Software
Houzz Logo Print
christineworksnj

Window dilemma

8 years ago

Hello all: My name is Christine and I renovate distressed homes and sell. I’m a flipper. I’m not your average house flipper though. I’m passion about design and decor and put my heart and sole into my projects. I stage my properties myself using furniture and accessories I have collected and continue to collect. My current reno is getting all new windows and I SO BADLY want to install the latest and greatest “black windows”. If you know and follow design you will feel me. The problem is I can’t find black replacement windows. All avenues have led me to custom only, in black. When your in my business custom is a curse word. Trust me, I’m not cheap & flip by no means, but custom is always double the price. So, my question is, who can help.. The project is in Northern NJ, I know that plays a Factor in availability. I got a quote for 6500 for 15 simonton replacements. 4 of those were small basement windows. Does anyone out there have info for me. I would be eternally grateful. Warmly, Christine. Flip with design.

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    First off, $6500 for 15 windows is ridiculously cheap, especially with a colored exterior ( black). Adding a colored exterior adds quite a bit per window.

    its a bit odd that you call yourself a professional flipper and dont have basic knowledge of window pricing. RED FLAG !!!!!

    Second, Simonton is far from the “ latest and greatest” in terms of efficiency and air tightness, not to mention looks. The top higher end replacement windows would be Okna, Soft Lite, and Sunrise. Any window pro worth his salt would probably concede to that.

    im assuming you need window company to both supply and install?

  • 8 years ago

    Add in the fact that you are in Northern New Jersey and that may be borderline crazy low even for a mediocre window.

  • 8 years ago

    I think “Window 1” miss understood me. I re-read my post, I never said I was a professional flipper. I’m actually new at this. My current project is my 4th flip. That’s why I posted my question, hoping to get some good advice from some nice people who are more experienced in windows than me.., In addition, I know my current quote of 6500 is real good. It’s actually 11 double hung and 4 small basement windows in white vinyl simontons. I also never said that Simintons were the latest & greatest, I said I really wanted to do a black window which currently is the latest and greatest in design.. So, my question is, does anyone know of a company that offers black in replacement windows.and are reasonable for someone who flips homes

  • 8 years ago

    Window1, I absolutely love what I do and have made 3 young families very happy with purchasing one of my projects. Every project I learn something new and I make sure things are done the correct way. I’m not sure why you capitalized “ Red Flag”. Red Flag for what? Did I do something or say something wrong? I’m just looking for black windows. Lol.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Its an even bigger Red Flag. I also find what you say very hard to believe.

    you flip homes and have no idea what windows cost????? Plus, you claim you cant find windows with a black ext??? Yeah, you sound like a true pro...

    seriously, im sure your are a nice girl ( i guess ). i just think far too many people lose touch with reality watching HGTV and get addicted to chasing a dragon that doesnt exist in the real world.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I for one give you credit, most flippers would throw in some Jeld-Wens from Menards and install themselves. The price might be inline if they are doing a pocket window install with no exterior aluminum capping. Did you want a window that is black in the interior and black exterior. Restoring the originals has its place but so do new windows. Expect to pay a minimum of $100 per window to have the exterior side only on a vinyl, if you want a black interior you will have to to a wood window or composite, with the exception of one company that I know that offers a black in and out vinyl. The Simonton often has better performance numbers than these options. The vinyl windows that Window 1 mentioned will be nicer options ( I would not recommend the Sunrise double hungs ) but often command premium price tags dues to the exclusetivity. The wood and composites will be priced higher as well.

  • 8 years ago

    This is the very first time I posted a question on houzz.com. I couldn’t wait to see who would respond and offer advice. I never thought I would be put down and accused of selling homes of bad quality & material from people who never met me. It’s hurtful & an example of the world today. I actually had Simonton windows in my own home and they were great. I have been thanked over and over by the neighbors of these properties for bringing the homes back to their formal glory. These homes were an eye sore and down right dangerous. When I finish they’re beautiful and safe. If I can save the window I do. I scraped, cleaned & painted the wood windows in my last project & they were great. Thank you TODINMN. I appreciate your advice. And SOPHIE MILLER, I never do junk. I love classic design and salvage as much as I can. I’m not afraid of hard labor & sweat. No reason to be nasty to someone u never met. And Mr. WINDOW 1, you should get to know people b4 you judge. I’m not a pro nor am I an expert but I’m a smart ambitious woman who works hard everyday and if I don’t know the answer I ask. Please dont answer questions people post if you can’t be nice. Kindness is a circle business, that’s the way I choose to live and it comes back to me and my family full circle everyday. So all u mean people can take a hike.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have far less experience with windows than you, but are you sure that none of the windows can be salvaged? If they are old wood windows, they were probably built to be repaired, and if you can strip them (using lead-safe practices if they have lead paint) and repair them yourself, it may be cheaper and lead to a more beautiful result.

    ETA: The previous owners of my current home left the original windows on part of the front, and they add so much to the appearance even though they don't match the others. Also, good luck with your flip!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    There are always a few....We can always ignore them, but let’s get on with your project., times awasting. Black in and out? You’d have to look at Marvin Interity Ultrex or Andersen 100 series, maybe Kolbe. Profit margin wise you may want to stick with an all white vinyl and go with black trim perhaps? Keep in mind lead times for black exterior on vinyls can run 6 weeks or more.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    +1 to the above choices. When it comes to black on both sides, there isn't a really good vinyl option that is prefinished like that. Are you going for a modern'ish look? If so, the all ultrex that todd mentioned or the Andersen 100 will probably give you that. If you are cutting your teeth at remodeling, you might want to check out the restoration route as well. There are countless blogs and videos on that type of stuff. If the wood is good and it is of some historic value, you can probably get them to a workable condition.

  • 8 years ago

    Now that’s more like it. Friendly people with the same interests. I’m gonna take another good look at the windows for salvage purposes. I agree with u momonhemeter. I love the old restored look. This house was in pretty bad shape and sat vacant for 3 years. The previous owner never let her dog out to do his business. You can imagine the smell. TODDINMN, I would love black in and out but I would settle for just in if need be. I believe my best bet for value purposes would be the simontons. And they are a good window. I thank you both for your input. I love meeting new people and learning something from them. BTW, for those who “raised a red flag” after I sell each house I take money from my profit, if there is any, still learning, and give it to a person who I think deserves a little break. I have a list of random people, one works in quick check another in a cafe I go to and another in a produce store, u get the picture. I tell them that I was given a gift, and I’m sharing it. I absolutely love giving and I’m so very bad with receiving. Kindness is a circle business. It always comes back to me. Any more fun flip advice, I’ll take it.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Christine

    PGT will begin offering black as an exterior color option in July in their PVC line. It will be a cap stock as opposed to a painted surface.

    Their windows are not inexpensive but may be less than some of the other products on the market available in black


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Very unlikely you will find a vinyl window with a black interior , you would have to go with a wood or composite window for that. Rehabbing has s a viable option, I’d try just one first , most people underestimate the time or money it takes to go this route, not to mention the cost of good storm window . Rehabbing can be a much higher risk to lead exposure and contamination due the amount of dust and debri It generates not to mention advisor is typically in the glazing. They is assuming you’re Windows have lead paint of course. Don’t be afraid to keep a little money for yourself.

  • 8 years ago

    Many here HATE flippers, don't let the nasty comments bother you. Others here know flippers can do a nice job and make the buyer and neighbors happy. You don't need to defend your work.

    I don't have information on black windows, yes they are popular, I also don't know the companies you mentioned. I would carefully look at your present windows and consider non black. Without seeing the windows or your house, can't know what your best option is, keep working on it the answer will come. Happy flipping.


  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all. I didn’t realize this site had house flipper haters... You can’t go thru life placing everyone under one umbrella. It’s the same scenario as stating I hate all contractors. That’s crazy! There’s Good & bad in every industry. Thank you all for your wonderful idea’s. Good luck to everyone with all your persuits.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Another flipper hater!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I didn't see that much "hate" here as much as it was reflective of what a bunch of us, as contractors, see on the daily. Keep in mind that many of our opinions are defined by our experiences and while you are probably doing the right thing and being a good flipper...the vast, vast, vast majority of what we see are things that we have to fix or walk away from because they have been done so poorly. Its all about perspective.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm a Realtor, not in your area, and I see many poorly executed flips. Sometimes, the flipper does the right thing and fixes the systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, roof etc) of the house. But it is very rare to see the right thing on these homes. What I typically see are homes where the flipper has just done cosmetic work for show and left the systems untouched even if they aren't working or beyond their useful life.

    It is refreshing to see a new flipper ask questions about important areas of the house like windows. I would rather see a home with better bones and fewer cosmetic changes, but I know the cosmetic change is what sells.

    I don't know enough about windows in your area. In my area of S FL windows are important due to our hurricane codes. Please reconsider the black exterior frames if they are out of your budget. I don't think black interior frames are a selling feature for most consumers but we don't have enough information about your specific home in NJ.

    BTW, don't take offense at Sophie. She tells it like it is without sugar coating for anyone.

  • 8 years ago

    Sofia seems like one of a kind. I have a hard time with people who have a hurtful delivery. She immediately judged me and knows absolutely nothing about me. Now I’m painting myself as mother Theresa. Geeez! DENITA, I’ve been in many horrible flips. Lipstick on a pig kinda flip. Not my style. My current project is getting all new electrical te-wire along with all new duck work for the HZvAC. This is money the buyer doesn’t see. I could easily overlook it but that’s not the way I flip. Thanks for your advice. I love meeting new people and taking in their thoughts. Sophia, get to know my work first. All you describe that you hate is not the way I run my business. I’m not your average flipper.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Sounds interesting, but I did not see an option for painted interiors on your website.