Software
Houzz Logo Print
inna_denisovich

need coffee table

13 years ago
I need to purchase coffee table for the family room, but don't know which one to even consider.

Comments (50)

  • 13 years ago
    Any idea of what shape, size or material? Just to get a feel for your style?
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, I actually like how much open space you have and that you can see the design of the rug and that it's incorporated into the room. It's also really nice and open. This is gonna sound like a weird question but do you have kids and what are the coffee tables you have in mind?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Leaving 14-16 inches from the sofa - you can purchase a rectangular coffee table or a large square one if you want. Everyone sitted on the sofa should be able to easily reach the table. As for style, your carpet is lovely so I would consider a wrought iron base with glass. If you opt for the larger table then you will have more of an area to arrange books and other collectibles which I feel you would enjoy based on the well appointed mantle. I would also suggest pulling the dark chair in tighter and also the chaise to create more of a conversation area.
  • 13 years ago
    I sort of like the idea of substantial, dark stained table with all the light colors in room, here's a few inspiration pics
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    One more
  • 13 years ago
    I'm open to any style, i looked at upholstered but feel like they "stuff up" the space. The wood ones seem to be to much of different kinds of woods. (nesting tables by the chaise, fireplace mantle, round table and my sewing machine where the lamp is) I do have 3 kids under 5. This is a family room off the kitchen but mostly used by adults since kids have their playroom upstairs.
  • 13 years ago
    You could, and should, mix woods that work well with each other color wise and style wise. Not everything should be one type of wood in one color of wood stain. Live a little!! :)
  • 13 years ago
    You could choose a coffee table similar to the ones in these inspiration photos
    Family Room · More Info

    Savvy Interiors · More Info

    A pair of ottomans with storage
    Mary Trantow · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    coffee tables are great. I used to have one and now it lives on the porch :) What happens is that despite your best efforts, stuff gets piled up on the table and then before you know it, there are your feet!!!!! how did THEY get there? :) and so what you really need is an ottoman! :) the ottoman becomes a pseudo coffee table you can put your feet on. We could not figure out how to have our cake...so the table left and ottoman stayed..
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What a cute room! Nice job, really nice flow :) I would break up all of the fabric and soft surfaces with something wood or Lucite, I think either of these would coordinate well (Lucite from cb2.com & wood from crate&barrel.com). Also this print caught my eye, the colors would go perfect. Good luck with the finishing touches.
  • 13 years ago
    here are the different woods i have in the room. Also not pictured is a sewing table that i use as a side table for the lamp. That one needs to be refinished, but don't know what finish yet. I like the idea of a dark wood large table but concerned to have yet another unmatched wood in the room. Glass coffee tables are nice but can't find one that would work yet. Upholstered ottomans would be great but don't know in what fabric or leather to get them. What size would look nice with out giving that "floating out in the middle of nowhere" look?
  • 13 years ago
    ID- this is off the coffee table design but as I sit staring at your photo you posted I have a question. Did you paint your beams white? Would you consider painting them a chocolate brown and carry the color over to your fireplace wall. Spray the metal fireplace door oil rubbed bronze. I think the ottoman idea provides a kid friendly approach.
  • 13 years ago
    This one, with your occasional chairs, would be a knock-out.
    Coffee Tables · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    The beams were painted white when we moved in. I'm sure at one time the were wood ;) I don't particularly like dark beams on low ceilings. I did consider painting the fireplace door but not sure about it yet. I don't mind the brass. (Yes when we first moved in, i was going to paint the brick white, build a white mantle and paint the fireplace door black, but glad i did not do it now) Here is the other side of the room
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    No, I am not suggesting to paint the brick, just the wall around it the accent color. I also should say you currently have a beautiful room but was just throwing ideas out. I am a dark beam lover.
  • 13 years ago
    The darker wood tones would mix well with all your wood tones, maybe someone with better skills than mine, and who isn't working with IPhone right now, could photoshop a few of the ones I posted into your photo. Fingers crossed. I think it would really ground your room.
  • 13 years ago
    Margo Corpening ASOHK, i don't mind painting the wall around the brick. I just don't know what color if so. Currently I have pearly white by SW on the wall with bright white trim work.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would paint it the darkest brown in your brick. I like the drama. You could even go a dark gray.
  • 13 years ago
    If you have 3 kids under 5 I would not recommend glass or anything with sharp corners. Something that can hold their weight if they stand on it when you aren't looking is important. Despite the rules and consequences I have trouble getting my 2 and 6 year old to stop sitting or standing on our living room coffee table.
  • 13 years ago
    I think what you'd be looking for then is a rectangular coffee table made from a darker wood so that that open area is maintained, especially since you have young kids. I know back at my mum's house it's really convenient having that open space in a common living area because then the little kids can play and the adults can keep an eye on them. You could even do something wilder and get a large rectangular trunk which would also be kind of useful since it doubles as storage. Here's a rad website, I dunno if you look at it all but they've got some sweet restored furniture that matches the style you're working with. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/collections.jsp?cm_sp=global_top_nav_store-_-dynamic_menu_item-_-NA&categoryId=cat1544013
    You have cool stuff, especially the mantle and fireplace
  • 13 years ago
    anything else that this room might benefit from? I would really like to get this living room DONE at this point
  • 13 years ago
    With all due respect to Margo Corpening ASOHK please don't paint the fireplace wall. An ACCENT wall should be wall covering or a fabric otherwise all 4 walls should be painted. Your room painted as is, is very refreshing and bright. IMHO :)
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think you need to do anything else, your room is lovely just the way it is, just needs a coffee table to finish it off. It's so light, bright and cheerful. Don't change it,enjoy it!!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I saw that you already have a round table in the room ,here is a round table again ,I do think that a square would look nice though :) any price in mind ?

    Troy Round Coffee Table · More Info


    Abbyson Living Morgan Square Coffee Table · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    my basic photoshop plays
  • 13 years ago
    Well, I love the dark in room, and that's space can take any of the shapes shown, even the oval I posted earlier. You're very lucky that the space is so versatile, sometimes people can't fit the table they want. You just need to get to the point of choosing one you want, lol :)
  • 13 years ago
    I like the glass, but would want to see a large dark tray and some other darker accessories on it, too much light color with rug and sofa.
  • 13 years ago
    That's very nice, like the color with everything else. Just make sure it's scotchguarded! Or keep the kids away or in gloves, lol
  • 13 years ago
    Anne dee - I did search Houzz Browse rooms and my suggestion has been used. Not as many pictures of this, but I am one to take a risk and not have the same look as every one else. I like it when I hear people say" Oh, I would have never thought of doing that". Hope when they say it is meant in a good way LOL.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @ Margo
    I appreciate your comment with thanks. Style/design/taste differences makes the world go round!! If we were all the same it would be boring..We all comment here with different visions so that hopefully the poster will find a resolution to her dilemma. We do this in good faith!
  • 13 years ago
    I appreciate all comments and suggestions. It is nice to hear what other people see in a space.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi ID -- mforr gave you a round table with a glass insert way up the thread, and it's in your 2nd of the three photoshop renditions you have. It's my favorite as it's a child friendly round, has an airy yet substantial look, and repeats the curves in your tall mirror and even the empire table without feeling too "matchy." Nice, thoughtful job so far, and you have a great eye through the lens as well -- super close-up shots to convey your sense of style. Do you mind my asking what kind of camera you're using?
  • 13 years ago
    Barnhart Gallery, I use 5d, left from my old days as a photographer :) I like the round table, but once i seen the tufted grey ottoman I really loved the tufted look. It is probably pricy also. While looking that one up online I came across the yellow one for under $300 which is worth the risk with kids at that price. If I would to get theround table with glass insert, should i get a matching one for the side of the couch? two matching ones to replace the sewing machine table?
  • 13 years ago
    one other thought since this happens to me all the time. get steel toed shoes/slippers!! I am always kicking the ottoman and I have kicked many a coffee table :) I like the one judyg suggested.
  • 13 years ago
    No need to go matchy , unless thats what you prefer. There's so many styles out there, you can creatively pair some other tables with it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hello! I know you have reservations about an upholstered ottoman, but with kids in the house it is a great option! Also, it provides additional seating for the family. This is a great opportunity to bring some color or pattern into the space. Check out one of our spaces in the link below and you will see what an impact a great ottoman can have! You can then take some of that color and use it in artwork and accessories.

    http://designinsidechicago.com/post/basement-family-room-in-logan-square/


    If you're still unsure about the ottoman, try getting a more unique coffee table, maybe something with a cool, organic shape or maybe a unique material like metal. See the links below!

    http://designinsidechicago.com/post/bucktown-living-room-loft/

    Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    i vote for a tufted ottoman ... its not stuffy at all, more casual actually... just scotch guard it and call it a day!
  • 13 years ago
    Sounds good, tufted yellow ottoman and round side tables get my vote. The round side tables will be easier to get around. How big is the yellow ottoman? The color really is nice with your room.
  • 13 years ago
    yellow ottoman is 35x35.
  • 13 years ago
    How wide is sofa?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    In my family room I have a big square wood one with 4 drawers on each side. It houses all of the kids coloring books, crayons and toys. It's perfect. With the size of your space, you can get something like too. With kids, you should make it really useful too.
  • 13 years ago
    mforr- the sofa is about 85" . Simply Tangerine kids stuff stays away from the room. I have a basket for few baby toys but rest of the stuff is in the play room for kids.
  • 13 years ago
    I think the yellow ottoman will be a great fit, lovely color for room, cheap enough to not lose your mind over if any accidents happen. If you get it, love to see the after pictures. I'll post a few pics of side tables.
  • 13 years ago
    Here's a whole bunch
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • 13 years ago
    Last one
  • 13 years ago
    I ordered the tables and the ottoman. I will post photos once i will have them in my space.