dick_in_ohio

Polys in Fairfield County

dick_in_ohio

We have seen a lot of polys this year - many that do not regularly (except Bees Betty Sue). I tend to cause it by so much rain, but that may not make sense.

Two polys on Anthrazoid Culture

Bees Betty Sue

Velvet Web

And just for fun - Monarch Butterfly on Milkweed - just today (6/23/18)

• dick_in_ohio

Matthew Kaskel

• mantis__oh

I like the clear pink color of Bee's Bettie Sue. Is Matthew Kaskel blooming in the mid-30s in this shorter-scape year? Certainly can see in it the parent of Wyoming Wildfire, though with a much larger flower and swirling intensity.

• dick_in_ohio

This is the first season for Matthew Kaskel. It is blooming around its registered height, 37".

• dbarron

Btw, daylilies are not native plants to Ohio...just so you know (cross posted to Native Plants)

dick_in_ohio thanked dbarron
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

I showed your picture of Anthrazoid Culture to a visiting non daylily friend and his expression was priceless. That is one strange dude man-lol.....I like Bees BettySue. It looks like it has great substance and texture to the petals. And I've always liked Mathew Kaskel. Great color and nice form.........Maryl

dick_in_ohio thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Nancy 6b

Nifty looking. I don't think I have seen Matthew Kaskel before this season, very eye catching

I walk just thinking this morning that I have not seen butterflies this year.

• signet_gw(6b)

Odd Bee's Betty Sue is one of the parent's use to Create Michael's Sword but isn't showing any "bearding" itself .I just added Bee's Betty Sue to my garden David so would love it if you could post other images of yours as the season moves along . I would be very interested to see if it displays any bearding which is what I bought the plant for .

• Brad KY 6b

These are so cool...

dick_in_ohio thanked Brad KY 6b
  • dick_in_ohio

Mantis-oh - we are having a tall scape here. Matthew Kaskel is a first year bloomer and is certainly blooming on tall scapes.

• dick_in_ohio

Signet-gw - I will keep an eye out. Some years bearding - some years none. Does gw stand for garden writer? My wife, Pat, is a garden writer.

• dick_in_ohio

Nancy - first Monarch this year. I saw a few Red Admirals a couple of weeks ago.

• dick_in_ohio

Maryl: Probably about the same expression as the guy who saw Pat walking out of the hardware store carrying a chain saw.

• Jay 6a Chicago

debarron. I don't think daylillies are native anywhere on this continent, right? They are pretty, but of absolutely of no benefit to wildlife, unless you're earwigs,( non native insects) needing a motel. The world would be a much nicer place if everyone ditched their daylillies and planted native nectar and host plants instead.Here I go on my daylilly and hosta rant again. What can I say. Everyone likes them because you can neglect them for years, and they still look good. They are alien plants and they don't belong here. Maybe I should show off my beautiful natives on the daylilly forum. :)

• avedon_gw

Very nice, Dick, and when I saw Anthrazoid Culture, I asked myself is that a Hanson, since he does those "different" DL names. Nope,the honor goes to Clement. Bees Betty Sue is a pretty pink. Matthew Kaskel is a looker, too.

• dick_in_ohio

We also have a lot of native plants, many that are beneficial to wild life. We have taken measures to protect the creek that flows through our property. We use little insecticides. We grow a lot of plants for our neighbor's honey bees. And yes, we grow daylilies, which require little care and provide beauty to our lives.

• dbarron

That's true dick_in_ohio, ditchlilies are survivors. I think they're also edible aren't they ? at least the flowers are for sure.

I can't partake, because even if daylily pollen gets on my skin, it breaks out instantly. I'm apparently allergic.

• dick_in_ohio

I have not heard of that allergy before, but there are a lot of pollen allergies.

• signet_gw(6b)

Jay 6a Chicago Would just like to comment on your "get rid of alien daylilies" comment , and refer you this page . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3580041/

You might learn some valuable"stuff" about daylilies that you may not have known before . There is more to the hemerocallis than meets the eye .

I also don't understand why people such as yourself feel it necessary to dis others who have an interest in something you don't . I doubt that anyone here would seek you out on the Natives forum to dis you . Just try to be nice .

If a post arrived on YOUR forum ......I guarantee you it was not intentional .

dick_in_ohio thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • Brad KY 6b

Jay, the posting of daylilies as been crazy; if something appeared in your precious natives forum, it is Houzz's fault. We've complained over and over for weeks for a solution. Also: don't be so obsessed with your own world that you despise other points of view. The whole native thing is overblown. The world was given to us by God to enjoy, and if we enjoy non-native plants, then that's ok. At one time, if science theories are correct, the whole world was one large continent [look at the shapes of the continents]. That theory makes everything native.

End of rant, back to our enjoyable forum.

dick_in_ohio thanked Brad KY 6b
  • dbarron

Hey guys, chill, I was just pointing it out. I have noticed that Houzz tends to try to "help" now when posting with suggestions to cross post (which may not be very accurate). I figured it would help to point it out and hopefully on the next post, you can edit the suggestions to avoid this. Obviously cross posting to natives is probably not appropriate.

I don't grow daylilies (I have in the past), but I don't hate them. I mostly prefer things with either longer blooming cycle or at least flowers that last longer than one day at a time.

They're not like japanese honeysuckle or privet (or not in my area) taking over the entire woodlands, etc.

• dick_in_ohio

Daylily flowers are edible. The flower buds are used in Chinese cooking, for example hot and sour soup. Yum.

• Jay 6a Chicago

No apologies, no regrets. Either I convert more people to growing native, or this planet will continue on it's fast downward spiral. You are either helping or hurting, and all you daylilly and hosta obsessives, "connoisseurs" (I'm rolling my eyes) are hurting. If one was growing daylillies for the edible buds I don't think they would be paying 40 + bucks a pop to get all the latest and greatest " polys" to roll off the block. Plain old fashioned orange would suffice. It' the fricking native plants forum, and the coversations on here are most enjoyable when we are discussing natives. Maybe you sent this here by accident, or maybe the people on the daylilly forum aren't enough to satisfy your ego, but whatever the case, please don't post here again, unless you have a native plant to discuss. My brother in law is a hosta and daylilly "connoisseur". I think he cared more about his hostas and daylillies, than he cared for my late sister.

• signet_gw(6b)

Whoh ! I am compelled to respond. . Kindly note the person whose post accidentally went to your forum is a gentleman and has tried to be kind in his responses..

I am seriously gobsmacked . Jay you are quite the piece of work ! Do you own the Natives Forum ?. Why were we not informed of your purchase of it ?

I might have considered checking out the Natives forum as I do grow a lot of them myself along with my daylilies .. but thanks for the heads up on the kind of person you are.....you can bet there isn't a chance in Hades now . Think I will just stick with the nice folks here . Or maybe I will just make sure all my posts go to the Natives forum just to stir the pot.

While you are questioning other's egos you might want to take a look at your own . Can you say "I am the only one who knows anything and I am so full of myself I can afford to be rude " . I have always felt badly for people like you who are so wonderful and know it has to be frustrating to deal with people not as wonderful as you.

dick_in_ohio thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • dick_in_ohio

I received an apology. End of story. Thank you signet_gw for your support.

• dick_in_ohio

Seattle Dreaming blooming poly - messy flower - must have opened early this morning. Other flowers have been very nice - no spotting.

• signet_gw(6b)

Wow Dick_in_Ohio , you are really getting a lot of polys , Is this normal in your gardens ? I wonder what the underlying cause is ? I am going to be watching my gardens closely to see if the same thing happens here. Our weather is not so very different so if it is weather realated I should see some of the same .

• dick_in_ohio

Pat and I talked about this - no conclusion on why. If you read the latest Daylily Journal article on polys it seems to be genetic but...

• sam_md

I just logged onto the natives forum and see a thread about ditch lilies????? What's up with that? That's like arriving at a bar mitzvah with a giant platter of pork chops LOL.

Well informed people like me know H. fulva rank right up there with garlic mustard, j. knotweed and nodding thistle as introduced weeds. They spread along water courses vegetatively making giant, solid mats. We are not supposed to spray with herbicide because they're near the water.

I don't post on the daylily forum, didn't even know there was such a thing. Houzz needs to get their act together, ditch lilies are abhorrent to me.

• signet_gw(6b)

Sam_md , Post was not intentional . You people on the Native forum need to realize there are others out there with different interests . I don't go on your forum riding you about poison ivy ( its a native you know )

And to clarify . the post was not actually about ditch lilies . Had you read it thoroughly you would note it was a fellow Native Plants member who brought them up .

Let it go Louie , let it go . The post was in error . OMG ! Do well informed people like you know that they are choosing "ditchlilies" for studies on the medical applications that Fulva can be used for?

"The genus has been considered to have exceptional medicinal value in its natural range (Mlček and Rop 2011). Traditionally, Hemerocallis has been used to treat sleep disorders and to alter mood; in Japan and China it is known as ‘forget one's sorrow plant’. These purported qualities have been scientifically tested and there is positive evidence for crude plant extracts to alter sleeping patterns (Uezu 1998) and alleviate depression (Gu et al. 2012; Yi et al. 2012) in animal models. The leaves have also been used to treat jaundice and inflammation, and Zhang et al.(2004) have shown that the leaves contain several compounds, such as roseoside, which strongly inhibit lipid peroxidation. The traditional use of Hemerocallisagainst schistosome infection has been supported by Cichewicz et al. (2002), where several compounds from roots, including novel kwanzoquinones, were found to be active against Schistosoma parasites. Anti-proliferative effects and cytotoxicity to cancer cells were also reported for several known and novel anthraquinones isolated from roots (Cichewicz et al. 2004)." Not just a pretty "invasive" face.

• dick_in_ohio

Can we just let go of this?

• signet_gw(6b)

I really wish they would dick_in_Ohio

• Brad KY 6b

I just submitted a formal complaint yet again to Houzz requesting:

1. To submit a post to the daylily forum and let us know what they are doing about the posting problem.

2. To report the war the posting problems started and the rudeness of the natives on the native forum. I sent a link to this set of posts.

dick_in_ohio thanked Brad KY 6b