Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

spam e-mails through this site....?

Over the last two days I have been getting spam e-mails - all with links to click on! - at the e-mail address I only use on this site, so I assume they are either coming from here or from somewhere this site has old data to or this site has been hacked. Has anyone else got these sort of e-mails that seem to somehow be traceable to here?

Comments (11)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

No, not yet....

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Nope. I have only one email account that I use for everything. But it has very efficient spam filters and all the junk email goes to a junk email folder. I check it periodically to make sure nothing important got diverted there, then delete it. Otherwise, non-personal bulk email goes into another folder (all Houzz notifications, etc.) and personal email goes yet to another. No spam nowhere :-))

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

i would report this using the CONTACT US link down below ... ken

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Emily H
    5 years ago

HI there, Houzz does not share your email address with our pros. You can get in touch with our team at help.houzz.com. Thanks!

• spedigrees z4VT
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is why it is a good idea to never, ever post anything anywhere on the internet that you wish to keep private:

https://www.houzz.com/termsOfUse

2. Your Content.

You acknowledge and agree that, as part of using the Houzz Platform, Your Content may be viewed by the general public and will not be treated as private or confidential.

License and Permission to Use Your Content. You hereby grant to us and our affiliates, licensees and sublicensees, without compensation to you or others, a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, worldwide license (including the right to sublicense through multiple tiers) to use, reproduce, process, adapt, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, prepare derivative works, publish, transmit and distribute Your Content, or any portion thereof, throughout the world in any format, media or distribution method (whether now known or hereafter created) for the duration of any copyright or other rights in Your Content. Such permission will be perpetual and may not be revoked for any reason, to the maximum extent permitted by law. Further, to the extent permitted under applicable law, you waive and release and covenant not to assert any moral rights that you may have in Your Content. If you identify yourself by name or provide a picture or audio or video recording of yourself, you further authorize us and our affiliates, licensees and sublicensees, without compensation to you or others, to reproduce, print, publish and disseminate in any format or media (whether now known or hereafter created) your name, voice and likeness throughout the world, and such permission will be perpetual and cannot be revoked for any reason, except as required by the applicable law. You further agree that we may use Your Content in any manner that we deem appropriate or necessary.

Maybe, as Emily claims, Houzz does not share email addresses of gardenweb members with their "pros," but they surely share much of your info with everyone else in the world, as does every other internet forum.

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada thanked spedigrees z4VT
  • woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I delete these suspicious e-mails (after doing the 'Block sender' routine) and never click on any of the links. If by 'Pros' Emily/Houzz means someone in the landscaping or house construction/renovation business, I 'm not sure if that is where they originated. Since I deleted them, I can't go back and read them - all I remember is a couple of them had something to do with an abrasion product.. I guess that could be considered house-related though couldn't it....? I think it may be time to step away from this site for a while and see what happens....

• Emily H
    5 years ago

Hi Woodyoak, I mentioned "Pros" because of the first comment saying that they believed that we did share with pros. I'll clarify, though. We do not share your email address with other users. If you get any more, please do get in touch with our team at help.houzz.com.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Never got any spam from this sight.

Sherry

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Sped, your content means what you post. So for instance your comments and pictures.

• gdinieontarioz5
    5 years ago

Woody, it need not be via Houzz. Spammers also send messages to likely sounding randomly generated addresses from known providers. If they don’t get a bounce, they know the address is live, and they can use it.