Software
Houzz Logo Print
vickishaub

Here's my inspiration piece. Help me fill in the blanks for a bedroom.

13 years ago
I'm redecorating my bedroom. i need paint colors a bedspread, drapes. looking for contemporary styles but I cant make my vision a reality. help!

Comments (74)

  • 13 years ago
    I agree Carolins. They are really pretty, but just not working. What do you think about the spread? I'm not sold on it either. the color isn't bad but I don't like the texture. It's like a low pile velvet sort of. It's like when you rub it, it feels like stubble. Know what I mean? I'm about to paint the sample color and purchased some white sheers to play around with so we'll see what the vibe is with those as well.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the steely gray and I also like this BM silver lake. I would let that rug be the star of the room. Use what bedding and a subtle print for your window treatments.
    Palmer Point Road Residence 2 Master Bedroom · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    The spread I like, but if you don't like the texture, I'm sure there are better ones that you can spend your money on ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    Judyg, silver lake is gorgeous! I think you just gave me an idea:)
  • 13 years ago
    the spread I like too.
  • 13 years ago
    cait….don't keep me in suspense…I know this color. I have used it. It is gorgeous.
  • 13 years ago
    @Judy i like that color and love that room. I just put on the samples of steely gray and unless it dries to a lighter color, its not going to work for me. I also got one shade lighter I think its called monorail (SW) so I'll put that sample up and see what everyone thinks. i talked to another person whose design style I trust and she said to go with stripes in the drapes. I had not considered stripes (even though) @Genevieve suggested them. But now I get it. With the rug near the drapes I don't need the pattern in the drapes. So I'm in the hunt for drapes again. I'll think about the ones genevieve suggested too.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are the samples. left is steely gray right is monorail. I'm not freaked out about the steely gray anymore. i could do either. I do have to order the rug and it could be 4 to 6 weeks. so while I wait, I'm going to get swatches from halfpricedrapes.com and or look for other drapes. I don't think I'm going to keep the coverlet either. I may go with one of Carolins suggested spreads (I love the quilted one), but I'm going to wait for the rug before buying more. I have four stores to return to as it is...I'm exhausted!
  • 13 years ago
    Didn't realize the monorail picture was so blurry. Her it is again. The light in this corner wasn't as good as on the other side and this ipad is awful for pictures.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Not because I suggested it, but from what I can see in the pics... I prefer the darker steely gray. Wait with making the final colour decision until you've got the rug in the room if you're not too sure.
    The darker steely gray has such a calming, cozy vibe about it in the photos. And it looks so good against the dark wood and the white trim.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The steely grey provides a beautiful contrast with your dark furniture - great suggestion Carolins!
  • 13 years ago
    My master is painted with Steely grey! I think it'll go perfectly with your rug! Here's my master-in-progress ;)
  • 13 years ago
    Nice! Thank you so much for posting that pic. It's a beautifully rich color.
  • 13 years ago
    To be honest, I did see it in n3wyawk's room and thought it would be perfect for yours too ;-)
  • 13 years ago
    love the rug but I would use solid bedding if you do use that rug
  • 13 years ago
    For those wanting to know about the rug, it is here: http://plushrugs.com/kaleen/inspire/imagination/linen/
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, Kathy and Grover. grover, that's it. I didn't order yesterday because I wanted to be sure of the size before I did. This pic is the rug I used previously and is 5'3 x 7'6". Does everyone agree that this is large enough and in the right spot? I plan on putting some seating under the window. I saw a black bench that I think will work in front of the windows and on the rug. I would like the rug to be placed at the door so that it can be seen as you come down the hall into the living room.
  • 13 years ago
    beautiful light gray walls ?
  • 13 years ago
    I'm a bit late to the party, but have played around a bit with the room. I do think the drapes should be heavier and hung higher so that they hang perfectly straight. I would not puddle them. Here are a couple of renderings with the rug, two shades of gray, two colors of drapes, and the PB bedding.
  • 13 years ago
    So the rug goes here:
  • 13 years ago
    Amazing, Grover. Thank you so much for taking the time to put those together. I want to bring a little softer look into the room. I'll post more this afternoon including a pic of the bench. @Kathy, I'm still toying around with paint samples. I'm going to wait until I have drapes and rug in hand to finalize.
  • 13 years ago
    I love your rug!! Great place to start, I agree with the commenters about the darker grey paint, the sample on left. It adds depth. The size of the rug, however, is that where you plan on placing it, is that the only rug, because the scale is off. It either needs to be much much larger and take up more floor space, or you need to do multiple rugs. It's beautiful, but looks way too small. Also, I would add a down comforter to the bedding, it could look more polished. Even a simple duvet cover with the loftiness would add more of a custom look. Down pillows as well. By going with a darker color on the bedding and walls, you could add a hot color of say a chartreuse, with a little more yellow, say with a pillow, or a throw. Personally, I would not add any beige, stick with greys. I would do a solid drape again, monochromatic, someone posted a picture earlier of grey draperies. What you need is pull up the drapes, make the rod higher and get a more substantial rod. I'm not sure what the finish is, but a nickel would be fabulous. I love where you are going with this!!
  • 13 years ago
    One other thing about paint, I agree wait until you get the rug, there are apps from Sherwin Williams that you can use to take a pic, and they will suggest a paint color. Benjamin Moore has an app too.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the rug. I agree wait to paint. Steely gray did not show up well on here.,
  • 13 years ago
    One other comment, I looked at the rug again, I think crisp creams could work well with the greys, the beiges I think will be too muddy. Good Luck!
  • 13 years ago
    Blue comforter; white fluffy rug; dark brown bed stands.
  • 13 years ago
    I think you have your answer since the steely grey picture is the only one that turned out. I think you might be being told something !!! hahahaha ! Seriously... I like it with the dark furniture.
  • 13 years ago
    New window covers go steel gray roman shades. Love yr rug choice. Take one color from that for bedding. Mix with white sheets. And gray, and black for shames put 4 big pillow in shames. Walls a blue gray called pewter by Benjamin Moore white trim. Bigger lamps in silver base. White shades drum or square style. How are you doing rug how big?
  • 13 years ago
    Is that a light or fan in ceiling. I would do a chandleer in black, gray, crystals for a fun touch. Make room glam. Put TV on long media in dark wood center on wall do all windows in roman shades.
  • 13 years ago
    Didn't read other post don't use beige anywhere stay with 3 colors only for rm. if you want blinds behind drapes go black or gray.
  • 13 years ago
    Good light choice.
  • 13 years ago
    I would go 6 x9 on rug 5 x7 to small to make a statement.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, Travis. I shifted the tall chest to the short window and will put drapes on that window too. What so you think about the rug placement? I've had my bed on the short wall for 15 years so I really want to leave it where it is now just for the sake of change. I'm thinking no matter where I place the rug that I wouldn't go wrong if I went big.
  • 13 years ago
    vickishaub, Thank you so very much for posting the rug into!. You have lovely taste! Good luck with your room!
  • 13 years ago
    *Info*
  • 13 years ago
    @9flowers, that was actually Grover. He's awesome!
  • 13 years ago
    do you think this would work in my room? Too rustic, too park like? What if I refinished it a glossy black?
  • 13 years ago
    Glossy black probably and only if room not cluttered.
  • 13 years ago
    If you want to go softer in the space, I like both of these benches better. And I think you would be happier actually sitting on them too.
    Cameron Tufted Chaise, Talc · More Info

    Stewart Microfiber Upholstered Bench · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Sp I put a bench in front of your window, enlarged the rug, and changed out the oversized boob light.
  • 13 years ago
    What's a boob light groveraxle?? Haha!
  • 13 years ago
    Ooohh, Grover, those are lovely! I'm checking them out right now.
  • 13 years ago
    LOL, I get the boob light now!!!! I'm cracking up!
  • 13 years ago
    i'll never look at my light in the same way again!!! Still laughin!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm feeling the need for just a bit of color. A wee bit.
  • 13 years ago
    How about a more modern wall sconce, or losing it altogether.
  • 13 years ago
    yep, that lamp was in there only to remind me that it needs to be repaired. I'm using it in another room.
  • 13 years ago
    I will never look at that type of lamp again without referring to it as a boob lamp. Lol!!
  • 13 years ago
    Vicki, I Love the colors.... I like Grover's ideas......