Software
Houzz Logo Print
aisha_tai

Help me Update my bedroom. Pleeeeeeese!

13 years ago
I am looking to re-do my bedroom, update to a more contemporary look. While this color palette may appeal to many, i do not like the rust and maroons. I am a blues and greens girl, or maybe i just like cooler tones. The bedspread used to be in a maroon, red, rust tone too but i switched it out in an attempt to lighten the room. Also removed the rust rugs from the carpet.
so here is my dilemma... unfortunately I cannot replace the furniture but I feel the room is big enough to take it, and it is good quality furniture too and I probably can't/shouldn't change the carpet either as the same carpet continues out onto the landing and other rooms on the floor. I want to change the color of the walls but i would have to go with the beige carpet and the dark wood furniture. I also feel like I could move the bed to the wall opposite the fireplace where the dresser is right now and put the dresser where the bed is. this would open up some space in front of the fire place for two chairs and a small round table at the foot of the bed? or just keep the bench? what should I do with the chairs? the have a maroon back and seat. Please give me ideas on how to update this.

Comments (103)

  • 13 years ago
    Oooo... okay.... so... hmm... right...

    - I love the shape and colour of the silver based lamps, but I'm not sure if they go well with the peacock curtains? (lamp looks better closer to the bed don't you think?) It's weird, because I do really like the combo of different blues in the pillows on your bed, but I just can't see if the teal shade works with the peacock blue curtains. You have a good eye and feeling for colours, so you know if they go together.

    - I like the peacock curtains and they seem to go great with the current colour of your walls

    - and I like the green based lamp with the peacock curtains

    - I'm not so sure if lime green curtains work with the colour of your walls, but they will look good with the silver based lamp

    As for the quilt cover, I'd keep it and cover the bench with a blue fabric.
    Love the fabric draped over the chair and love that blue pillow.

    Nice rug!

    What a transformation already don't you think? Changing the curtains, pillows and lamps and the room looks so much lighter and fresher and more up-to-date already. Love it! Are you happy with how it's going?
  • 13 years ago
    I'm voting for the green swirl lamp by the bed and the silver one in the nook on the writing desk when it shows up. I thought the new coverlet would make a great area rug for your space! The peacock drapes are a little too formal and dramatic for the lighter twist you're trying to put on the room.
    Aisha Tai thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 13 years ago
    You have great furniture! Ditch the curtains for a sheer white one (which you already have done). I love the bedding since it looks like it has some sheer to it and gives a sophisticated look.

    I love all the teal accessories that are posted. If you like teal, I would upholster the bench to a rich teal color as someone posted above.

    I envision the "Apartment D" photo and the room that "Talianko Design Grp" posted. I like white for the walls in this room, usually I do not like white, but I am not feeling the color you have on the walls now.

    I like the wicker vase with the bamboo looking sticks. I would keep that. Also, I like the bed directly facing the fireplace as it is now much better.

    One thing that I think will make a big difference is to switch the armoir and the dresser. The armoir is big and is hiding the left side of the room. It should fit on the other side of the room better. The dresser is lower and will not obstruct from looking into the room from the doorway. Please consider this as I think it will look much better and create that balance that you were stating on your post. I would upholster the 2 chairs in silver or white. A teal pillow to make your teal bench and you are done.
  • 13 years ago
    I am a minimalist, if you start adding too many colors, you are going to end up with a teeny bopper room. White, bold teal, and silver work great. The vase with the feathers/bamboo looking sticks have a moroccan flair. You can use this lantern by your fireplace. You can find it on amazon.com for less than $10
    Aisha Tai thanked R Robulock
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Haha Decoenthusiast! Are you suggesting I put the quilt on the floor? When i went out looking for rugs i was trying to find something in white and a little bit of color... but couldn't find anything like I had in mind. ALso i dont want to get a dark or colorful rug, i feel like it would darken up the room quite a bit.
    Also i love the idea of keeping both lamps! LOL! I like both! Though the lamp on the desk would probably annoy me because of the small space and because I need to use it as a functional desk as i am a student.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Really like what you've done with the room so far Aisha! Let us know if we can upholster an ottoman or accent chair for you!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Also i want to say a BIG thank you to everyone who has been contributing here. You all have been a big help! I feel so much better now about my room.

    Thank you Carolins! I love the way my room is going. Actually the color of the peacock curtains almost exactly match the teal of the lamp shade (teal/peacock whatever you wanna call it). I should probably take pictures in the day light instead of the yellow lights of my room)

    - in my mind its a toss between "the green lamp with teal curtains" or "teal lamp with green curtains". Also i did consider at one point getting ivory or some neutral curtains with just pops of color in the accessories.

    - getting brighter/whiter bulbs for my ceiling lights is on my to-do list (would lighten up the tan of the walls specially at night)

    - about switching the dresser and the armoir ... the first things you see when you enter the room are the chairs and the dresser. if i switch the armoir i feel will become an eye sore as that is only thing you would be able to see as soon as you enter (there is a 4 foot alley at the room entrance and the left side is not immediately visible)

    - still cant find any art for the top of my bed.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    what about this? its 24x47inches. With a teal backing?
  • 13 years ago
    I like this, very nice! it will look great with the teal backing!

    Have you actually switched the dresser and armoir to see how if feels?
  • 13 years ago
    No I haven't actually moved it. This is a pic from the entrance on my room
  • 13 years ago
    What do you think? Too matchy-matchy?
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, this is a nice chair! It is a velvetly luxury chair.
  • 13 years ago
    Not sure if you like peacocks or even considered it, but I noticed you have what looks like peacocks feathers in the vase by the door. You might like this.

    The fancy peacock pillow Amazon.com $25.99
    The sequin teal pillow also Amazon.com $14.99
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I dont have any peacock feathers in the room except for the curtains... that also im a little if-y about. One looks fine but once I put up all 4 of them I feel like its gonna start looking like too much color. I like the sequin teal pillow but i couldn't find it on amazon. can you give me a link? Never thought of checking on Amazon
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful transformation. I like the blue chair.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, I wish the blue chair would tuck in to the niche writing desk area. If not that, then a pair of these in front of the FP.
    Sweep Upholstered Armchair · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Just incase anyone sees this immediately. I'm at the store. Which one do you like?
  • 13 years ago
    I could put one of the blue chairs at the desk but then there would be big empty place in front of the fireplace and three chairs would be too much.
  • 13 years ago
    What were those things you posted while at the store? I like #3 since it has a touch of the gold you are using.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you are looking for cheap lanterns and lamps the you can see them here. The range of cost is less than $10. I had purchased some lamps from there. http://www.justartifacts.net/paperlanterns.html
  • 13 years ago
    They were wall hangings for above the bed. I'm not sure if mirror goes with my room theme. They are around 24"x48".
  • 13 years ago
    Agree on the peacock curtains. As much as I like the opulent look of the one, all windows will be too much of a good thing.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Now my room just looks like a retail store!!! Lol.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your room would look gorgeous with a woven weave shade. Those are very popular right now, and would add an extra something to the space.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh Aisha, haha.... it does look a bit like a store. With beautiful items. Difficult choices to make.
    I think the one with the silver and gold looks very pretty above your bed. The other one is a bit too busy with the patterned pillows and the quilt.
    And I still like the silver based/teal shade lamps beside the bed, certainly with the silver art above the bed.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the blue draperies. Wish we could see them closer. I definitely would choose them over the others you have hanging.
  • 13 years ago
    If looking for pillows ck pier one. World market,. Why don't you remove mirror from dresser, very dated idea to have matching mirrors. Add a very large 40x40 art piece with your colors. Over bed a cut glass sunburst mirror centered over bed hung 10" above back of bed. Z Galleries has them. also art. Keep window covers simple. No valance, why do you want curtains going into bathroom?. I would remove, remove all things on mantel and on floor by fireplace. Put your chairs I like the blue ones above. On each side of fireplace and facing bed. Not backs to bed don't use area rug over carpet looks messy. Keep yr room to 2 accent colors. I would just stay with teal, and silver accents. Use silver in lamps they also need to be much taller, you have high ceilings you can do big tall items. Didn't read whole thread sorry, but are you painting? A soft gray would be. Nice with your colors. Bedding is important, I liked your gray shiny bedding. Use that with a white comforter duvet folded on end of bed. Fold back gray comforter 1/4 of way dn. add those peacock pillows from above. cover bench in a peacock feather print. Sorry if I have repeated other post. I see you have done a lot with furn arrangement it looks better.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the teal drapes, they remind me of an India saree. Those drapes would look beautiful with white sheers in between. White or any light color bedding with pops of color (through pillow, throws, or artwork) and different textures would be beautiful. Love the hammered base looking lamp (change the shade to white). You walls painted in a soft gold color would be look nice. Sherwin Williams Anjou Pear is a nice color. Love teal chair
  • 13 years ago
    Extend your curtain rods out. . .
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I don't care for either of the hangings over the bed - the dark one is too much pattern to add and the other one fades out to nothing. While I love the peacock drapes, you need to decide if you are going fou-fou formal or girly colorful with the room. They don't work with the quilt look of the patterned spread, IMO. I'd go rich and dark or colorful and light, but don't try to combine them both.
  • 13 years ago
    From the post above for over bed the teal background one is by far the best.
  • 13 years ago
    If putting desk in niche, just use the one blue chair. Don't put anything on other side of firepl. Not needed. You want a serene retreat. Less is better.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree peacock panels too much. What color are walls? That would determine your panels on windows.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you think you could take the peacock panels to your living room? Know everyone loves them; just not here!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    My wall is a tan color, don't know the exact shade and I won't be able to change it immediately. Maybe in a couple of months but for now will be working with it. I've ordered some green panels, similar to the green lamp base, for the window so will try those too when they arrive but, as mentioned above, dont know how those would work out with the tan wallcolor. Are the mirrors looking too formal as well? The first one is a cut work mirror mosaic. I just put a teal back on it to see how it looks. If I don't put that u will be able to see the wall behind it.
  • 13 years ago
    I would not buy panels, if you are going to paint in a month or two. Painting is the cheapest and biggest change to a room. Accessories, bedding panels all come after choosing wall color. If you are talking about the lime green on panels it won't work to bright for your decor. Sorry. Wait, paint decide.
  • 13 years ago
    I have to disagree with travis a bit. Bedding is easier to match with paint than find the right bedding for the paint afterwards. Don't be in a hurry though!
  • 13 years ago
    What about ivory or champagne curtains like these pics. But my wall color is a little darker than these so the champagne/tan color would just blend in. Sorry for giving you all such tough choices but Im not going to be able to paint for atleast 6 month or so as school starts soon.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    what a fantastic room look Aisha Tai!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hello
    adding cowhide rug, will give an amazing classy look to your interior.
    You can view my houzz profile or facebook page for more images, in mean while i am attaching few that will really stand out, in this interior.
    Thanks again
    Hani Naeem
    www,facebook.com/decorhut
  • 13 years ago
    Do know where this is from? Love it.
  • 13 years ago
    Do you know where this is from? I love it. Or something similar
  • 13 years ago
    Aisha, you could try to do a google image search for it. Or if you found it on Houzz, go back to the picture and ask your question there.
    Etsy.com has lots of art, look for abstract. Who knows you'll find something you love there.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    curtain options?

    plz ignore my lamp wire running over the side table. Will be fixing that ofcourse :)
  • 13 years ago
    .
  • 13 years ago
    The peacock blue ones look less 'overpowering' in daylight which is a good thing. But I also like the light blue ones very much. The lime green is too pale and doesn't look right with your wall colour.
    The light blue ones would be my choice I think.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the lighter blue ones too but does it go with the teal/ peacock on the lamp shade and pillow?
  • 13 years ago
    Yep, to me, on screen, it does look like a good combination.
    Aisha Tai thanked Carolina