Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james_harcourt

Mature green leaf acer wilting

James Harcourt
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

Back story: we moved a mature Green-leaved Acer back in January in the UK winter (we're in Sussex). The move was to a slightly different part of the garden which is mostly clay soil which has been improved with various doses of compost over the years. There was a little bark damage on the main trunk but not too deep + a bit of pruning to allow the tree to be moved. But it seemed to recover remarkably and a Winter with two cold snaps ended with a lot of wet followed by - so far - a hot, sunny and quite dry early-to-mid Spring.

So this Acer seemed to burst into leaf very early and I was very happy. However, the leaves - whilst being pretty fulsome - suddenly started to die starting in one lower section and slowly spreading outwards. Many branches look green still, with healthy leaves - but some of those that were healthy earlier are now wilted and some of the thinner branches snap off easily.

Overall the tree looks like it's alive to me … more alive than dying … but a section has just withered and more sections look wilted now and I'm worried.

Some pictures are below.

Hopefully somebody can help.

Comment (1)