week, your name will no longer be on the list. If you are removed by this, or through some error, just make a fresh post to indicate you are still seeking adoption.

--If you no longer wish to be on the list, or if you dont intend to follow through with sending postage, just let the adopter know you no longer want the seed adoption, or let us know so we can remove your name from the list. no explanation needed, just be sure to let us know, to prevent veteran adopters from being frustrated with this process.

--Please respond to the veteran adopter when they message, and please follow through on sending your postage in a timely way.

• Dustin Chapman
    last year

Hi All!!

I'm a newbie gardener in zone 9b who has always had an interest (I grew plants in our school greenhouse in FFA in high school) in gardening, especially vegetable and sustainable. I care for the plants that are already in my yard well enough, but I've always wanted to do more. I recently had my bday, and was randomly gifted some tomato plants by a stranger at the Rabbit's Foot Meadery where I was celebrating! I took it as a sign to get my garden going officially! I am super interested in heirloom tomato varieties, pickling cucumbers, and also any heirlooms from German or Mennonite heritage, or Kansas/Illinois heritage, as I'd love to connect with my farming ancestors' roots! I have also recently gotten into canning and preserving when I got a windfall of peaches and plums from my mother's garden she didn't know what to do with, so anything that grows that is good for preserving! And I also know that veggies and fruit do better when there are flowers around to attract pollinators, so any heirloom flowers are great, too! This sounds like an awesome program and I'm pumped!!

Thank you,

Dustin

• Sarai Gomez
    last year

Hi, I’m hoping to be adopted. I am in zone 5 IL. We moved into a new house and my children and I would like to add a garden area that will attract all types of wildlife like bees, butterflies, hummingbirds and birds. Also will be adding a small veggie garden.

Wish List

perennials that will attract butterflies, hummingbirds, bees

coneflowers

milkweed

allium

lavender

marigolds

colorful annuals

bird friendly plants

cooking herbs

green beans

cucumber

green/red peppers

watermelon

anything that might repeal mosquitos

Thank you very much!

Sarai

I was given a painting that could be cool OR maybe it is totally lame?

@judyg. I like to think that the little French cafe that you pointed out is the Cafe Madeleine that sits at the intersection of rue Tronchet and the Place de la Madeleine, one of my many favorite pit stops, even though like most well placed cafes it is over-the-top expensive and noisy. The nose full of exhaust fumes street-side came free of charge. But in the "painting" the cafe, which I don't recall as actually existing, is on the rue Royale just before it meets the Place at the front of the Madeleine, though no effort was made to represent the several lanes of traffic that go whizzing by the Church, which sits on a block of its own, making up its own sort of roundabout of traffic. It is an artist's rendering after all and why ruin the beauty of Paris streets with "motor cars." Obviously the "painting" evoked memories of Paris for me and when I made my comments that's in fact all they were based on. I would have never imagined a simple posting would have brought such an avalanche of comments. I did make an effort to attach the images of the real Madeleine but I'm afraid I have not yet mastered that art of Houzz.

OLLD 4/26

Wellll. I don't really think my house has that kind of vibe to it! Lol. After much kicking the all around, I think I'm either biting the bullet and having the hole properly patched....tired of cobbling stuff together OR only because I sometimes put table in that space, back to the two tracks of lights?? Last discussion. I mean it.

Own a Deck House - Say Hello!

Our deck house in Sudbury, Mass has the original, dark stain on the t&g cedar/fur decking that forms the roof/ceiling. Does anyone have experience sanding this to make it lighter? Since a total makeover is on the horizon for this house, I'm thinking that sandblasting be an option. I've added <1 inch depth t&g boards to the bathroom to lighten it up, but the look is a bit shiny and un-Deck like. Also, in response to an earlier post about the surfacing material for the flat-roof-deck over the garage, a Boston-area contractor recommended Duro Last membrane, and it is has held up very well.

Declutter Challenge - January 2016

Hi ~ I am just refreshing my memory. Here I am a year later and still not organized. I did manage to sell a lot of baby items (car seats, strollers, etc.). Still unable to part with the toys. I bought a book on cluttering to add to my other two! LOL. So, the new book I bought is, "Lose the Clutter, Lose the Weight" by Peter Walsh. I need to do both! So, I'll see how it goes. My daughter has informed me that when I go (die) everything goes. Hopefully, the other children will stop her from hiring one of those huge garbage bins. Any new people around? (Kariann)
  • val (MA z6)
    last year

Hi all! I've moved and settling in, lots to do still, but some time to help out some newbies. I'm in zone 6, so can help out Zone 5-7. if the following people are following this thread still and are interested in being adopted, please message me. Saria Gomez (Saria, you need to set up your messaging so other gardenweb members can message you, including me! if interested), Ange H, Tara, Jack Chase. Message me and respond on this thread so Leila can keep track of adoptions :D

• leila hamaya
    last year
    last modified: last year

our current list...........

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 4:

Zone 5:

HighColdDesert (5) nut and fruit tree, nettles

Katie Colvin(5) pond plants and other landscaping plants, perennials, hardy

cba2014 - veggies, edibles, tree and shrub, flowers

Zone 6:

Cole Bennett (ozarks) edibles, plant exchange, mentor

Anna C (IL z6a) herbs, veggies, container garden, perennials, shade tolerant

Zone 7:

Loridean Pedersen (7b-8a) perennials, flowers, drought tolerant

hominyhome(7a) edibles, new yard, dry, see want list

lavendarliny (7) flowers, new yard

appalachian sasquatch (7) veggies, herbs, fruit trees, pollinator friendlies

linda wells(7) house plants, herbs, edibles, flowers

tom jones(7a) seeds, cuttings, flowers and other plants

Zone 8:

John Mooney(8b) perennials, flowers, herbs, new landscaping

Nicholas Roe (8) fruit and nut trees, edibles

Manasi K (8b) peony, seattle area

Ian Robinson (8b) edibles and ornamentals, indoors

eyeofjedi (8) veggies, herbs, fruit, heirloom tomatoes

Zone 9-10:

E Currie (10) tropical, rare plants, fragrant, climbers

Kristan Suniks (9) container gardening, edibles, new to gardening

cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal) perennials, flowers, fruit, desert/dry

sleepyyy(10) container gardening, unusual herbs, leafy greens, edible flowers

Joseph Palas (10) bonsai, tree seeds, fruit and ornamentals

James Saucer(9) herbs, veggies, fruit, and pretty things

Dustin Chapman (9b) edibles, heirloom veggies, heirloom tomatoes, fruit, trees

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* click on the user names to see their member page, or earlier in the thread for their full want list.

also names are added in order of sign up - to adopt those who have been waiting the longest look at the top name for each zone

• leila hamaya
    last year

hey all, summer is a busy time outside and slow time here...and i too have been travelling and moving around, so-- sorry so long between updates.

i have updated the list, but many of those people have been waiting longer than a year.

names on top have been waiting the longest, but unfortunately many of them may have grown tired of waiting! and may not be checking here.

names on the bottom of each zone list are newer signups.

this thread has fizzled out a bit, but we've been keeping this going for a very long time and have gotten hundreds of newbies adopted!

so a call out to any vets and adopters...if you have some excess seed from recent harvests...maybe we can some newbies adopted.

NOTE TO NEWBIES - a lot of the recent signups didnt have their messenging settings enabled correctly. no one can contact you, so your name hasnt been added. if you are still seeking adoption, please make a fresh post after setting the messaging settings correctly -- click here to change profile settings

• emma m
    last year

Hello all! My husband and I are recently married and just moved into our first home. I am very interested in gardening outdoors and indoors, but I am overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. My tastes are very open, I am looking for all kinds of house plants to fill 2000sq ft as well as front yard gardening beds that have been prepped and a large garden space in the backyard. I am seriously open to absolutely anything-and ready to give them the care they need. I live in Central CA in zone 9. I have shaded, full sun, and partial areas to fill! Please adopt me and share your plant wisdom with a newbie:)

• Sarai Gomez
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have fixed my messaging settings and would still love to be adopted.

Wish List

coneflowers, milkweed

allium, lavender, marigolds

colorful annuals

bird friendly plants

cooking herbs

green beans, cucumber, green/red peppers

watermelon

anything that might repeal mosquitos

Thank you very much!

Sarai

• val (MA z6)
    last year

I have messaged Sarai and heard back ...I am adopting her :D

• garybeaumont_gw
    last year

Messaged Dustin and will be adopting him.

• eyeofjedi
    last year

Anyone want to help with an herb garden? Will probably have to do basic indoor but could maybe do outdoor. I just got a hose timer. Desert so I habe no idea. People seem to hate me trying to find out.

• leila hamaya
    last year
    last modified: last year

our current list...........

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 4:

Zone 5:

Zone 6:

Zone 7:

lavendarliny (7) flowers, new yard

Zone 8:

Manasi K (8b) peony, seattle area

Zone 9-10:

• val (MA z6)
    last year

Hi Eeyofjedi,

I have plenty of herb seeds to share and would be happy to help where I can, tho desert conditions are new to me.

• val (MA z6)
    last year

Emma, i'm not in your zone (I'm Z7) but happy to help with seeds and "wisdom" as much as possible. Message me if interested!

• Angela Dial
    last year

Hi. Do you know of anyone who would be willing to donate and mail some houseplants, succulents, and/or air plants? They would need to be in pots because the relative has no resources to repot them..

• Tammy Brundige
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm in Colorado so zone 5B

I lost my home last year to foreclosure, so I am trying to rebuild.

got a new place and I have 1/3 Acer, my grandson who is 7, he wants to help grandma garden, and I love flower, and houseplants. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

• Philip Halprin
    last year

hi there! I am new to backyard gardening and am trying to grow organic vegetables from seeds on a limited budget. Pretty much any seeds you could spare would be greatly appreciated. I live in Los Angeles which is a hot Zone 10b which means there is no frost and the plants need to be shaded with fabric in August. Thanks for your help!

• GardenMom
    last year

Hi I am new to gardening although not new to garden web as I created an account and have done the sase and stuff but I would be willing to buy cheap seeds to send to others to share but I just got a new home with my family. I have an autistic daughter and she loves flowers i also have a newborn son and would like to start gardening at my new home since i now have a nice yard. I already made a flower bed with bricks and mulch around my porch and i have a huge backyard i want to have a veggie and fruit garden. I am going to school online for a bachelors degree and really want to start traditions with my family and have hobbies to help me focus. I am in SC and know nothing about gardening. I would love a sponsor. Also I have tons of bubble envelopes due to ordering them free at usps.com so if i get plethora of seeds i will for sure send somne of mine to newbies like me. Thank you. I am so excited. I do not know how good i will be at this but the easiest flower for my front yard is my first step. Any help is so much appreciated. I have stamos and envelopes and bubble mailers and many more shipping supplies. You all can get them free at usps.

• val (MA z6)
    last year

I'd be happy to adopt Philip and gardenmom. will send them messages. While Im not in philip's zone, I do have a more than enough veggie seeds to share.

• val (MA z6)
    last year

Gardenmom messaged me back

• Amanda Gilman
    last year

im starting a homestead next year, we are just picking what property we want to call our forever home, and hope to be ready before next planting so i can get started. Im starting to collect seed now so i dont have to spend a ton of money. Zone 4b-5a needing veggies, herbs, edible flowers, anything that would help a self sufficient homesteader for my zone. I would greatly appreciate being adopted, and will return the favor when i can. thank you for your time.

• Kuro Fujimori

Hello! I am looking to be "adopted" I am nornot vvery good at English so I apologize if I'm not doing this right, I am in zone 9b. I am looking for some herbs which can be grown in small potspots, I quite like having fresh herbs aaeouns :^). Also I am willing to attempt to grow plants from seedsseeds which sounds like a very fun challenge! Anyhow thank you for reading my post and I hope you have a very good day! I apologize for typos as the site is very glitvhy ATM. ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_

• Candice Waters

I'd like to be adopted! I'm starting a container garden in zone 9, central Florida. I'm interested in-

Trees

Plumeria

zone appropriate flowers

vegetables that would do well in containers

fruits

• Mike Darrow

Hi there! I am brand new to this community. My family and I just moved to a new place where a garden is now possible. I have to start over with my seed collection, and now because of Covid-19, seeds are getting harder to find for sale. I would love to be adopted! This would allow my family to become more self sufficient. Looking for assistance with veggie and herb seeds for Zone 4a in MT.

Thank you!

• Andrea Diaz

Hello, I am new to the seed exchanging and would like to be set up appropriately with the email settings before posting a wish list, the post says to see next post below with link, but I do not see it, maybe i dont know how to reach the next post, can someone send me the link please, thanks

• Summer D.

Hi everyone! My name is Summer, and I just bought a house in Pittsburgh. I've got almost an acre, and I'm mostly looking for plants that can attract pollinators and butterflies, or plants that will grow well in the shade! I'm in zone 6b.

• Michelle P

Hi! I’m a super new gardener and learning many things. Although I’m older, I’ve never had much opportunity to grow anything. I’ve been trying to educate myself online but I’m so confused because so many people contradict one another. I’m looking for someone experienced to provide guidance and answer questions. I would like seeds to start a garden, unusual flowers, plants to attract ladybugs, and pollinators and butterflies. I also need help learning about propagating seeds. Any help and knowledge would be appreciated.

• Maya Ratner

Hey! Maya I be adopted? I'm trying my hand at gardening and growing seeds for my college community in my backyard and I'd love the tips, tricks, and what to work with. This is my first garden from seed to fruit I've only ever worked with plants before.

• Maya Ratner

Oops! Just updated messaging now ☺️

• Shaili Shah

New here, looking for heirloom tomato, capsicum, potato, onion, radish, carrots, broccoli, herbs or any others i should start with seeds as advised

based in India, zone 9

• Beth Brownberry

MichelleP You need to activate "message" on your page to participate. What is your zone Conflicts in info/advice may be nothing more than some things work better in certain weather and climates

• Michelle P

Beth...I don’t understand how to activate

• Jordan Mandernach

Hi All,

Stumbled upon this site while researching about seed saving. I am looking to get deeper into gardening and have started to do a bunch of research to be able to do things right and learn to save seeds. In my past few years I have always bought plants and just used the very common varieties.

I am Zone 6, Iowa, USA.

I am most interested in vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, squash etc). However, I am open to anything else and advice.

If you don't have seeds, I would love recommendations on where to buy unique/rare seeds and any blogs or chatrooms. If there was a groupme or discord, I would love to join.

I have desires to grow to a very large garden, as it is an absolute joy to be outside. It is year 4 for my in-town garden and have expanded again. My upcoming goals are to purchase an acreage and learn to save and exchange seeds.

I am excited to be here and would love any help you can provide.

The post asks for a wish list, so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-epPDSapw that link would be a starting point, but I would be happy with anything.

Thank you.

• Maya Antonio

Hello, I am Maya. I started my first garden this spring with a few seeds I bought at lowes. Unfortunately the bugs have beaten me to almost all of my tomatoes, kale, and eggplants. My squash died after a fuzzy thing grew on the flowers :( so I am hoping to try again with a fall harvest. I would appreciate any seeds for zone 7, including the following:

Swiss chard

Lettuce

Asian greens

Microgreens

Carrots

Beets

I am open to anything really, as I'm just learning! Advise for zone 7 also very much welcome!!!

Thanks so every much in advance!!!

Cheers,

• Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b

Hi everyone! Is this still an active post? I would love to join as a newbie!

• garybeaumont_gw

Jamie,

It is best to tell what zone and state you are from so someone from a similar area can adopt. It is also good to tell what kind of seeds you are looking for, vegetable or flowers. Some people grow only flowers, others vegetables. The site has been slow this year but it would be worth a try.

• Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b

awesome! Just wanted be sure this was the active on and not another!

I’m in Florida, zone 9! I’m a newbie in all things plants! Grew up in PA with a seasonal summer garden and took a horticulture class in college so that is the extent of my plant knowledge. Looking to learn and hone my green thumb.

I’m trying to start my herb garden, just your basic Rosemary, thyme, basil & cilantro so far! Hubby and I are trying to expand it into a full blown garden so I will accept any herb, fruit or veggie!

I’m huge into succulents, cacti, ivy & house plants as well! I would actually prefer to propagate from clippings when it comes to these guys. I guess this is where my horticulture knowledge comes in!

And how could I forget about flowers! I have a few rose bushes in my landscaping, would love to expand my flower collection! Also trying to nurse an old orchid I had in college back to life. Open to anything!

In short, I’m really open to any seeds or clippings you’re offering. Trying to expand my knowledge and keep my plants happy and healthy while maybe making some new friends on the way!

• garybeaumont_gw

I have contacted and adopted Jamie.

• Susan Aitken

Hello! New here and looking for help with vegetable seeds. I just recently returned to work but have managed to get a few raised beds set up and ready. I live in zone 7 and we recently started caring for my mother in law. Hoping to not only grow some vegetables but to keep her active helping with gardening and canning. Also looking for a mentor to answer questions on saving seeds.

• Queenie Collins

I am new to the seed exchanges. I had do ne some patio gardening in large pots and have attempted (and failed horribly) at raised beds. I am interested in growing food of all kinds and flowers that attract bees and hummingbirds. I live in CT, zone 6.

• garybeaumont_gw

Reached out to Susan and Jordan but did not get a reply.

• Jeff Ica

Hi, newbie in zone 5b here. I hope to start flowers for the landscape around my house. I'm interested in native flowers and plants that I can start with the winter sowing method.

cleome

bachelor buttons

columbine

cosmos

love in a mist

orlaya

poppy

penstemon

coneflower

larkspur

snow on the mountain

rose of heaven

alyssom

verbena

delphinium

cat mint

salvia

spirea

• beth_b_kodiak

Message sent to Susan A

• Christin Lindley

Hey there!

My family and I are new to seed exchanges but not new to growing things. We live in North Louisiana, Zone 8A. We currently grow in the spring peppers (cayenne, anaheim, banana, jalapeno, and bell), tomatoes (these were meh last year. trying again this year. We have romas, beefsteak, rutger, and cherry) , squash, zucchini, okra (although that didn't go well last year, gotta reconfigure), and some onions. Right now we're trying our hands a broccoli and snow peas, but with that unexpected snow storm last week, I'm not sure that they're going to survive.

We're interested in literally anything that you think would grow in our Zone! We love growing our own food, but we're also interested in getting some good pollinator plants in here to attract more bees and butterflies. We have a lot of space and have room to plant pretty much anything! We also have some runoff areas we're trying to build back up and prevent from eroding, so anything that might be good for those areas would be great, too.

We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old that are also involved in our garden. We teach them about plants and we'd like to teach them about harvesting seeds, too!

We're interested in anything someone might want to send to us. We will use the seeds to learn more and teach our children about plants. Thanks!

• Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b

Christin, can you turn your messaging on? :)

• Christin Lindley

Ha! Yes as soon as I figure out how to!

• Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b

Settings -> advanced settings -> scroll all the way down and hit "allow anyone to message me". That should do it, Houzz is so finicky with messaging lol!

• Christin Lindley

Got it!

(Sorry that took so long. Had to tow a jeep out of mud.)

• Nicole Pegg

Hello!

I just bought my first home and my 10 and 7 year old asked me yesterday if they could have a garden this year (how could I say no to this request!). We are new to gardening and I am a little intimidated on were to start. We are in zone 6a. Requests by my kids are for :
    broccoli
    carrots
    brussel sprouts
    lettuce
    spinach
    zucchini
    strawberries
    sugar peas
    cucumbers
    tomatoes
    cauliflower
    (100% open to anything that will grow in our zone)

My daughter would also love to start an herb and flower garden.

Thank you sooo much!

• Passiflora Collector

New to this online community

-I am trying to collect passion fruit species and cultivars within those. I am most interested in edible fruited cold hearty types, but I have some space where I could grow tender tropicals. Inedible or sterile varieties would need to be types with particularly interesting flowers.

I have an established stand of caerulea growing, so I would only be interested other cultivars within that species. Haven’t fruited yet, but flowered nicely last Summer and has already started setting new buds.

-Also interested in fruits suited to the PNW maritime climate (it’s a zone 9b, but way cooler in the summer than anywhere else classified as the same zone).

-Vanilla orchid cuttings would also be of great interest & I have prior experience with orchids.

I have a large collection of culinary herb & vegetable seeds, so I would be able to send a swap in return. Trying to trade for what I can since I have extras and I know passion fruit seeds are easy to get if you have them growing 🙂

It seems like this is mainly for soliciting basic seeds for beginning gardens, but I thought it would be worth a try!

• garybeaumont_gw

Contacted and adopted Nicole.