Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindzblake

New flooring throughout?

8 years ago

My design abilities are horrible. So I’m turning to you all to help me with some ideas on what to do with flooring

My dishwasher leaked all over the floor and now I need to pick new flooring. It was always in the plan since we moved in but a few years from now. the blue carpet in the living room is going. The hardwood is going (It’s in the hallway and dining area) the mudroom flooring is being changed as well as the kitchen (obviously)

so im wondering if it would be to much to have the same flooring through the living room, the dining room, hallway and kitchen? i was kind of thinking of having the kitchen different from the rest. The cabinets are oak now but I’m planning on having them painted at some point. I don’t know what to do I have included pictures. Hoping this makes sense.





Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago

    You can do both. Oftentimes it looks far more smooth and cohesive to have one flooring throughout the main living areas of the home. That being said, it is rather typical to have kitchen flooring finished in something 'durable'.

    I know you said your hardwoods were going, but if you extended that same hardwood into the kitchen and into the living room, your home would have greater flow. The more I looked at your hardwood floor, the more I actually liked it. The floor quality looks really superior and well-installed. You could consider keeping the hardwood floor and refinishing it with a less yellow light stain, and wider white baseboard to set it off.

    Your house actually has really good flow, and you would be able to really impart that visually with a single flooring.

    Also, the railing/fencing separating the hall from the living room seems to be out of place, and gobbles up floor space. Have you considered removing it?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks! Yes I’m planning on taking that railing removed! Yuck! Thanks for reminding me! I also want the big cupboard thing removed as my husband and kids throw their junk on there all the time!

    I was just looking at pictures of flooring and I do like the hardwood look too. The insurance quoted on refinishing the hardwood. I never liked the color of it but didn’t realize refinishing it could change the color of it! (I just googled how they did it) I just don’t know if the same hardwood could be purchased. It is old old old!

    and I do want to change the baseboards all white. We have been slowly doing it in the bedrooms to start

    Thanks for the advice!

  • 8 years ago

    I forgot. My ceiling in the living room looks like this. Might it be to woody if I had the hardwood?

  • 8 years ago

    There's a good chance that there is hardwood under that blue carpet. Have you investigated?

  • 8 years ago

    I have not. I will take a look. Good idea! That would be awesome!

  • 8 years ago

    No luck on the hardwood under the carpet. Do u think if I did a grey/brown planking it would look ok with the ceiling?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    No, don't do the gray brown planking when you have the wooden ceiling. Try to match the ceiling and your cabinets (don't paint them) so everything harmonizes. The wood doesn't need to be the exact color as the ceiling but in that range. You also have very dark brown/black leather pieces, so contrast will be good with a lighter floor. When it's all done, look for a large area rug that ties the golden reddish wood color, your dark brown sofas, and an accent color. You can scratch your gray/brown itch with a rug.

    Caftan Stripe Multi Rug, 8'x11' · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    Ok. Thanks for the info! I’m sooo bad at this. I’m going to the flooring store on Monday so I’m going to be looking for more ideas to take with me.

    The ceiling is pretty yellowy which I’m not a fan of. Is there colors I should stay away from? Other than the grey/ brown u already mentioned?

    Would something darker such as this picture be ok or would that be to dark? I’m going bonkers just thinking about this. I deal with teeth all day. White teeth / pink gums. Easy!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Very dark floors really, really show scratches and dust. Also with your very dark big sofas, plus the wood ceiling, dark floors will make everything dark and cavelike. Your hallway floors look like a great color and harmonize well with your cabinets and wood ceiling. Any other colors are going to give you a mish mash. Try to keep the basics in harmony and not pick out finishes just by themselves because you saw it on a home show. Work with what you have--golden tone ceiling and cabinets. Remember, you'll have rugs, art, and curtains to enhance the wood.

  • 8 years ago

    Ok. Thanks for taking the time to help me out! Crossing my fingers I pick something that works!

  • 8 years ago

    Bring your photos to the flooring place and show the ceiling photo. I know you're not a fan of the yellow, but what the designer of the house did was harmonize the flooring and cabinet woods to the ceiling so they echo each other. Shoot for that idea--an echo of the ceiling. Look at the oaks first--white oak with a bit of gold stain in it for warmth. If you get kitchen tiles, then a cream with a smidgen of golden tones will pull it altogether whether you paint the cabinets eventually or not. And it'll go with oak hardwoods. Wood floors in the living, dining, and hallways are classic and will work with your ceiling.

    Honed Durango Commercial Beige Travertine, 12"x12", 10 Sq Ft · More Info

    lindzblake thanked housegal200
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Caftan Stripe Multi Rug, 8'x11' · More Info

    Honed Durango Commercial Beige Travertine, 12"x12", 10 Sq Ft · More Info

    5"x5/8" White Oak Prefinished Engineered Wood Flooring, 4mm, 1 Box · More Info

    Yes, avoid engineered wood floors. I only put in the above example for coordinating colors between your ceiling and new wood floors.

  • 8 years ago

    Those look like nice wood floors, it’d be a shame to rip them out and put in some engineered product. If you get unfinished flooring for the other areas, then have everything refinished together it should look cohesive.

  • 8 years ago

    If your floors are red oak, consider having them sanded and new hardwood installed as suggested. You could finished the floors with just a topcoat to keep them lighter or pick a stain in a mid tone that has a green undertone to help balance out the red. This is natural red oak with just a clear protective coat.