Software
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

I did not like this recipe: Devil's Cream Cake

8 years ago

This is the third time I've tried posting a new thread. I guess I may have to choose another forum in addition to posting on cooking??? We'll see.


I tried a new recipe from the Baking in Vermont show on the Food Network. Cookie crust, chocolate layer, topping of whipped cream.

While there were mostly 5-star ratings for it on the Food Network website, I won't make it again.

I followed directions exactly, and used my tall 8" round pan.

The chocolate part of the finished product just had too much "gelatin-y" texture in it.

I tried tastes of this "cake" from frozen, and at room temperature, and chilled in the fridge. No bueno.

The crust was good (crushed Oreos and butter, what's not to like?!), and I always enjoy whipped cream on the top of things. Adding a crushed berries or a berry coulis would have been nice if I had some.

The chocolate "cake" part itself just wasn't creamy or smooth on my palate. It was not like jello, per se--more like jello's first cousin. Oh, and apparently I cannot post from my Kindle on this "new and improved" site.

Smiles,

Soon

Link: Devil's Cream Cake

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    sooz, it's frustrating when that happens.

    I agree with colleenoz regarding "trusting the tastes of unknown reviewers." Though the online reviews can sometimes be helpful, you never know their level of experience. You just have for to try it yourself. Many times all those 5-star reviews might be 2-3 at the most for me.

    I think Gesine Prado is a fairly good resource. Just doesn't mean a particular recipe from her is going to be to your liking.

    sooz thanked chloebud
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Someone mentioned that it was like a ganache so could it be the texture of the cake that you didn't care for? Personal taste for me is that I don't make anything with gelatin because of the texture that it creates.

    Now Oreos dipped in whipped cream - now there's a dessert. :)

    ETA - You have this posted twice on the cooking forum

    sooz thanked blfenton
  • 8 years ago

    Sheesh! I thought this *was* the Cooking forum!! Oh goodness, I do not like the way this new forum re-vamp works! Thanks for letting me know. I tried to delete the extra post, and that was a no go.

    Whoever reviewed this recipe and thought it was like a ganache has never tasted a decent ganache! I'm pretty good with ganache(s) and the chocolate part in this Devil's Cream Cake was nothing like a ganache!


  • 8 years ago

    I would have used half as much gelatin and added some egg yolks to the cream mixture (or to the milk) and cook that to 170° to make a custard. I also would have used chocolate crinkle cookies instead of Oreos - I never liked Oreo cookies, even as a child.

    sooz thanked Lars
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Oh, Lars, then it wouldn't have been the same recipe! Thanks for the suggestions, though, and as for me, I do like Oreos!

    Smiles!

  • 8 years ago

    I like Lars's version. :)

    So sorry about the cake, Sooz, but it happens. \ Some recipes are just dogs.

    Others assume you know some unusual regional thing, or have a particular ingredient. For instance, I only learned about the difference between cane and beet sugar here in the forum, since I'd always used cane.

    What was it about the recipe (besides the Oreos) that you particularly liked? Maybe we can find you a different recipe that'll be better.

    sooz thanked plllog
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for the offer of finding a different recipe that would be better! I don't mind experimenting as long as I have people who will eat the results if I'm not happy with the recipe.

    Actually, I like David Leibowicz's Chocolate Orbit "Cake" for dense rich deliciousness. If you haven't made it yet, it really is a show stopper. It was called Chocolate Idiot Cake (because any idiot can make it) but the name has changed to Chocolate Orbit Cake, to reflect the little craters on top.

    Chocolate Orbit Cake aka Chocolate Idiot Cake

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I love David Leibovitz's breads. Next time I have an occasion, I'll try to remember this cake!

    If you have trouble finding takers for experiments, look for teenage boys. They'll eat anything.

    BTW, I'm glad they changed the name. The Vanilla and Caramel idiots might get tweaked...

    sooz thanked plllog
  • 8 years ago

    LOL !!!

  • 8 years ago

    Aw, sooz. I've made things that get rave reviews, and I'm thinking -- is this just me? Maybe I just don't have, you know, a mature palate? HA! Or I hate it when I look at the star rating and then realize that it's just commenters giving five stars without actually making it!

    I made a kind of, sort of, version of your (appropos HA!) Idiot cake that Annie recommended on her raspberry cheesecake thread (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/52718/flourless-chocolate-cake-ii/) and I posted it on the what's for dinner thread. Did you follow that?:) I only used dark, semi-sweet chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs, a big pinch of cinnamon, springform. I agree -- winner. And I'll agree with plllog and teenage boys -- that's why pieces were snitched before celebration. My son is now eating the scraggle bits and ends on graham crackers:)))!

    CathyinSWPA


    sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • 8 years ago

    Cathy, you'll have to tell me if it's in the latest WFD thread... houzz is messing with me! A simple search with this format can make me dizzy!

    Today, I was reading some reviews for a popular recipe at the Epicurious website by way of an old Chowhound thread, and seriously, over 80% of the reviewers CHANGED THE RECIPE and reviewed *their* results.

    That's not reviewing the recipe to my way of thinking.

    I'd much more appreciate someone making the recipe as stated and posting a review, and then perhaps in their review, they can suggest that the next time they make it, they'll use this or that or adjust ingredients. The changes bore very little resemblance to the original recipe as written! (shaking my head)

  • 8 years ago

    i agree about the "new and improved" houzz sooz -- grrrr. It is on the WFD #361.

    "I'd much more appreciate someone making the recipe as stated and posting
    a review, and then perhaps in their review, they can suggest that the
    next time they make it, they'll use this or that or adjust ingredients.
    The changes bore very little resemblance to the original recipe as written! (shaking my head)"

    I so agree with this, but as I'm typing this response, I realize I'm guilty and I'll charge myself. HA! The one thing that I do kind of like with some of these
    sites is that they have started to delineate "I made it", "most helpful
    (positive or critical) review". That's what I looked at. Like this (my bold):

    "Very good recipe but I would skip the cocoa and use all chocolate bars.
    I've made this many times and find that using cocoa gave the cake a
    grittier, more brownie-like texture. So I now use 2 full bars of
    Ghiradelli Bittersweet Chocolate (8 oz. total) and skip the cocoa powder
    completely (ADD 8-10 min. cooking time). I still use the same amount of
    sugar. Using ALL chocolate bars gives this a silkier texutre not to
    mention a stronger chocolate flavor. 4 stars as written, 5+ stars for
    slight alteration. Serve with fresh sliced strawberries or raspberries
    and a dusting of powdered sugar for a dessert made for company."

    So between Annie's rec, my having extra chocolate and some of the positive/critical reviews I ended up close to Idiot Cake:) I agree with you though that it does takes a lot more research to find reliable information/or you're specifically looking for. CathyinSWPA


    sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks for the re-direct, Cathy! I found your cake photo easily!

    The kind of review example you posted is much more in line with what I would find very helpful, versus people just changing things up when they made the recipe for the first time, and that's that!

  • 8 years ago

    Sounds like a Dr Seuss novel ....

    I do not like devil's cream cake and ham ...

  • 8 years ago

    Bragu, I don't think anyone likes devil's cream cake and ham!

  • 8 years ago

    LOL!!!!

  • 8 years ago

    HA! I'm going to have that playing in mind all day:)

    CathyinSWPA

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!