Software
Houzz Logo Print
alexisb22

Console table behind sofa?

13 years ago
We have enough space for a console table behind the sofa. My dilemma is what style? We have alot of restoration hardware pieces, and a dark brown leather sofa, so I didn't want anything too dark. Any suggestions? Style, color, etc.?

Comments (21)

  • 13 years ago
    Buffet lamps would be great. What about a bow front console or low bookcase for extra storage. An ivory painted wood piece would keep the light neutral look but some accent color could be fun.
    alexisb22 thanked kathleen MK
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The sofa looks as if the sections recline..if yes how would that effect a sofa table? Also, I think a sofa table would just clutter up the area as there is a lot going on in the room already. I think a sofa table just may be a tipping point for the room. What you do not have are any lamps or tables to the side of the light colored chair or the ends of the 2 sofas. Therefore the only place to set a drink for everyone is the long stretch to the coffee table..not good. Also lamp light is often far better than overhead spots. Otherwise, the room looks great as is.
    alexisb22 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all. Barbara- with the two side tables we have already, what do you suggest for the additional tables? What about a floor lamp option?
  • 13 years ago
    A traditional table would match the room. A lamp and some old books would be a nice touch up to the room.
    alexisb22 thanked bordercolliesrule
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would use the beautiful round table in the forefront, next to the single chair(far side) with no lamp..just a place for a drink and a book or other decor. Suggest a "Strand" nesting table and/or Heirloom Silver side trunk both by RH. One for the forefront corner we see in the picture with a great lamp, and the other to the left side of the sofa along the wall, also with a great lamp.
    alexisb22 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 13 years ago
    Leather sofas wood beams, looks country, then block painted wall gold and white looks traditional. White/ gray chair? modern painting and Lots of knick knacks. What style are you wanting? I would say rustic country as you like restoration hardware. Paint the walls a nice color (adobe) and the paint the ceiling a shade lighter of the same color. Some wood blinds, and how about a new larger area rug with some color. Take at least half of the knick knacks away. If you don't want to cover the glass doors just buy a short (36") wood roman shade and fake it out but it would match the other windows. Hope this gives you some room for thought. Good luck
    alexisb22 thanked Walter Comstock
  • 13 years ago
    Forgot the question,LOL Yes a nice sofa table with shelves for books wood look very country.
    alexisb22 thanked Walter Comstock
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Why dont you use the table you have underneath the tv and place it behind the sofa. The tree can be moved where you have the baby green chair, and place the rocking chair where you have the tree right now. OR just move the tree and leave the rocking chair where it is.
    alexisb22 thanked HappyHouse
  • 13 years ago
    Barbara- My first instinct is the trunk is too solid, since there is already a lot of wood going on. But I do really like the idea of the mirrored nesting table. You think that would go with everything else?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It is an antiqued mirror and it is open on 2 sides. These pieces are not very large, and there would only be one of each (trunk & nesting table of 2).
    alexisb22 thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • 13 years ago
    Agree with Barbara that a sofa table may be overkill. I'd add a large round table in the lower left corner of the pic (axis of the two sofas), skirted with a patterned fabric in your accent color (coral/persimmon?), topped with a good sized roundish lamp/shade. The round shapes will help you since the room is grid-heavy now. Move one of the smaller round side tables to the chair. If you don't like both of those being on the same side of the room, swap one of those out for a different side table. It's a lovely room.
    alexisb22 thanked Doug Warner
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Interesting to read different takes on the same room.
    I really like HappyHouse's idea of relocating the table from under the TV, its a bit cluttered there. The pale chair fabric is a great balance and contrast to the heavy leather but I'd like to see more. 2 Cube Ottomans in the same (or similar) fabric would work well under the TV. No lamps on sofa table. keep the decorations there low like a pile of books etc. 2 matching trunks on either side of sofa against wall with tall lamps there. Move the plant a little closer to the TV. Round table next to pale chair.
    That all feels like a better balance.
    alexisb22 thanked VMD Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    Use color from end table. RH good place to look get something heavy.
    alexisb22 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe high gloss black
    alexisb22 thanked bordercolliesrule
  • 13 years ago
    I ditto suggestions to use table under the tv minus the knicknacks, and possibly with a couple of lamps to add some verticality and functionality. To me, backs of floating sofas need to be "dressed" with console tables.

    I also agree with VM Design's suggestion to take the table from the plant corner and use it for the chair. That grounds the chair and declutters that corner.

    I love moulding and lots of detail, but the tv wall seems to have quite a bit going on to the point where it's distracting and inconsistent with the wall with the beautiful painting. Your room is great with tons of character, but could really shine with some editing. Good luck!
    alexisb22 thanked illig1
  • 13 years ago
    Like the large round table between the sofas idea; putting the table under the tv behind the couch; moving the round table on the right over to the chair; and a couple of upholstered ottomans under the tv. Think it would look great! Actually, I think it looks good now :)
    alexisb22 thanked wallysgirll
  • 13 years ago
    You have too much stuff by TV. Remove all not needed. Use baskets like you have on all shelves.
    alexisb22 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    After looking at rm I would not add sofa table. Just another horizontal surface, where you can put things. I think room has enough.
    alexisb22 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    I pretty much have this set up. I put a long upholstered backless bench behind. My dog loves it. I notice when I have people over they sit on it over the chairs.
    alexisb22 thanked User