Software
Houzz Logo Print
bjb817

St. Augustine Fungus

8 years ago

I've been batting various fungi for the almost five years we've been at our house. Currently I'm dealing with the leaf spots in the pic.


I've already tried actinovate previously, which didn't help. I brought out the big guns and had fungicide applied by pro, again to no avail. It seems like no matter the time of year, I'm dealing with something.


I'm in Austin, TX. I water once a week in the wee am hours before sunup. We're tightly restricted by the city.


Any guidance any of you can give will be much appreciated.


Comments (7)

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, I swear by cornmeal for just what you have on St Augustine. However, how long ago did you use the chemical fungicide? If it was within the past many weeks, the cornmeal may not work as an antifungal. Cornmeal works in conjunction with the beneficial fungal biology already in the soil. If you have applied a chemical fungicide, that wipes out the beneficial fungi for a period of time. If you have compost, that would replenish the beneficial fungi needed, and then the corn meal would wipe out the fungus permanently. I struggled for years, as you have described, before discovering and trying corn meal. It has worked for me for 16 years. One application should do it, but it does take a full 3 weeks.

    You already have an excellent 'before' picture. Please take 'after' pictures around the end of July for us to help convince those who will inevitably follow in your footsteps.

    bjb817 thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 8 years ago

    I honestly don't recall if I had the yard treated with fungicide this spring or not. I do recall doing it last fall. I'm guessing that's enough time to have passed to try the corn meal either way? I


    Do either of you know a good source for corn meal in the greater Austin area? I'm guessing a feed store?

  • 8 years ago

    I haven't used cornmeal since moving to Austin area in 2012. I saw no need for it since my supposedly 'Floratam' grass that came from my mother's in Houston seemed to be thriving since then, nearly taking entire yard after planting 4 or 5 plugs into Bermuda lawn that is now not getting enough sun. The difference is that I used more compost (Earth's finest Compost from Lowe's) to spread very thinly and apply Jobe's Organic lawn fertilizer that was inoculated with beneficial bacteria, Biozome, etc every summer. I went with hybrid program... Synthetic fertilizer in the spring (mid April to early May) then organic fertilizer in the summer not to encourage excessive growth to cut down watering then either organic or synthetic fertilizer in the fall depending on my mood. I noticed that this year, big box stores have a lot less organic fertilizers for some reason. I couldn't find Jobe's organic fertilizer the other day. Disappointing.

    bjb817 thanked lou_spicewood_tx
  • 8 years ago

    You should be good to go. Here is a link to your closest feed store. Call them first to get availability and price info. Some will have it all year long and some will never have it, ever. Price for 50 pounds should be under $12 and really should be under $10 ($5?) depending on how much corn we're selling to the Chinese.

    bjb817 thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 8 years ago

    Lowe's apparently just restocked Jobe's Organic Fertilizer. I got two bags today to put down before the rain comes. Give it a try and see how it works. I'd say to grab enough Earth Finest Compost to spread thinly over the lawn before the storm comes. Best time to do that.

  • 8 years ago

    So I finally spread my corn meal about two weeks ago. In that time, we've received a ton of rain. Do I need to re-apply or should I just wait and see? Brown patch hasn't showed up yet, but I have plenty of other strange fungi going on with all the rain.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting