Software
Houzz Logo Print
schesas

Need help updating exterior

8 years ago

We have painters coming Monday to start painting our siding, and I need help with colors! My original plan is to paint it black, or close to it. I do love that idea, but I want to be totally sure, as black is a big commitment. I'm open to all ideas!

Here's a picture of the exterior as it is:

Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago

    I definitely don't want cream. I hate the white as it is right now. I'm not necessarily opposed to a lighter gray, I just haven't found a particular gray that has convinced me. I'm not scared of the black being so bold, I just don't want it to look like a haunted house once it's through :) Here's my very crude mockup...


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Love it! Way better than the white. I might do the inner window trim a bit lighter than the siding and shutters for a bit of contrast. Like 75% tint.

    I like the top two of the choices you posted. A black with blue undertones would be awesome with the brick.

    Also screams for a fun front door color. Very sharp and modern! Be bold!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I understand your desire for a darker shade. I wanted a navy house until I read this article (link below)

    " Painting the exterior of you home is a major investment.....While dark colors on trim can provide a pleasant contrast and draw attention to architectural detail, they are much more prone to FADING Dark colors also pose more maintenance problems. Dark colors absorb heat and suffer more moisture problems than lighter shades. That’s why lighter colors last longer and fade less than dark colors. And because dark colors fade faster, they are MORE DIFFICULT TO TOUCH UP"

    Read this: http://www.sensationalcolor.com/color-for-your-home/fresh-color-for-your-home-exterior/choosing-exterior-paint-colors-that-last-11105#.WxBtQK9HarU

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    yes black. or deep charcoal. And they make exterior paint that holds up very well. some fading is normal, but it will take 5-10 years. not a big deal.

    if you went w/more of a gray, it would look like this. i like the black better.

    bring in some cedar elements if you want, to warm it up a tad. maybe some cedar window boxes w/flowers. that would add quite a bit of visual interest for you

    even the black boxes would be pretty under those front windows

    schesas thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, Beth! That second home is one of my all time favorites. We only need it to last 5-10 years before we do a bigger reno, so I'm not too worried about the fading... also, I'm going to go with form over function on this one :) I've been trying to convince my husband of the window boxes for years... maybe one day!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    well, I think you have the ideal windows for a few of those boxes. it would look perfect and break up that stark white.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Then I would go with the lighter of the two top options - Cyberspace. The grey in that paint would bring out the lighter grey tone of your roof. Flower boxes would look awesome! As would a new door to the breezeway.

  • 8 years ago

    My choice is black or a very dark green! Adorable house.


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    There is a color called Charleston Green. I used it on the front door and porch swing of a previous house. I used a BM paint made to match the true Charleston Green which is by Duron.

    Click image to make larger
    Click image to make larger

    Charleston Green

    Local legend says that Charleston Green, a green so deep it looks black, came about after the Civil War when Union troops sent buckets of black paint to help rebuild the decimated town. Colorful Charleston residents couldn’t bear the thought of their Holy City being painted government-issued black, so they tinted the paint with yellow and green, creating Charleston’s signature greenish-black accent color.

    Regardless of the tale’s truth, the inky green is ideal for defining shutters, doors, ironwork, and window trim on homes everywhere. It looks especially great against a white body. For maximum impact, try it in a glossy finish.

    Get the Color: Historic Charleston Green (DCR099) by Duron; duron.com.

  • 8 years ago

    IMO, black on smaller portions of the house look great, as on the bay window in the above pic, but to paint such a large area as yours makes it look like a black hole, especially with the black roof. I would look closely at the brick and pick out a gray color to match.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes to some value of gray, but not all the way black.

  • 8 years ago

    Two grays and a black. I also painted your downspouts red to match the brick.




  • 8 years ago

    I think i like #2,, black would work too,,,as long as you can see the individual boards. I would also do one of those gooseneck lights in a brass finish, directly over the middle of the garage door

  • 8 years ago
    I like #2, as well. I’ll try to go find something a little lighter than black so I can better make a decision.

    Beth, I’ve got a gooseneck light in polished copper and I’m having polished copper house numbers made. I almost went brass, but I couldn’t break away from the siren song of the copper. :)
  • 8 years ago

    oh copper is better! (it will get brown though if it's real copper. i have a copper rain chain and copper spouts on my pond. they all tarnish within a month)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations