Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie83

chlorothalonil

8 years ago

Where can I get this??? I was Told I have dollar spot and do put this down, I have NO clue where to get it

Comments (20)

  • 8 years ago

    Where do I buy it??? Thanks

  • 8 years ago

    Any garden center or box store will have it. It is a very common product despite its drawbacks.

  • 8 years ago

    What drawbacks? Also I applied Bayer 5 days ago so probably have to wait, was going to go with Scott's for my second application and put down another application of Milo as I last put it down on may 9, Thanks so much

  • 8 years ago

    It is a suspected carcinogen, can cause severe irritation to eyes and skin on those who have a sensitivity, is extremely toxic to honeybees, fish and aquatic life, has been found to leach into groundwater and breaks down into a compound that has been shown to be 30 times more acutely toxic than chlorothalonil and more persistent in the environment.

    Lisa thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 8 years ago

    So would you stick to Scott's? Lol that's some crazy stuff

  • 8 years ago

    I think I'll take the brown patches in my lawn over the cancer risk thank you.

  • 8 years ago

    Personally, I choose not use anything that has a Scott's label :-) But that is my personal philosophy. If the product is registered for dollar spot and works, then it is entirely up to you.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases-in-turf/dollar-spot-in-turf/

    Worth a read. NC State puts out some good Lawn Care articles. I believe a lot of the Bermuda Bible came from an NC State article.

    Also, just looked up Daconil as I have dollar spot and it specifies not to use on home lawns.


    Lisa thanked sherm1082
  • 8 years ago

    Just put down second application of milorganite, you should too if you have dollar spot, been reading so much about nitrogen & Dollar spot

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Hi Lisa. I'm curious about your dollar spot. Do you know 100% that is is dollar spot? I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just wondering how you know. Can a diagnosis be made just by looking at the size and shape of the diseased patch? If my fungus comes back again despite the fungicide I'm going to take a big sample and send it to Rutgers for an actual analysis of what I have. Maybe I'll be surprised. Data is good.

    Also, read this older article on Headway G, which is what I have been using. It mentions dollar spot a couple of times. I get it at SiteOne for about $90 in a 30 lb bag. Pricey, but a little goes a long way.

    http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/article/ll-110711-headway-fungicide-syngenta/

    Lisa thanked danielj_2009
  • 8 years ago

    Daniel, I did so much research on it and spoke to different youtube guru's who have Lawn channels and one is a chemist and he even said it was dollar spot, and also how it took to the Milorganite last summer it literally went away after I put down a good application of it in August, totally went away, I read that Headway G is good, it's propiconazole in Liquid form right??? I heard it works well on dollar spot too, They have it on Amazon I think, I have to wait another week before I put another Fungicide down, I am in Pittsburgh PA , I can take a sample and send it to Penn state which I may do but its not super bad yet ( fingers crossed ) just some patches here and there I hope the N keeps it growing out, time will tell. I am doing everything I can , mowing high, not watering at all ( we had tons of rain ) and N apps, Fungicide apps I mow on 3 1/2 every 4 days...what do you have for a fungus? and where do you live? are you seeing signs??

  • 8 years ago

    Gotcha Lisa. I was reading up on dollar spot just now and it looks like you are doing the right things. It appears that it can be spread by infected clippings. Has anyone recommended that you bag clippings instead of mulching? I also see that "sewerage sludge" aka milorganite type products have been effective on dollar spot.

    I live in northern NJ probably not too far from Joe. I don't know if I have necrotic ring spot or summer patch. They are similar and both can be treated with Headway G. How effective it will be I don't know. Headway G is a granular product (the G means granular) and appears to be a very good product. It also seems that dollar spot may be easier to deal with than things like summer patch, so at least that's good news for you. I'd look into bagging clippings if you aren't already. I'd be interested to know what your youtube guru's think.

    I need to take a closer look at my lawn tomorrow. I am starting to see yellowing blades here and there but I'm not sure if they are just old and dying normally or if there is infection. I don't see any organized patches of die off. I have looked at the areas that were infected last year in some detail and so far so good. I have new grass growing in the middle of infected dead areas and they are nice and green... so far. Fingers crossed.

    Lisa thanked danielj_2009
  • 8 years ago

    I Always Bag my clippings, and I am weary about going over it with the mower but I am not going to wash the blades each time, I am anal about my lawn but not that anal, pretty much doing all I can, I heard of headway, Heritage, there are so many out there it's so confusing! I had summer patch back in 2008 and it destroyed my lawn so bad I thought it was Chinch sp? bug damage, but had the classic ( frog eye ) appearance, that was the Fall I put sod down and took out the whole lawn in 2008 it's super super thick, which I like but when you walk on it it leaves footprints I don't like that Lol I try not to walk On it Ha Ha I am a little OCD w my lawn, ya think?? ;)

  • 8 years ago

    Lawn Care:

    "Serenity now.....insanity later."


    -courtesy of Seinfeld

  • 8 years ago

    Ortho Garden Disease Control uses the active ingredient. You may have to google lawn application rates as it is not labelled for that use anymore. As mentioned, this and other brands can be had locally, but in the garden product section, not lawn.

    Lisa thanked mishmosh
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, going to stick with scott's and Bayer back and forth till the weather improves, just put down another application of milorganite last night and it's only been 6 days since I put the Bayer down, keeping an eye on the spots, Out of my hands at this point

  • 8 years ago

    Does anyone know when dealing with a fungal disease if it gets worse before it gets better? I thought maybe that the sick grass will be grown out and the healthy portion will be under. I'm not sure if my problem is getting worse.

  • 8 years ago

    Zt, they say that it looks like its getting worse because it's pushing the new growth up out of the canopy so maybe that is what you're seeing

  • 8 years ago

    Also it depends on the kind of disease. If you have something like NRS or summer patch you won't see the real damage until mid or late summer. Basically you're screwed before you know it because it starts infecting in the spring and unless you are doing something about it by then, well...

0