0

Miele W1 T1 vs Miele Little Giant

In the last couple of days I've come to realize, after a few posts in the laundry forum, that I think I can live with the smaller washer because I'll have two. I was planning on getting a larger LG, or something similar, but the rave reviews for the Miele's had me take a second look.

I'm trying to figure out which one of their two options will work better for us.

FYI Miele doesn't make a vented dryer

W1 T1

The w1 t1 are slightly bigger

The w1 t1 are just being released in the US in April

The w1 t1 are most likely going to be less expensive.

The t1 is a heat pump dryer (I could get either dryer to go with whatever washer I choose. They don't have to be exactly the same)

Little Giant

I'm reading about a LOT of love for the Little Giant

The LG has limitless options and you can apparently adjust the water level

The dryer is condenser

It's pretty expensive and people worship them, so I feel there might be something better about these than the w1 t1, but I'm not sure! It could simply be that didn't have the option for the w1 or t1

• c G

Little Giant is still 220v like Miele washers from a while ago; T1 is 110 which severely limits the internal heater.

• zenhar24

The Miele Little Giants are capable machines, and can get the loads done faster than than a W1/T1 pair, but they also have more demanding installation requirements. For example, the Little Giant washer can use 4,000 watts of power or more, which may limit simultaneous dryer use unless you have high capacity 208/240 V connections. As for the Little Giant condenser dryer, the installation diagrams that Miele has posted suggest a minimum of about 7 to 8 inches of clearance between the back of the machine and the wall.

• H Seattle

So would you need a special 240 V connection for the washer , or would a standard 240V connection be fine ?

• zenhar24

@H Seattle: I have one 208 V connection in my laundry closet. The circuit breaker is rated at 30 amps. Multiplying the two we get 6,240 Watts, which is enough to run one typical 27-inch wide residential electric dryer. Or, I could run one Little Giant washer (4,000 to 5,200 watts), or one Little Giant condenser dryer (3,680 watts), but not both running full blast at the same time as it would exceed the 6,240 watt limit.

Somebody with a 208 V circuit of this capacity could get an electrician to add a second 208V/240V 30 amp circuit so that both Little Giants could run at the same time without worry, each machine using their own circuit. You will have to speak with someone that knows more about high amperage 208/240 V residential wiring to see how practical would it be to do one high-current 208/240V circuit with two outlets. (i.e. do the local residential electrical codes allow it, and are the wiring options cost effective when compared to doing two separate circuits).

• delray33483

you will need two lines for the washer and dryer - separate . Little Giant and W1/T1 are two different machines in every way.. Little Giant is a true commercial machine. W1/T1 is a very innovative consumer machine

• mandy_elaine

@delray33483 I keep reading that the Little Giants are commercial machines but they seem to have very small capacity. For example, my LG dryer says its capacity is 7.4c but the Little Giant is listed at 3.4c. I was hoping to purchase a washer and dryer set that will launder king-sized bedding (comforters, bed spreads, etc.) so we looked at "commercial for home" and found the Little Giants but they seem rather small. Any advice?

• enduring

@Mandy_elaine, from my understanding of the Little Giant, they will handle the king sized comforters and spreads. You can load a Miele better than a LG or Samsung. The Little Giant is a machine I would love to have. I have 3 Mieles that are the regular size; the Little Giant is larger. In my machines I can wash all queen sized bedding. You could call the Miele center near you and ask this question too.

• Heather

yes, you need dedicated 220 connections for each appliance. Code won’t allow you to plug in 2 208/220v appliances on the same connection. They each need a dedicated circuit. Make sure you have space in your panel for these, otherwise upgrading a panel is a ton of money.

• suburbanmd

It depends what you're thinking of when you say "comforter". To me a comforter is a cover thick enough that a king-size one wouldn't fit in a Little Giant.

• dan1888

Get a duvet for your comforter. You'll be able to wash the duvet.

• chauffeuse

Which one did you finally decide on? We are also deciding between the W1 and the Little Giant, but when I called the local Miele Experience Center, a salesperson said that the W1's capacity (17 lbs.) is bigger than the Little Giant (15 lbs.). This makes it confusing.

• C J

The W1’s capacity varies by type of cycle selected. The Normal/Cotton cycle can take the full 17 lbs, but the WrinkLe Free cycle can only take half that (8.8 lbs), the Delicates cycle can manage a load size of 6.6 lbs and Darks/Denim can be loaded up to 4.4 lbs.. The Little Giants have similar restrictions depending upon cycle chosen, with full capacity available on cotton and some other cycles. But I think it’s safe to say that the more ruggedly constructed Little Giant will stand up to abuse better than the W1. It should ; it’s a lot more expensive.

• chauffeuse

@CJ-Thank you! Will need to figure out if it's worth it to get the Little Giant.

• luna123456

The little giant has “recommended” max loading just like the w1. Some cycles recommend only half load, etc. This allows the clothes to tumble properly for that specifc program.

the little giant is designed for 20,000 hours of service. The w1 is designed for 10,000 Hours of service. This mostly comes down to the little giant having bearings, suspension and other parts that are heavier duty than the w1. Your paying for the better components.

The w1, cycle for cycle, compared to the little giant will have almost the same ratio of clothes that can be loaded. The w1 will hold slightly more laundry. The little giants will probably wash and dry more quickly on cycles where electric heat is needed to get water up to temp. In cooler water temp cycles the washing times will be about the same.

The T1 dryer times will be longer than the little giant condensor. Maybe 50% longer. I own a T1 dryer and no cycle has taken more than 75-80 minutes. Most cycles are less than an hour. It’s not 30 minutes, but it is acceptable. We’re happy with it.

The main question you need to ask yourself if if you will need the 20,000 hours life of the little giant. How many hours you use the machine will determine which one to buy. Keep in mind the w1 cycles will be longer than the little giant washer. Mostly on cycles that need water heating. For those that do, you will get more cycles out of the little giant due them being shorter in length.

For the price you pay for the little giants you can almost have two sets of w1/t1. That will give you about the same number of cycles as a single set of little giants. the upside would be the ability to run multiple loads at the same time.

The w1 will have other capabilities such as twindos detergent dispensing, intensewash (recirculating water), WiFi app, etc. None of these are essential features, but they are nice to have and the little giant won’t have them.

Both machines would be a good choice. You won’t go wrong either way.

So, if you do a load every day (average) and you buy the w1 and use the normal program and then assume a cycle time of 1.5 hours. This will roughly be 550 hours per year. That means the w1 will last around 18 years give or take. Double the cycles and you get 9 years life, etc.

The little giants on the otherhand will have Slightly shorter cycle times. Take the same scenario from about but shorten the cycle time to 1 hour. Now the hours per year is 365. The 20,000 hours now means the machine should last 54 years. We all know that is unrealistic. 20 years is possible and that would translate to about 2.7 cycles per day or about 19 loads per week.

You can can clearly see the little giants are designed for someone who needs to do 2-4 loads or more per day. This would be good for larger families, small businesses (hair salons, vets, etc.).

Me, personally, if I was going to pay the money for a professional level machine I would want something larger than the little giant. That means I would most likely buy two sets of w1/t1. I get similar longevity, but can push much more laundry through in the same amount of time. With a large amount of Laundry to do, I would much prefer to run colors and whites at the same time instead of back to back. That’s just me though.

• linus2003

Just a correction about the little giant :

Those machines are designed for 30,000 hours of use. (taken from a miele website)

You are correct about the domestic machines.

• Building for the CATS

Luna... that is exactly what I did. For almost the same money I bought 2 sets of the w1 and t1 because I’d like to wash two loads at the same time to spend less total time on laundry.

• C J

I have both machines (in different locations). pros for the W1 — no need to hire an electrician to alter outlets and it’s cheaper. Pros for the Little Giant— more durable, faster (since it can heat the water faster and hotter), more flexibility and choices about how it operates (want to specify 4 rinses for your cotton loads and a pre wash and a pre rinse? You can do that). It really depends on how you prefer to do laundry.

Iif you are a big user of liquid laundry detergents and like the Miele version of those detergents, you will appreciate the built in twindos of the W1. the W1 seems to push you in the liquids direction even though you can put your own powder in the main wash compartment. if you want to do a prewash on any of your loads, however, you must use liquid detergent (either twindos or fill the prewash compartment with your own liquid - no powder for prewash permitted).

If if you have the patience, I would read both manuals and compare them (keeping in mind the issues described in the big W1 thread where users have found that the machine does not function exactly as the manual describes).

if price were not a factor (along with cost and inconvenience of hiring an electrician), the Little Giant seems to me the superior machine. its Hard to ignore the price issue, though.

• H Seattle

There is an upcoming updated version of the little giant debuting this year but in Germany first. I hear the drums size will be slightly bigger.

Washers are the few appliances I want to take with me if I move. so it last 20 plus years, then it’s worth it .

As for as the electrinity hookup of the current little giant , can you safely hook it up yourself without an electricIan ?

• C J

I certainly could not. The installation instructions and manual specify what type of connection is needed and may give you more information about whether you can.

• zenhar24

@H Seattle: Hardware stores, and some bookstores, sell books on how to do home electrical wiring. I personally would still hire an electrician as he or she may have additional experience to anticipate what things could possibly go wrong when modifying a circuit for added current, or adding a new one altogether, and may also know about local building practices and materials used over the years.

Seeing how the user satisfaction reviews are leaning at this time, I wonder about the utility of having a mixed set, with the Miele Little Giant washer connected to the 208/240 V outlet that is normally used for a conventional electric vented dryer, and a T1 heat pump dryer connected to the 110-120 V outlet that is normally used for the laundry washer.

• luna123456

There is no real difference between 240v rated outlets other than the amount of current (amps) that they are rated for. You can easily plug a device that draws less current into an outlet rated for More. The downside to this is the breaker may not trip in the case of The appliance malfunctioning and overheating.

I changed rhe outlet for mine when when we got our Miele T9800. It outlet was the three prong oven outlet. I swapped to a four prong. The neutral wire was already threre.

If if you don’t understand electricity then hire someone. Most of these things are pretty simple if you know what your doing.