Software
Houzz Logo Print
nic76

What color walls?

8 years ago

I cannot not find a paint color that I think looks good with my couch. I am looking in the beige/Greige range. What are the undertones in this couch? Any wall color suggestions?


Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago



    Hmmm, pink isn’t an undertone I had considered.....

    Here’s a few more photos. My wall color is currently SW Keystone Gray and I feel like it’s “off” somehow.

  • 8 years ago

    It’s hard to tell for sure when the colors have been sent through your camera and through the inter webs and into my iPad. Your wall color looks a bit greenish. Your floor tile looks either a bit cream or a tiny bit greenish. If you put a sofa pillow on the floor, does the floor look yellow and pillow look pink?

    I struggled mightily with a pink beige sofa. A pair of them, in fact. Around the time I gave up and donated them to a young family member I finally figured it out and told her to paint her living room blue. Presto. Now I’m fighting with different furniture.

    Not certain about yours, mine were more in my face. Try testing some blue paint samples.

  • 8 years ago

    Here is the sofa cushion on the tile floor.

    To me it looks more silvery but I can’t tell for sure anymore.

    I’ve only had the couch about 18 months so my husband wouldn’t be happy if I got a new one right now. It looked totally different in the store and it’s my fault for not being some fabric home before I bought it to see it in my space.

    It’s an open floor plan which I want to keep all one color and blues aren’t my favorite. Not sure I could do blue walls everywhere..... I don’t really want to go cold gray either. Sigh.....

  • 8 years ago

    In that photo the cushion looks a bit purple taupe-ish. It really doesn’t look bad at all. Your patterned pillows have both the sofa and wall color in them, which is good. Maybe if you found a couple of pillows with more of the wall color on them? I know.

    Did you post this in the home decorating forum?

  • 8 years ago
    I really don't think your wall has a strong undertone. But your paint is definitely green. You just need something that is more taupe and less green- basically more neutral. Do you like the current LRV (darkness level)? I would try Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray or even Stonington Gray. And go at least 2 shades lighter or darker than the couch.
  • 8 years ago

    I feel like the wall color is too dark and I’d like to go lighter. I’ve tried Edgecomb and it looks too beige to me. Same with Accessible beige. I like agreeable gray during the day but it gets too gray at night and I think it makes the couch look dirty.

  • 8 years ago

    Agreeable gray

  • 8 years ago
    I actually brought a couch cushion into a paint store with me and got help picking a whole house color scheme. A real paint store, not a big box. Call ahead to make sure their designer will be in. Maybe even bring a floor tile if you have an extra.
  • 8 years ago
    Hmm. I think agreeable gray (LRV 60) is too close to the color of your couch. So maybe look for something in the 50 LRV range. I looked up your current color and it's 30 so that will still be much lighter.

    I wonder if a gray that leans slightly pink or purple will work for you. Paired with your slightly pink floor and couch it may appear more of a true neutral. Something like BM Cumulus Cloud or SW mindful gray.
  • 8 years ago

    I’ll look at those colors. Thanks!

  • 8 years ago

    Gwen, I don’t pick anything in the paint store. Their lighting is so off and the color chips look completely different in store than they do in my home.

  • 8 years ago
    That's the reason for bringing your couch cushion with you. The designer was able to identify all the colors and undertones of the fabric, and then recommend paint colors to go with it based on what I wanted. Professional color consultants know their stuff. If you don't want to pay for an in-home consult, they can still help a lot just by having this fabric and knowing if your room is north or south exposure etc. Then obviously you bring the paint chips they help you find home to make your ultimate decision.