Software
Houzz Logo Print
broomatt

Update Brick Exterior

8 years ago

I live in a bungalow built in 1930 that I have completely redone on the interior ( Instagram-@broomebungalow). It is now time to turn my focus to the exterior. I recently had the roof redone and the foundation restuccoed... and the windows were all replaced before I moved in.


I am debating on a german schmear for my brick, and figuring out the right look for the gable end. The brick has terrible looking, deep, recessed, discolored mortar joints. I don't want to paint the house because I've seen brick like this painted with the deep joints and it looks like a lego house. Hence, why I am leaning toward a german schmear techique. I love the look but scared of the commmitment. My other option is to learn tuckpointing and redo all of the mortar joints to bring them out more flush with the brick.


Anyhow, I have attached some photos of the front and a close up of the side of the brick. Let me know if you have any fabulous ideas for either the brick or the gable end. I removed a much of aluminum siding from the house which is why it currently looks like a crack house. My neighbors I bet are anxiously waiting for me to tackle this project! Thank you in advance for your suggestions!





Comments (3)