Software
Houzz Logo Print
patt55s

Accessorizing my dining room HELP!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I need ideas on what to put on my buffet and dining room table!!! Think I need something but what??? Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it!!


Comments (9)

  • 8 years ago
    I think you have the basis of a wonderful space. I do feel the scale of the buffet, hutch in the corner beside the window, the lighting on the buffet coupled with the large scale patterned rug perhaps give an illusion of needing weight on the table and buffet to compete with the overall weight of the room. To me and maybe it is just the angle of the photo the finer details of the chairs, the smaller plant, the small scale mirror get lost in the weight of the items I first mentioned. So given this I personally think just lifting the blind in the window, perhaps longer curtains and upping the rod?will raise the sight lines and help that area from being so weighed down and help with the scale of the larger furniture pieces and rug pattern. Adding a centrepiece that is light and airy but with height will help raise the eye at the table through to the window. At the buffet perhaps raising the mirror? Hard to tell height and if this would be appropriate. Maybe a collection of mirrors behind the hutch so you can still have the smaller one you already have will will add the height you perhaps need in that area to compete. Then you may find just a collection of photos, a vase of foliage will help balance the weight and heaviness of the beautiful furniture you have. I believe in working with what you have because obviously it is special and creating illusions to make it work. Have fun, be creative and look at other spaces of similar size or furniture of similar scale to see how others have played with illusion to create something you are attracted to and still functions. Mirrors and glass reflect, height draws the eye up and away from heavier items, color can also draw the eye to details you don’t want to lose. Good luck!
    patt55s thanked Carrie C
  • 8 years ago

    Tried to get a couple of more shots that are brighter! Loving the ideas that are coming my way. Thank you!

  • 8 years ago

    window treatment hung higher, larger mirror over buffet, buffet lights w/shades, shades on chandelier, simple table runner with low wide centerpiece.

    patt55s thanked kay kin
  • 8 years ago

    I think your chandelier is too high but might be the picture shot? 30 inches from table top to lowest point of chandelier then one inch higher for every three feet of ceiling height.

    Think RM advice would really add more balance to the room too.

    I love your Victorian feel furniture...found this image that might look interesting on your table... I think they are called gazing balls but that is only a think....


    These are some ideas and they all involve over-sized items...think big!

    Gazing balls?

    Traditional Dining Room · More Info

    French dough bowl aka Ballard Design

    Bayshores Drive · More Info

    Big pot big decorative balls

    Condy Home · More Info

    Bamboo bird house!

    Eclectic Dining Room · More Info

    patt55s thanked Susan Davis
  • 8 years ago

    The incongruity of the overstuffed "man cave" loungers in the foreground and in such proximity to your more formal antique dining room is what threw me! I think the two spaces can be made more harmonious. Please take a photo of the space while standing at the dining room window so we can see how to make these two "rooms" flow better.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Below we've included some of our designs that might help you with your dining room dilemma. Note the chandeliers, artwork, bold colors, and number of chairs at the tables.

    High-End Traditional Home: Dining Room · More Info

    High-End Traditional Home: Dining Room · More Info

    Transitional Home Design: Dining Room · More Info

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Here's how I would fine tune your room. The chandelier needs to be lower and if possible larger.

    The drapery panels should be hung hight.

    The oval mirror needs to be larger for over the sideboard.

    Place some accessories on top of the china cabinet. I might consider angling that cabinet in the corner.


  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Here is some idea for you

    Tietjen Dining Room · More Info