Software
Houzz Logo Print
elysiansmiles

What to do with dated cabinets?

8 years ago

I love the house we bought a year ago, but have hated the cabinet since our tour. I want to do... something to them. Down the road we will likely do a full kitchen remodel, including moving around appliances and the sink (the dishwasher and sink are in truly awful places). It will be expensive but so worth it. In the meantime, I just want to get rid of the wall of wood color taunting me every day.


Attached is a photo of my solid oak cabinet doors that someone I'm sure thinks are lovely, but that I really dislike. Especially with my hardwood kitchen floors, there is just so much wood. The cabinet boxes are NOT solid hardwood - I think they are melamine. They have a matching veneer in some places where they are exposed but otherwise they are an inoffensive tan color.


I'm toying with the idea of replacing the doors myself with white thermofoil shaker-style doors. I would just measure the old door, order the same size, pop the old off and screw the new on the same hinges. I would also paint the exposed veneer portions white. I looked into painting the current doors but it is so much work to paint it all myself and way cheaper to replace the old doors myself (and less disruptive to my house).


Is this idea insane? Am I crazy to want to replace solid oak with thermofoil? Keep in mind we'll probably tear it all down in 5-10 years for our full remodel.



Comments (33)

  • 8 years ago

    I'm saving as fast as I can! But we're estimating something like $30,000 to do all that we want, and I could replace the doors myself this summer for like $1500 and hate my kitchen a little less in the meantime.

  • 8 years ago
    I totally agree with Sina S's comments. Don't waste a penny in that kitchen. That is about the worst corner layout I have ever seen! I hope you had the house price knocked down $25K just BECAUSE of the kitchen! While you are saving up for the remodel, take your time planning the new layout. Take good measurements of every wall. Draw out the room "to scale" on 1/4" graph paper, showing the location of each window and doorway and the location of plumbing. I also suggest to-scale drawings of each wall (vertically, as you look at them) to help in planning your cabinetry.
    Take your time. Use a certified kitchen planner, if desired.
    When you are ready to do it, hire a good contractor. Be there while the work is being done.
  • 8 years ago
    I completely agree with saving up, but I also understand the desire for a quick change NOW. I was going to suggest just doing the uppers in white, but then I googled images of that. Well. . .
    Have you considered chalk painting the existing cabinets? If you have any time and ability, that is an easy renno for a short term fix. I make my own chalk paint by mixing unsanded grout with regular latex paint. Or you can buy the real stuff (just costs more).

    Or, maybe replace a couple doors with glass? That would reduce the wall-o-wood you say you hate.
  • 8 years ago
    Maybe just changing the paint color or adding a fun backsplash would work for you. You might find the wood less irritating if it had something else to contrast it.
  • 8 years ago

    I have definitely thought of chalk paint, but from what I read, for it to be a durable finish (withstanding spills, etc) you have to seal it at the end, and doing the work of that seems to kill the time saving benefits of using chalk paint in the first place. Do you have a different experience with it?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    balance how much you hate the cabinets doors with how much you hate the layout. since new cabinet doors won't do a thing for that corner, you'd still end up with primal ARRRRGH every morning.

    as you are approaching a redo, now is the time to work out how many upper cabinets you actually need. can unused items on the upper shelves be stored someplace else, for example.

    "if it was me" (and its not) i'd take down the uppers if i hated the doors, repair and paint the wall. see how unhappy i really am losing this quantity of storage, and go forward with planning a gut redo a smarter person.

  • 8 years ago

    For only $1500, I think it's a good quick fix. I'd also paint the walls something pretty - like bright yellow or teal or sky blue. Make it fun while you plan the whole re-do!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Definitely can't lose any storage - I live in a city, so what you're looking at in this photo is virtually my entire kitchen. There is maybe a cabinet or two to the left in the photo and that's it. There is nothing to the right of the fridge, and the dining room is behind you in this picture. No island or anything, this is pretty much it.

  • 8 years ago

    I would say - go for it. If you hate walking into your kitchen and your up for the challenge-why not! You may end up liking your kitchen so much better in white you’ll be happy living with it.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Your layout is terrible. New doors aren't going to fix that.

    I wouldn't do anything beyond painting the doors and frames. Do not throw away your money on cheap replacement doors. Get yourself to a new kitchen ASAP. Are you guys DIYers? Have you priced out IKEA?

    In the meantime, here's an idea:

    https://mrsfancypantz.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/kitchen-of-my-dreams/

  • 8 years ago
    Yes, you need to seal chalk paint, but it isn't hard. Some people hand rub wax on, but for a kitchen I think that's crazy! My son used a water based sealer that he just brushed in. Very easy.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    That's truly a terrible layout! New doors doesn't fix anything, but if you have the spare time and the patience, $1500 is fairly cheap to make the kitchen better for the short run. It will take longer than you expect but everything does!

  • 8 years ago
    Wow, 1,500.00 would be a nice chunk to add to your renovation budget. I lived for almost two years with garage storage cabinets and a Formica counter on 2 x 4’s without a dishwasher while our whole house renovation was being done. Why, because wasting any money is hard when you need a bunch to get a project done. My advice summer is coming enjoy your new neighborhood or house buy an occasional vase of flowers and watch your renovation budget grow. So I am not totally above making a space nice to live with I did paint my grey and red walls white (previous owner fake country) and bought curtain panels to cover the front of my sink cabinet less than $100.00, but your kitchen is not so bad. And if you have children you know how fast a year goes by. If you don’t have children find a comparable like how fast a weeks vacation passes and you will have your new kitchen in no time.
  • 8 years ago

    It's truly not the worst kitchen, is it? Awkward, maybe. But not overly offensive.

    If I had the extra money, I would go on vacation.... :) That would make me WAAAYYY happier in the long AND short term...

  • 8 years ago
    what about just removing some of the doors and showing off nice dishes and pottery pieces? I wouldn't waste $1500 that will grow in time with interest. ☺
  • 8 years ago

    Haha, no it isn't truly awful! It just isn't what I want. I thought maybe it would grow on me, but it really hasn't. I'm sure I could put the money I would spend into my overall reno budget but it is going to be so long before I can do that, and I don't want to hate my kitchen for 10 years, or rush to do something badly because I hate it so much. I've priced out getting them professionally painted but getting new doors is honestly cheaper and less disruptive, so that's the way I'm leaning.


    Angie, sadly, I don't have nice dishes or pottery pieces - I have too many mismatched coffee mugs and a billion plastic tupperware containers which doors need to cover!

  • 8 years ago

    Just buy a sprayer, research how-tos, and paint them yourself.

    My brother just redid his kitchen with ikea Veddinge, ikea laminate counters, and moved some electrical outlets with the help of an electrician friend for under $4,000.

    Dont go throwing away $1500 on cheap doors.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I've definitely thought about gel stain! I thought it would be too dark, though, in my small kitchen and with my kind of dark countertops. Do you think otherwise?

  • 8 years ago

    I would paint them then and I would do it myself. Probably white on top and navy on the bottom. It will give you enough of a change.

    Prep is key...

    I have painted brown laminate cabinets with just a roller and they looked good and lasted well. We couldn't afford new cabinets at all. And paints have improved much since those days.

    Bears repeating prep prep prep....prep until you dream of prepping.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have used gel stain on oak cabinets - General Finishes Java is Incredible and requires absolutely minimal prep, even on varnish! I've used it to darken oak. I think that's a brilliant idea.

  • 8 years ago
    Since there are so many negatives I would think that painting ....while labor intensive...... would be the best option for a big change .....at the lowest possible cost...but I think you should paint a “real” color that you love ...it will completely change the feel and give you a warm feeling ...when that is all that is right about the space....I love periwinkle...sage green...lime green...aqua...for these situations...start with your favorite color and find one that seems right for you...make the room fun ....since it can’t be perfect
  • 8 years ago

    I love ritasj suggestion to paint cabinets a color you love. This is the perfect time to just be bold.

    This is the first kitchen I thought of as an example of using one's favorite, happy color. Edie's old kitchen at Life in Grace blog.


  • 8 years ago

    Painting is a low cost in money, but it is a HUGE cost in time. I work a busy job, so painting it myself isn't an option, unless it is with something very easy, without a lot of prep, that will cover in a minimal number of coats. I've considered chalk paint and gel stain, but for the reasons above (time it takes to seal, is it too dark?) those haven't made it to the top of my list. Unless I'm wrong about gel stain being too dark for my room!

  • 8 years ago
    Start a separate savings account today. Put $1500 in it. That will be the kitchen fund. Now when you walk into that kitchen ( obviously designed by someone who never cooked!) you can say “aha! I’m going to fix you!” Meanwhile reorganize, cull the plastic containers, the coffee mugs, etc. make it as functional as possible. Spend your energy planning your new layout. When you have an extra $50 or $100 or $25, plunk it immediately into the kitchen fund.
  • 8 years ago

    Those cabinets are crying out to go up to the ceiling. You don't even have a soffit to rip out like other people. I wouldn't spend time and effort - and don't forget the aggravation/stress, there's no price to put on that - of trying to alter the current cabinets. As others have said, save up for new cabinets and new layout.

  • 8 years ago
    Wasted money aside think of unnecessary filling of landfills. You will someday soon toss this kitchen AND the cheap cabinet fronts you invested in. Paint is the way to go if you are impatient.
  • 8 years ago
    Please do not chalk paint. That is the wrong application for a kitchen.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes...painting takes time...Plan on a month if you can't do weekends.

    Read this, it may help. http://www.practicallyspoiled.com/2015/07/22/from-hate-to-great-a-tale-of-painting-oak-cabinets/

    Really, you can't do a half-assed job with this. If you think you might or if you simply don't feel like putting forth the effort, then leave your kitchen as-is.

  • 8 years ago
    This is an off the wall option but I have had huge success with spray paint ...it sticks like glue...covers with a smooth flawless finish and dries immediately....the cheapest products(Walmart) work even better than the specialty products.....just remove as many doors as you want to tackle in a day ....wash with a good cleaner...and spray one or two coats...replace after a few hours for drying....over time any worn or scratched areas can be lightly sanded and carefully spritzed in place....I did this with an amazing ..ornate antique cabinet for my island...it has been in place for 17 years....
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If you really want to update your kitchen fast you could do the $1,500 for the cabinets, however that won't get you closer to your full remodel faster.

    Contemporary Kitchen Remodel · More Info

    Artistic Urban Remodel · More Info

    Luxury Open-Concept Kitchen Remodel · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    Go ahead and spend the 1500.00 to get your satisfaction - now. You are saying you won't remodel for 5-10 years. Life is too short to face a kitchen that you are not happy with - every day.

  • 8 years ago

    First, your kitchen is not the worst (mine is. I have oak cabinets, vinyl floors etc). I wonder if you can get used to the oak while you are saving, maybe treat yourself yourself to some decorations that would make you love it more, and do what you can to fast forward the remodel to 5 years, or maybe even sooner. IKEA has some good prices. Your floors look good. If you are really thinking of painting, maybe google and see if you will Iike the results. I don't like the catherdral panel on my upper cabinets and still won't like it if it's white. Plus your time is worth something. You deserve to rest. Or... Rather than spend weekends painting these cabinets, maybe put in some extra time at work and snag a fat bonus lol.