Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kc_01reitz

Spotted fig leaves

Esmeralda Reitz
5 years ago

I’ve had this Chicago fig for 2 weeks in zone 6B and the leaves aren’t looking so good any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Esmeralda

Comments (3)

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Esmeralda,

The new leaves it grows should be fine. Those leaves are normal for older leaves. Age, rough handling, weather change, etc., makes leaves look that way. Actually, they look quite good, nice and green, just battle scarred.

That fabric pot is a good choice...makes a nice, healthy root system = healthy, lush top growth. Be patient, and see if I'm right.

Chicago Hardy, although very common, is one of the best. I understand it is actually a Sicilian fig from the Mount Etna region, referred to as one of the Mt. Etna fig varieties. A specimen of it ended up in Chicago, proved its hardiness, fruit quality, and vigor, and became very popular in colder parts of the USA, hence its 'Americanized,' name.

I gave my only CH to my niece at her request for help in getting a fig tree for her family. She's an avid, conscientious gardener, so instead of getting her a baby fig tree, which would take 4-5 years to give reasonably nice crops, I gave her my CH almost at it's prime. It should give 200+ figs this year. If I see even a hint of neglect happening, I will take it back. No fig of mine will suffer neglect! They are like my children!

In the meantime, I can get another CH for myself. They are pretty easily gotten.

I believe you will be a very conscientious, "Agriculteur de figue", Esmeralda.

Moses

• dieseler
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Esmeralda, your fig leaves appear to have been slightly scalded by the sun they may or may not get more white-ish not a big a deal if they drop off eventually.

Usually when acquiring a plant its best to let it assimilate to the sun putting it in shade especially during the suns height of the day then little by little in morning and evening sun eventually into all day sun.

As a note Hardy Chicago is know to some in New York as Bensonhurst Purple and here of course Hardy Chicago.

In Italy it is known to some as Mongibello. Regardless a Hardy Chicago i can attest is an excellent fig to eat right off plant.

Years ago here near Chicago i dried some on screen and covered with cheese cloth and they were magnificent.

Here shown Hardy Chicago with what i call the classic hangmans neck meaning it is ready to pick for this variety some like it a little firmer and pick slightly earlier but for this palate it is dead ripe.

Dated picture from 10 years ago taken in our yard.

Martin

• Esmeralda Reitz
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beautiful
Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company