Software
Houzz Logo Print
rickie95

One Window or Two?

8 years ago
For our kitchen renovation we are making the window over the sink larger.

Between the left side cabinets and the right cabinets we have about 70”. I can decide between 1 large picture window (fixed) or two windows that open.

Any advice? Pros and cons to either?

Here is what I’m thinking:

Comments (41)

  • 8 years ago

    Opening


  • 8 years ago

    Definitely 2 but think about the effort to open and close and wash. Something other than double hung may be appropriate.

  • 8 years ago

    I have one like your first example and it opens (double hung).

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would either do one large window like your first picture or a large middle window that doesn’t open with two smaller windows on each side that do. Like the first two pictures below. I think the large unbroken site line of the large window is nicer than two same size windows side by side with the frame breaking up the view. You could do one large awning window (opens from the bottom - last photo below) but there are limits to how large they go. We had to decrease our window size slightly to do an awning window, though that could be just with the window line we went with too. Maybe other lines have larger awning options.

    Many people also go to the counter and/or bump out the window, which I think looks awesome. I wanted to bump ours out but the cost was too much for us, given what we were spending in other areas There are threads with pictures of counter height bumped out windows here if you search for them.

  • 8 years ago

    What is the style of your house? That will also be a determining factor

  • 8 years ago

    I have 2 casement windows above my sink. Most of the time we only open one. I don't mind the trim in between the 2.

  • 8 years ago

    Two that open -- no question.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Reaching over a sink to open windows is never easy unless one is quite tall. I'd vote for one nice big window.

  • 8 years ago

    We did 2 windows, but only one opens (casement.) it is easy to open, but the only time we do it is when the vent is on high. There are many solutions that will work functionally, but probably fewer that will make sense with the rest of the house.

  • 8 years ago
    Vpierce, do you have a picture?
  • 8 years ago
    Strob06 - that’s EXACTLY what I wanted. Unfortunately to have 3 like that the space only allows very small windows and the frames I between almost outweighs the actual window glass. I went to see one that would fit In our space and it just seems like you loose a ton of light and the windows get crammed.

    This is the one that would fit in our space :-(
  • 8 years ago
    Cpartist - it’s a standard colonial - no character and no charm. I’m trying to give it some with the updates that we do. This is our current window which I hate!
  • 8 years ago

    What is your exposure? The samples you show obviously have a very sunny exposure. Does the blue tape show how wide your windows would be?

  • 8 years ago
    Deeebert - yes, the blue tape is the space we have, and we’ll bring the window down to the counter. We get a good about of daily sunshine, more so from 3:00 to sunset
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    DD replaced her double-hung window over her sink (between two cabinets, with a window that looks almost exactly like the one in the first picture. It transformed her kitchen and she never opened the old window anyway. If she needs to air out the kitchen, she opens the kitchen door.

  • 8 years ago
    yay
  • 8 years ago

    I like strob's first picture. It is the best of both worlds.

  • 8 years ago
    CPartist, me too! That was my intention. But I just went to see a version of it that would fit our space and it would have to be MUCH smaller then those amazing pictures.
  • 8 years ago

    I'd vote for 1 or 2, depending on how much ventilation you need. Also, don't forget about your outlets.

    "The NEC requires that any kitchen countertop that's at least 12 inches wide and 24 inches deep must be equipped with electrical outlets. This applies even if there isn't a nearby sink, such as on a bar or island. Additionally, no point on the wall should be farther than 24 inches from an outlet in either direction (meaning 4 feet total between outlets), so you must have an outlet within 2 feet of the kitchen sink. To protect against electrical shock while working in the kitchen, the NEC also requires countertop outlets to be protected with ground-fault circuit interrupters, or GFCIs. No outlets are allowed in the countertop itself."

  • 8 years ago

    If that's the only kitchen window, I'd figure out some way to get one that opens. Can you play with the adjacent cabinets to enlarge the window opening and get the window you love (strob's first photo.)?

  • 8 years ago
    MercuryGirl,I will have to look into that. Our 70” window space will come down to the counter so I’m wondering how that’s possible with an outlet?

    The window I saw yesterday was the same size to counter, no outlet that I know of?!

    I will check with our contractor, Thank you!
  • 8 years ago
    Barncatz, I wish we could make it bigger. I honestly wouldn’t mind giving up the cabinet on the left but there’s some type of pipe there that would be a lot extra $$$ to relocate.

    We are shifting the window a little to the right because of it and the cabinet next to the fridge is as small as I’d like to hold glasses next to the fridge (15” single cabinet).
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We went with an awning window because I didn’t have the space for one like my first picture and wanted a large open window without the trim cutting it in half. My contractor actually suggested it. I wish I had seen a picture like your first one because I probably would have done that (with the trim at the top). I think that looks really nice. I would see if you can get that in an awning window so it will open. If not, do you have another window or sliding door with a screen close? If so I wouldn’t be as worried about being able to open that window.

  • 8 years ago
    Strob06 - I like the idea of an awning opening, I had never thought of that. Does it crank out?

    I’m a little worried about outside traffic, the deck is out back and people walking into it? I’ll look into that for sure! I do love the top transom windows too!

    There are windows off the recently redone sunroom that we could open for ventilation should we burn something, want a cross breeze or cook fish or something, haha. I also like having a window I could open in the summer if I want to yell to the kids or people on the deck...UGH, so torn!!

    Photos: sunroom windows in relation to kitchen window
    Deck outside kitchen window.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I have a bay kitchen window with a stationary center window and casement windows on each side. They are a nightmare to open or close and now are closed for good, as far as I'm concerned. I have a very nice Pella storm door on my kitchen door. The top glass goes up and down and screen appears instead. If for some reason I need fresh air in my kitchen, this works just fine. It's hard to open a window over a sink and most are rarely open unless one has no AC, and very few people fall in that category. I would not make my decision about a kitchen window based on openability.

  • 8 years ago

    I was wondering about an awning too but wasn't sure if the crank in that configuration would be any easier to reach.

    I'll play devil's advocate to Anglophilia. When we designed our current house, we prioritized cross ventilation and ventilation, period. (1) I love few things more than a breeze and (2) although we have AC, we really try to rely on the windows.

  • 8 years ago

    Two windows instead of one. I have no solid reasoning for this opinion; I just find the proportions more pleasing.

    I also like the idea of one big non-functional window flanked by two smaller windows. Again, no solid reasoning why.

    I also like the idea of a bay window. it has the benefit of allowing you a bit of extra space "behind" the sink. I hate cleaning around the kitchen faucet.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, the awning window will have a crank. While a crank isn’t as easy as a slide, we have had crank windows for years and as long as they are in decent shape none of us (even the kids) have an issue opening them. Ours will also open to the back porch but I don’t think it will be an issue, of course it is off to the side so not right in the traffic. I would think most of the time it will only be open a bit so it wouldn’t stick way out. The other nice thing about an awning window is you can open it in a light rain because the rain hits the window and rolls off. That said, I would be ok with a stationary window too as long as I had another air source close by. One downside, you probably won’t get a cross breeze with an awning window given the way it opens. (Could be wrong, ours isn’t in yet).

    We lost 6” on the window going with an awning over a picture window. Had it been any more than that I would have gone picture. We were never considering 2 windows though, our choice was one sliding window, awning or picture. Our space is just at 5’ so not really big enough to have 2 windows.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have a 60” awning window counter height bumped out about 9” with a fixed transom above. Very easy to open with the crank. I had the same dilemma 4 years ago and decided we didn’t want the frame breaking up the view... Love it.... and we do open it in the rain :).

  • 8 years ago

    Cross breezes are a wonderful thing, especially when that smoke detector goes off. The modern ones are LOUD.

    I love the idea of opening windows in spring and fall, when exterior temperatures permit me to enjoy.


  • 8 years ago
    I think I may have found my answer. Thank you all sooo much for your input, questions, tips, and opinions!

    I think the appeal of opening the window is outweighing the beauty of the picture window at this point. We do have AC but we are definitely a windows open household, aside from a few steamy days in the summer that are far too humid (Massachusetts residents here!).

    The claustrophobe in me is feeling the picture window would be too restricting. Also, as much as I hate the current crank windows, I do currently open them all the time Spring-Fall.

    I think I’m going to go with 2 Cottage Sash style windows with only grids on top, 6 over 1.

    Pics below are the ideas of what I think I’m going look for.
  • 8 years ago

    Those will be pretty!

  • 8 years ago

    I like the looks of your last pictures... but I would still make it a crank out window. I can't get my kitchen window open in this house, and want to replace it with a crank out as soon as I can allocate money for THAT... as there are quite a few things ahead of this.

  • 8 years ago

    I have a pic window and have never missed ability to open. In case of emergency, I’d have to climb counter to get out. Much easier to run out a door. I’d love a bigger single window which will be more $ than a double. The option of a large center window with two smaller ones on sides seems perfect.

  • 8 years ago

    Opening a double hung over the sink is problematic. My cabin has a double hung over the sink. We had a smoke situation recently and I had to go find a chair to stand on to get the window open! My current house has casement windows over the sink. I open those regularly. You can do the cottage style mullions on a casement.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I live in an area that has some sort of pollen or allergen in the air except in the dead of winter. I LOVE having windows open if the weather is nice, but for me, that's just not an option. I've become one of those people who either have the furnace or the AC going at all times. Don't like it, but I DO like breathing!!! Our area also has very high humidity and very few breezes. It's not a good combination.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I put the cottage dash 6 over 1 in the Colonial I’m rehabbing. I chose them to have more clear glass for view. I really like the look! I replaced every window in the house and put these on all street facing windows and plain windows for the rest

    I have a double hung in my kitchen and have no problem opening nor cleaning. I guess it depends on window style. The double hung should work for you so long as you can reach the lock mechanisms which are higher with that style.

  • 8 years ago

    You can get casement that look like double hung. Much easier to open over a sink. My 6 ft boys have to open my double hung for me now in our rental, lol.

    our kitchen plan originally had 3 windows over the sink and I changed it to 2 wider ones for more glass and less frame. Rough opening was the same size for either option.

    Overall, three looks better than 2 imo but I still think it was the right decision for me. No regrets.

  • 6 years ago

    Don’t mind the clutter...so happy with the Choice!

  • 5 years ago

    is each window 30”?