Software
Houzz Logo Print
pattees

Outdated brick but potential??? I'll do anything!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I will paint this brick or paint the ivory vinyl trim with your recommendation, but lack confidence to start without some expert/or insightful advice to continue!

Willing to do anything to give this house a wow factor. The trees are coming down, deck over the double garage will all go. (paint garage doors ?). Planning on new steps from drive up to the house. Chicken me is asking for your advice if you can see past this orange brick. Many thanks!


Comments (39)

  • 8 years ago

    Susan, pictures needed.

    SJ thanked Angel 18432
  • 8 years ago

    Unless the brick is really bad, don't paint it. You will take something that does not require upkeep to something that does, and repainting a house now and then is expensive.

    SJ thanked jhmarie
  • 8 years ago

    We really can't see anything without pics. You can add them to this comment section.

    SJ thanked Denita
  • 8 years ago
    Paint the brick and/or trim? Orange brick is not my favorite!
  • 8 years ago

    Painting the trim is a lot cheaper and easier than the brick. If you really want to change the color of the brick, look into brick staining instead of brick painting.


    I would definitely not get rid of the trees- mature trees are a selling point for many.

    SJ thanked ddgdl
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Romabio. Virtually maintenance free. Can be color matched to major paint brands. For example, Simply White from Ben Moore or Shoji White from Sherwin Williams. https://romabio.com/all-products/biodomus-ii/

    SJ thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Why take down the trees? Are they diseased? If not, please do not remove them, trees are beautiful and they provide shade in the summer to cool your home and landscape.

    SJ thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 8 years ago

    I would at least consider removing the two larger trees. They take away from the view of the house. Also, in the top picture, one of the trees looks rather close to the house. That is dangerous and could damage your roof over time.


    That brick is too orange and looks generic. Find a professional and have them paint using a ceramic based paint. This creates a nice seal and basically reduces the maintanence to a minimum.

    SJ thanked Rachel G
  • 8 years ago

    Glad to hear the trees are coming down you have more than enough in the surrounding area and those clearly take away from the view of the house. I would also paint that brick. I haven't seen that brick color well favored in a very long time. I would paint. Did that at my last house and my wife and I loved it.

    SJ thanked Drew O'shea
  • 8 years ago

    The brick and the trees are not the problem. The house is quite attractive.

    The problem is the old landscaping that needs to be removed and new plantings installed. One thing at a time.

    SJ thanked Angel 18432
  • 8 years ago

    I like the idea of painting the brick. Not crazy about its color. You should probably also address landscaping to really make your house pop. I think the trees should come down. These trees block your house and would hide whatever landscape you do put in.

    SJ thanked Shiela D
  • 8 years ago

    Also, as Lori and Rachel said. There are paints that are basically maintenance fee on the market. I would bite the bullet and paint it.

    SJ thanked Shiela D
  • 8 years ago
    As long as you are fine with the thousands of dollars you HAVE to spend replacing the bricks that spall and repainting (plan for every 5 years). We bought a house in central Indiana that was an orangey maintenance free brick house that the previous owners painted. It was / is a superb paint job. Nonetheless, it’s time to maintain it so we had 3 bids for masons and painters and now we know we have to plan for $10k at least every 5 years. If this is something you are comfortable with then go ahead and paint it. As for the trees if none are invasive with your home then consider an arborist. A good heavy pruning on all the trees can be transformative without actually removing them.
    SJ thanked thinkdesignlive
  • 8 years ago

    So much potential, but I think the brick and trees are eyesores. Not a nice color for brick at all. I would paint and brighten it up. With proper application maintenance is not that bad. The trees hide your house. Get rid of them.

    SJ thanked Allison Lane
  • 8 years ago

    Agree. Tweak the landscaping ( it really needs to be redone ) & paint the trim , live with that for awhile before doing anything drastic. What is your problem is with the trees? Just curious, are they diseased? Messy? To me, they provide interest. I would love to have them if I had the room :)

    SJ thanked K Laurence
  • 8 years ago
    Sophie brings up a good point about mold and mildew. On the north side of our wooded lot our painted brick house (painting was not our doing but now we are the new homeowners maintaining it)...lots of mossy mildew needs to be spray washed every year. And every time you spray wash you flake off paint. Again, $$$ In maintenance if you go this route.
    SJ thanked thinkdesignlive
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Maybe if you got landscaping close to the house that you really like, the trees wouldn't bother you so much and with time they will grow on you. (figuratively.)

    If they invite too many birds, there are ways to deal with that. There was a thread about just that not too long ago.

    And then there is always a dog.

    The scene from Steel Magnolias is so funny!

    SJ thanked loobab
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would leave the trees and would not paint the brick. I would focus my efforts on removing the bushes along the house and allocate my money to landscaping that showcases the home. For ideas, I would contact a landscape designer. After landscaping makeover, I would consider trim paint options if it's still needed.

    Focus on smaller bushes that create movement, interest and angles. Layer different shapes, and flowering type bushes. Something similar to this...

    Less Lawn More Garden · More Info
    Less Lawn More Garden · More Info

    Hope this helps!

    SJ thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    Do not paint the brick embrace it.

    With the right color trim. Landscaping and highlighting the front door this can look like a whole other house.

    SJ thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Mineral paint product on brick does not behave the same as regular paint on brick. When applied correctly, it won't flake or peel.

    It's key to research the product so you know the difference and you know what to expect.

    SJ thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 8 years ago

    Sell the house to someone who will appreciate it. Go build a new house in a hay field.

    SJ thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I don't think those dark (yew?) shrubs around the house are doing much to lift it up if that's what you are trying to do. There is nothing wrong with brick. Why get rid of the trees? Are they unhealthy, casting too much shade? I'd put in a flower bed (but that's just me) and I'd put in orangey coloured plants into the beds. An orange and pink garden with really bright colours or lots of light coloured flowers and foliage. If the door is in the middle, it might be nice to put the focus on that and put in a big sweeping path down the middle of the lawn.

    SJ thanked J Williams
  • 8 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    Not sure if this can be done with your home. They added window molding to bring out the windows on the house. I suggested the pic for another brick home, but you maybe able to see something in it that you may like.

    Here is some inspiration:


    15 Kirkbradden · More Info

    SJ thanked njmomma
  • 8 years ago

    If you use a mineral or ceramic based paint there is minimal maintenance. People have a lot of misconceptions about painting brick. It works well if you do it right. In your case, I think the house would look better. I also personally don’t like that many trees in my yard, too much upkeep and trimming is expensive to keep up with. I also think they block your house.

    SJ thanked Ray D
  • 8 years ago

    A few people have mentioned that the trees block the house.

    Block the house from what or whom?

    Isn't privacy a good thing?

    The grass looks to be in good condition, so the trees aren't blocking that much sun, and in any event, the trees can be pruned if their canopy is too large.

    Since the trees are tall, they are not blocking the view out of the windows .

    The trees are not so close to the house that their overhanging branches create a fire hazard, nor are they so close, that a thief or other marauder can hide behind them while planning to gain entry to the house.

    It doesn't look like their roots are disrupting any sidewalks or other structures.

    What exactly are the trees blocking?


    SJ thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    I dont know if I would say block but I do think they hide too much of the house. Just my opinion but I think that is a factor in landscaping. I like to be able to see my house from the road. Privacy is fine which is why I would keep one but I just think from my stand point 3 trees is a bit much. Also, I always worry about trees falling toward the house or dropping debris on my roof. It has happened many times, which is why some home insurance companies will increase rates if you have a large tree right by your house. They may even reccomend removal. I dont think keeping trees is worth that kind of worry but that is just me. There appear to be plenty of other trees around to makeup for the loss of these.

    SJ thanked Rachel G
  • 8 years ago

    Maybe I used a poor choice of words. I think Rachel said it best. They distract from the look and beauty of the home to me.

    SJ thanked Ray D
  • 8 years ago

    I agree with getting rid of the old evergreen shrubs, plant pretty flowering shrubs and maybe put some window boxes under your front windows, they look very small...the windows and landscaping are the only things I dislike about the house. Can you post a picture of the entry porch?

    SJ thanked C D
  • 8 years ago

    Do I think the OP is a bad person? No! Do I think she bought the wrong house? Yes! This is a home for a family that appreciates a woodland. A Mid century house. This will NEVER be what she wants no matter how much she rips out.

    SJ thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I agree that the brick looks great. I would change the trim to a dark brown/black and also paint(or replace) window frames to a bronze.. Remove all of the shrubs.

    Check with DigDoug below for landscape ideas.
    Dig Doug Designs

    SJ thanked phuninthesun
  • 8 years ago

    I would not paint the brick. Right now your house is in a park like setting- I like the trees unless they are diseased or damaging pipes or the driveway. Your house can be transformed by good landscaping.

  • 8 years ago

    Sure, strip all the trees out. Let the house and yard bake in the summer sun like any new McMansion or ranch house.

  • 8 years ago

    I think painting brick can help a house stand out. It gives you more color options, and as has been said many times. You can use paints that are mineral based that don't really increase the need for maintenance.

    SJ thanked Brenda Abraham
  • 8 years ago

    It looks to me as if the trees need to be limbed up. Do that rather than remove them. It will cost less and still look nice.

    The plantings near the house are horrible. Instead of shaped shrubs I think you should design a woodland type landscaping.


    SJ thanked emmarene9
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    oh wow, that last picture is wonderful.

    emmarene, is that your house?

    I would want to lay right down there with a good book and a thermos of coffee!

    SJ thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    loobab: You can't lay down with a good book and a thermos of coffee; you have too much yard work to do to maintain that. ;-)

    Clearly somebody has hired help.

    SJ thanked tatts
  • 8 years ago

    lol!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    With a yard that big you need the trees! Big mistake if you cut them down.

    The house could use bigger windows in front and new updated landscaping.

    BTW, I'm not some treehugger. You have to know cutting down those big, beautiful mature trees would DIMINISH the "look" of your property. People buy lots like yours and tear down the house for those trees and your big front yard. They don't take away from the house at all, they add to it.

    SJ thanked OllieJane