Software
Houzz Logo Print
ctrinkle94

Best Option for Temporary Storage

8 years ago

We are building a home in the mountains that won't be complete until early August, but we have sold our current home and have to be out by mid June. Was wondering what solutions people have used to move out and store furniture that were cost effective? Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago

    We just ended up just renting a slightly larger home than we otherwise needed and filled the second living area and one bedroom with boxes, furniture etc. We were only going to be there four months and while the home was nice, the rent wasn't bad at all and our stuff was much safer (and we could get to anything we really decided we needed, although most boxes stayed packed for the duration. Of course we got lucky finding a place to rent for a short period because it was owned by a bank that our family has a long relationship with. (It wasn't a foreclosure, the bank bought it to facilitate move of one of its execs to a new bank it purchased in another state and was having trouble selling it -- it had been on the market almost two years). Ironically it finally sold within a couple of months after we moved out.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We had a professional moving company do our move, which was to a different state. We knew there would be a gap before our new house was ready, so we simply paid the company to store the container our stuff was in until the new house was ready. The move was expensive, but the storage was fairly cheap.

  • 8 years ago

    Public storage. Same as we use for households removed under power of sale (foreclosure).

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Estate sale.

  • 8 years ago

    We too had a professional moving company do our move from coast to coast three years ago, soon as we sold our home; a very expensive move. Since I did not want anything in storage, we are renting two brand new adjacent homes, 5 minutes from where we are building. Not an ideal scenario from financial perspective renting two homes but we are very comfortable while still building. We expect our new home to be completed in around three months.

  • 8 years ago

    We rented an empty apartment so was able to have all our stuff with us

  • 8 years ago
    My sister rented a large metal sea container and put it on her son’s property next to the new build.
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for all of the suggestions. We are only going to be homeless for about a month so renting a home/apartment doesn't really work for us. Has anyone had any experience with Upack? They seem to do short term storage of their trailers.

  • 8 years ago
    I had to have a professional moving company since I’m older so I had them store household good for 3 months after I sold my house. I loaded up my car with clothes, etc that I would need and moved to an Airbnb townhouse (with yard for dog) for that 3 months. Got a good deal since I was renting for so long - and I suspect an old lady was considered a good tenant risk. The cost of Airbnb was same as I had been paying for mortgage so that was a wash. Storage was surprisingly inexpensive.
  • 8 years ago

    We did Pods. They store them in a climate controlled facility. The cost was reasonable but the insurance was quite expensive.

  • 8 years ago

    We used ABF Upack. It’s the second time we used them... very reliable. We had to have our trailer delivered to a nearby town as they do not deliver to our mountain town. We then rented storage and finally moved it all to a couple of Conex boxes on our property.

    The Upack storage was quite expensive so we found a cheaper storage, but it did require moving it a couple of times.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I have friends who have used Pods very successfully. Just be sure you won't need anything out of the Pod - not easy to access. My friends thought their house was sold - had loaded up the Pod to remove extra "stuff" in the house. Unfortunately, it also contained a family of 4's winter clothes and when the house sale fell through and it took quite a while to sell it again, they had to buy all new wardrobes!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    This morning I drove past a large box in someone's driveway and it had "PODS.COM" painted on the side, and I thought of this discussion. I am not exactly sure what they do but I am assuming it has to do with storage. If anyone from Pods.com is reading this and appreciates the promotion . . . send a check.

  • 8 years ago

    A 8x20 storage cube is around 2700$ for a new 1. Most places will deliver. Sell it when your done and Probably only cost around 500$ if it's new they are water tight and bug proof, at least they claim to be. We are putting one at the cabin for a small garage.