Software
Houzz Logo Print
janahyde

Cleaning Flor tiles

8 years ago
I have Flor tiles I thought would be the answer to pet urine issues. These tiles seem to absorb and hold the odor. If the urine gets between the cracks, the backing smells, too. We’ve tried many ways to clean them but they still smell. How do you clean pet urine from your Flor tiles?

Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    Do you mean the CARPET tiles by Flor???

  • 8 years ago

    Sorry, I don't have a fix for this situation with tiles, be they floor tiles, Flor tiles, or carpet tiles. However, I recommend that you remove them and replace with sheet vinyl. I really don't know of any other flooring material that's suitable when you have incontinent pet problems.

  • 8 years ago
    SJ, yes, exactly. I should have been more precise with my wording. Thank you for helping to clarify the conversation.
  • 8 years ago
    DavidR, I agree that sheet vinyl may be the only sure solution. The neighbors downstairs, however, would prefer we have a rug of some sort. Our plank vinyl works really well (and looks great) for liquids, but we do need to soften the sound a bit.
  • 8 years ago

    So you are looking for a "eat your cake and save it to"solution? There isn't one.

  • 8 years ago

    There's nothing to be done for carpet. Whether it is wall-to-wall or area rugs or Flor Carpet tiles. All of them GRAB moisture (urine) and hold on to it until it evaporates. If that moisture has an odour, then the odour remains. That's what carpet does.

    A sheet product (such as vinyl or lino) is your BEST option for incontinent pets. Porcelain tile also works well, but you have to get a grout that doesn't stain/require sealing.

    These are really the only two types of floors that work with leaky animals/humans.

  • 8 years ago

    You need to treat carpet squares the same way you deal with urine on regular carpet. Soak it with an enzyme product such as Nature's Miracle. Soak them - don't just spray it on. There are other enzyme products that are reported to be better, but I just stick with this.

  • 8 years ago
    Graywings123, thanks for sharing your solution. I have had success with Nature’s Miracle on regular carpet. After the Nature’s Miracle dries, do you have a way to get rid of the leftover perfume smell of the product?
  • 8 years ago

    The problem with the liquid deodorizers is that they don't help much once the urine soaks past the carpeting. It quickly reaches the underlayment and subfloor. I have seen cases where the floor joists were soaked.

    Don't fool yourself. If you have incontinent pets, you can't have carpet or finished floors, full stop, end of story. Your only rational flooring choice is seamless sheet vinyl.

    Even then, you can get urine soaking at the baseboards and walls. In one of my rental units, where the tenant kept a large dog without authorization, I had to have an entire urine damaged wall torn out and completely rebuilt (studs and all).

    If you love pets and choose to live with them, and I do, sometimes you have to give up certain other elements of your lifestyle. Much trendy home decor falls into this category.

  • 8 years ago

    Sorry, I have never had an issue with a leftover scent after using Nature's Miracle. Some people are less sensitive to odor than others.

  • 8 years ago

    You
    can pour hydrogen peroxide over the urine stain and cover it with a
    clean cloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide. Keep it as it is for at
    least 8 hours. This will eliminate the stain as well as urine odor.

  • 8 years ago

    I would google "hydrogen peroxide on rug" before trying it. Just say'in.