Software
Houzz Logo Print
daknits

Need suggestion for comfortable reading chair for kids' rooms!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all, we are almost done remodeling our home with respect to the construction phase, and we are now (finally) entering the furnishing/decorating, and I only have one month before we have to move out of our rental and into the house. I need a recommendation for a reading chair for both kids, one that's super comfortable. I'd like one that either is deep enough to put their legs up, or I can get an ottoman or pouf for that purpose. Both kids have full size beds from PotteryBarn -- my daughter has the Austen and my son has the Kendall. Both beds are all white, and their built in furniture is all white.

https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/austen-bed/

https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/kendall-bed-and-trundle/?cm_src=AutoCSLPIP

My daughter's accent color is teal and gray, and my son's is blue (and yellow because of the rug). These are the rugs ....


nuLoom · More Info



nuLOOM Hand Tufted Ombre Hertha Shaggy HJOS04A Navy Area Rug 5'x8' · More Info



My daughter is 13 (and the same height as me, 5'3") and my son is 7, but I want to get my son the same size chair as my daughter because I don't want to have to buy something else down the road AND I want a chair I can be comfortable to sit in for long periods of time in his room. Any suggestions for a very comfortable reading/hang out chair? Thanks so much!

Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    Both kids have a cheap reading chair now that they use nightly. I would like to get a nice one now that the house is redone. It will get well used by my kids. I'd like it to look nice, but more importantly, be comfortable. Any suggestions would be welcomed.


  • 8 years ago

    I would let them choose. Particularly your daughter who at 13 is well old enough to know what she likes and feels comfy in.

    Don't overlook second hand. You can get a really well built, comfortable piece of furniture that will last for a fraction of the price of new, and there are lots of fun ways to update them.

    R S thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 8 years ago

    No idea about your price range, but Pottery Barn's rockers/gliders are really nice. Chairs like this one from C&B are my favorite to read in because you can really curl up and get comfortable in them. Other companies sell them as well, probably much cheaper. They take up a bit more room though. Whatever you decide on, I would definitely try to sit in one before buying to make sure you (and your kids) think it's comfortable.

    R S thanked Emily Jowers
  • 8 years ago

    IKEA Poang. They are comfy, inexpensive, and look good. If you don't like the covers they come in, you can order custom covers online.

    Perhaps the style with the rocker base:

    R S thanked nosoccermom
  • 8 years ago

    What about a bean bag lounger or gaming chair?



    R S thanked couchgolfer
  • 8 years ago
    I love the idea of the bean bag chairs or gaming type chairs, thank you! Any one have a good experience with a particular brand? I bought a Fuf years ago and it was extremely heavy and not that comfortable.
  • 8 years ago

    Bean bag chairs are good for kids -- mine always seemed to prefer sitting on the floor anyway. One of my children -- a big reader -- LOVED her papasan chair. The cat loved it too. Pier One carries them with a selection of covers and patterns.

    R S thanked einportlandor
  • 8 years ago


    42-Inch Rattan Papasan Chair with Solid Twill Cushion, Sun Set · More Info

    Lorena Faux Fur Powder Coated Metal Leg Accent Chair, White · More Info

    R S thanked auntthelma
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Check out these chairs by Bernhardt's contract line (i.e. commercial design, but homeowners can buy them too). The fabric is a felted wool with top-stitching and can be ordered in a zillion colors. Plus the handle in the back allows kids to easily drag it around the room wherever they'd like it to go. The handle is shown here in a contrast color, but I've seen them in my trade showroom with the same fabric as the rest of the chair. What's nice about contract furniture/fabric is the durability; will wear like iron. Find out who sells Bernhardt furniture in your local area and go through them.

    R S thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Does anyone have this chair? I am thinking one in blue for my son and one in charcoal or gray for my daughter. It's the Clementina, on sale at All Modern.

    https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/pdp/clementina-armchair-itho1005.html

  • 8 years ago
    The pottery barn comfort grand is so nice! Large enough for two to snuggle up and read together. Very high quality, after 2 years of nightly use (nursing/reading) still looks like new. Slipcovers also are removable.
    R S thanked Bri Bosh