Software
Houzz Logo Print
megam915

Help with entryway design

8 years ago
I have two alcoves on each side on my entryway. I have lived in the house almost a year and still cannot figure out what would look best. I want the two sides to be the same, but am lost as to what to put in there. Any ideas are appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What is your home decor in the other rooms? Is the rug staying? Nice entrance to welcome guests.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you. I have thought of some type of ironwork too. The people that lived here before us had two mirrors with wreaths on them, looked nice. The rug is staying. The house is very open concept and somewhat neural in decor with some eclectic pieces. Here is a picture of the entry way facing the house when you walk inside.
  • 8 years ago
    You could commission custom ironwork in a simple pattern to fill all 4 niches. It could fill the spaces entirely but float off the back wall. Or just fill in with drywall and paint the walls in the same color. Not sure you really want to highlight the sides as the front door is the focal point.
    Miscellaneous Metalwork · More Info
  • 8 years ago

    Something simple like a slight color difference in the paint & a single vase and flower.


    Wallpaper in the niche

    Subtle geometric design in the same color paint but a gloss sheen




  • 8 years ago

    If you don't know what to do with them, close them up. Hire a drywall guy and close those puppies up. Then no problem! They are too narrow for vases and the hallway is too narrow also.

    If you don't want to close them, then get 2 similar but different paintings that are large and in your style and put them there.

  • 8 years ago
    you could also find a diptych and hang one in each cove. they wont be identical but will match perfectly.
  • 8 years ago
    This is what the people had before us (same on both sides). Thoughts? I personally would have filled the space more but it seemed to work okay.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I would put custom, antiqued mirrors to fit the space with about 4” around the inside edge. Ethan Allen has a great mirror that could work too. When mirrors face each other you get infinity effect if hung just right. Bad place for art. Can’t view it due to narrow space. Mirrors will open it up. I will see if i have a photo of the Ethan Allen mirror. Can you post inside niche measurements please?
  • 8 years ago
    I think the mirrors would in fact work best. The space is 35” wide by 58.5” tall.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Here is the mirror and it is on sale. It is really pretty in person. I took a photo of it in their store that depicts it better. I have so many photos. It may take me a while to find it. You could design these with a local mirror company too. Bbl
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Opps here is pic. I think they might be too big. I put a similar approach with my mirror company in a powder bath and it turned out great. Be back when i find photos!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    RH has a nice one too and the 36x58 would work in your niches.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Typo. 36x48
  • 8 years ago
    I like the suggestions, thank you! Both of those mirrors seem too big for the dimensions of the space, but I can search around online and see what I find.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I see artwork in your foyer as you could do something to bring the outdoors in or fun pop art as below. Good luck.