litbabie

kitchen island versus peninsula

Elle
Hello! We are first time home buyers in the middle of a renovation and I am getting cold feet about our kitchen design. I could use some advice and opinions!

We originally planned on a kitchen island for our open floor plan (we removed a wall so that the kitchen opens into the family room). After a lot of back and forth, we had decided to go with a slide-in stove/cooktop and we will be adding a hood range (attached photo idea and also design idea). But now I am going back and forth again! I guess I’m just worried that it will look too cramped in our small space or that I will hate having the cooktop on the island. Our electrician already ran the electric under the house so I’m not sure we can change things but we were toying with the idea of a peninsula. It seems tho that we would get more cabinet space with the island and wouldn’t have to deal with the awkward placement of the dishwasher being next to the stove.

Also, we have a 63” opening to our sunroom, guest bathroom and patio entrance in the back corner of the room and we didn’t know if it would be weird to have to walk around the island to get back there. We are thinking of closing up the opening to 36” in order to align better with the island altho you’d still be walking around the island to get to the back of the house. Is this a weird setup? Any suggestions?