Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_50476457

Hoya identification

8 years ago

A friend of mine has this growing in her office, says the flowers are fragrant and is a regular bloomer. Leaves are about the size of my palm. Looks like a merrillii to me, but I’m a little rusty on my Hoya ID’s. Thanks in advance!





Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago

    Hard to tell which it is. Do you have a pic of the flowers?

  • 8 years ago

    Here is a pic of merrilii leaves but then with different growing conditions, leaves differ.

  • 8 years ago
    Oh so pretty. Yeah these leaves are almost macrophylla shaped but I’m having a hard time imagining anyone is rural western Alaska managed to smuggle a not-so-cold-friendly Hoya such as that out here. Anyway, the mystery plant is budding up (also fairly amazing considering) so as soon as it flowers, I’ll post a pic.
  • 8 years ago

    Welp, she bloomed. It was really hard to get a good pic because the backlight was so bright, but the blooms are big and beautiful. Fragrance is quite strong; sort of powdery (my friend called it like "old lady perfume") and we both found it slightly nauseating after a while. You can smell the fragrance 3 floors down and her co-workers all hate her at the moment because of it. Little do they know what a treasure it is to see a Hoya bloom in the sub-arctic. :)

  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful!! I shared your pics on fb to see if someone can give you an idea as to which Hoya this is. Hope you don't mind.

    User thanked Lydia Kennedy
  • 8 years ago

    Not at all, it is appreciated.

  • 8 years ago

    Someone replied with Hoya acuta

  • 8 years ago

    Check out myhoyas.com for Hoyas with correct IDs. This is a pic of Hoya acuta posted by Carol on fb. Compare coronas and leaf. She said not to go by color.

    User thanked Lydia Kennedy
  • 8 years ago

    You give me hope! If you can get a hoya to bloom in Alaska, then Michigan should be easy! The flowers are gorgeous!

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks so much, Lydia!

    Carolynnv, I was legitimately shocked when I walked into my friend’s office and saw it with like 10 active penducles. So you can totally make it happen too!

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, Andrew! And welcome to the forum. :)

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks:-) Should have written merillii has _more_ sunken veins; can be more or less in level with the leaf surface actually, but not raised anyway.. If Chiang Mai, it's supposed to be pretty tough, so flowering profusely in Alaska wouldn't be at all impossible:-)

    User thanked jeffrey_mll
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    could it be hoya nicholsoniae? i havnt seen one in person but looked it up because its a parent of genieve

  • 8 years ago

    I have a young Chiang Mai to compare with.

  • 8 years ago
    That bloom is beautiful, Fireweedjelly!
  • 8 years ago

    I just compared it to the young Chang Mai I have (thank you, Lydia) and the leaves do look quite similar. You guys are awesome. :)

  • 8 years ago

    I think it's probably either aldrichii or rigida, both in the Pottsii complex, I believe.

    Denise in Omaha

    User thanked Denise
Sponsored
More Discussions