Software
Houzz Logo Print
chris_kollar

Ideas for Kitchen Nook

8 years ago

Need some really creative person to help me with this one--


I've got an odd little space in my kitchen area that was formerly a washer/dryer area. I'm trying to figure out something fun/creative to do with this space. I'm a 29 y/o bachelor so a bar/wet bar sounds somewhat appealing. There is also a door that leads to the side of the home's wrap-around deck. This door is not necessarily a necessity since there are french doors on the front of the deck. Either way, the door either needs to be replaced with something more modern or eliminated altogether. Same with the ceiling lamp. I've provided a few angles for context.


The following ideas have come to mind--


Bring back the washer and dryer and create a laundry area (kinda boring and right next to the kitchen??)


Create a bar area?


Create a built-in desk/office?


Breakfast nook?


More storage/larger pantry?


????







Comments (15)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Bring back the washer and dryer and create a laundry area (kinda boring and right next to the kitchen??)

    Create a bar area?

    Do you entertain enough to warrant taking up cabinets dedicated for the bar? You can create a coffee center.

    Create a built-in desk/office?

    Do you need that type of set up? Do you work from home a lot and where do you have the computer/desk area now?? Some drawbacks to desk areas near the kitchen is clutter. Consider that as well. You can also add doors to that are to enclose the space and have it look tidy

    Breakfast nook?

    If it is more useful to you and you need a space then that is a way to go for you.

    More storage/larger pantry?

    That is a good area to create a pantry if you like to cook often and the amount of cabinets you have are not enough. You are a bachelor so I would assume you do not cook as often as a family would, but consider future resale value in case a family is interested in the house they will need storage.

    Finally the laundry area is ok as well. You can install doors to cover the machines. Again it all depends on the convenience of having the machine on that level of the house versus going to the basement for example.


  • 8 years ago

    I see a pet door--how about a pet grooming station? Creative and fun.

  • 8 years ago

    looks to be by the back door. Could you use a drop spot? Storage for shoes, hooks above for coats, etc.


    Foyers, Hallways & Mudrooms · More Info

    2012 Parade Home · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    Where did the laundry area go? I’m getting the feeling from your original post that you might not do your own laundry... If there is no washer/dryer in the house currently, then my vote is definitely to bring that back because it will be essential for resale.

    The drop zone would be great for a family, but for a bachelor I love the idea of a wet bar/coffee bar area. Some nice cabinets with glass door uppers to show off your bar glassware/mugs, a small sink, and an under counter wine fridge would be awesome for entertaining.

  • 8 years ago

    The washer and dryer was moved to the garage near the back of the house. Not a bad place for it actually. Plumbing would be pretty straightforward for a wet coffee/bar, I definitely like that idea.


  • 8 years ago

    Sorry, I don't think it's the right spot for a wet bar or coffee bar. It's right at the doorway and you'd be blocking the door when you're at the bar. Also, if entertaining, why would you want to leave guests to make drinks in the corner with your back to them. I don't know if you cook but I vote for a pantry. Otherwise, I'd bring the laundry back. I dislike not having my washer and dryer in a climate controlled area of the house.

  • 8 years ago
    This is a tough one. Young mothers would appreciate having the laundry handy.
    However, loving to entertain, I think the wet bar
    is a great idea.
    Yes, the door presents a bit of a problem.....the dog door..??? Do YOU have a dog? If not,
    consider a full length glass door. Lots of light.
    Hanging a door the opposite way would also
    help with traffic from outside. Good luck.
  • 8 years ago

    The coffee bar inspiration pic is very nice, but I have to vote for indoor laundry.

  • 8 years ago

    It's a cat door, and I do not have a cat. The door definitely needs to be replaced. Also, as stated in the first post I don't use the door much since it goes off to the deck on the side of the house where there is a small shed and then another door right around the corner which connects the front living room to the deck. I've considered eliminating the door altogether. Although a full glass door would provide lots of light.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Go for the built-in coffee station or make it a "butler's pantry" for less-often used serveware and glass ware. Alternatively, I'd consider a built-in desk/computer station to pay bills, charge devices, and store files.

  • 8 years ago

    The bar/coffee idea is awesome!! I would close off the door and go for that!

  • 8 years ago

    OP, whatever you make the space, I would not close off a door that could be used as an egress in a fire emergency for a coffee bar.

  • 8 years ago
    Replace it with a French door.