Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernik

New rose garden- help me choose roses

bernik
6 years ago

Hi there. I posted this Q already but there was a system bug...

i am planning rose garden and want some advice. Here is the simple plan of that part of our garden.

i dont know which roses to put where. Can you please advise?

1. Should i put red-yellow-salmon colored roses together on one side, and all pink on the other? Or will it be better to have similar colored roses on both sides of the entrance? If so which ones? Entrance is in between 2 rose patches. This 4 entrance roses are tricky so i really need advise here...

2. Where to put Grafin Diana? it is dark colored so maybe more to the side?

3. I have many light pink roses. Should i plant them all together? or better to have other colors in between?

I have *all names are European

- Grafin Diana from Kordes

- Walfergange from Lens

- Lavagut from Kordes,

- Parole from Kordes

- Souvenir de Baden Baden from Kordes

- Elisa from Kordes

- Limona from Kordes

- Botticelli from Meilland

Comments (4)

• Pam Ruatto
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Bernik, I'm not familiar with the roses you plan to use, so can't say how they would look, depends so much on where you are most often viewing your roses from. But in general, I would plant by expected height and habit first, making sure you've left enough space between each. You could put lower-growing roses with perhaps a more trailing habit at the front of the walk, and taller ones at the back. If that's a fence border in front, you could consider a climber on either side. Color is too personal for advice. I like to have waves of similarly pale roses, waves of similarly orange to reddish to yellow to buff roses, with a few true pinks and deep magentas here and there. I work with a cottage garden style, where you might prefer a different look. Try not to worry about getting it perfect. Every rose grower looks at their garden and mentally moves roses about like furniture, because that Tchaikovsky would obviously be better on the other side of the porch, now that we see it's growth habit in maturity. But roses aren't furniture, and they don't take to being moved around much. Sometimes you end up with a bit of regret. Since you probably aren't putting them into the ground yet—we have to wait till late May/early June here in Asheville, so the ground is fully warmed up—you still have time to keep looking at rose photos online, making sure you know the color and habit of each rose, and mentally moving them around till you land on what feels right to you. Best of luck!

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    6 years ago

Interesting - date of opening post showing as mid March -we are now mid April, with no other comments, and this discussion is at top of "latest" list.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    6 years ago

And, prior to my comment, Houzz indicated "1 comment", when all that appeared was the opening post.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    6 years ago

Beautiful choices! I don't live in your zone so I can't really comment much on it. You need to find out the general growth (height and width) of these plants in your zone which will make your choices much easier. I hope other posters who has similar zone will share their experiences with us.

With regard to colour choices, I am definitely not one of those gardeners who group them together. If I was designing a whole garden all at once, then it is very easy to group colours together but I keep adding new roses every year so all my colours are mixed together. But if you are into colour co-ordination, grouping similar colours will bring harmony and grouping opposite colours will bring contrast.

Keep in mind, that gardening is an adventure and journey for the sight and soul. I see my garden as a living environment who will continously evolve.

Good luck and remember to have fun planning it.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH