Software
Houzz Logo Print
hhuang2620

Which light fixture should I go with?

8 years ago

I am replacing my kitchen table light fixture because it is broken and is a little small given I recently upsized my table.


I have decided to go with the Modern Forms Chaos light fixture but it comes in 34" round or 72" linear styles. Given my table is rectangular and quite big at 90" long, my preference is to go with the linear. However, the linear is 72" long...I am not sure if it will be too big for the table and the setting given the table is part of a great room in a nook. The round one at 34" is bigger than my existing 24" fixture already.


- my table is 40"x90"

- ceiling height is 12.5ft


I have included photos of both light fixtures I am contemplating along with pictures of my current table and light fixture and room for reference.


Any opinions or advice are welcome.









Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Jan. My table does have a leaf but it increases the size from 90 to 120.


    So you dont think 72 inch linear is too big for a 90 inch table? I plan on hanging whichever light fixture I go with around 40 inches from table top to bottom of fixture given my ceiling height is 12.5ft high.


  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think fine in this instance. I think the table was a mistake : ) What exactly is the point of 120 inches in that locale? How do you open the fridge doors..or am I seeing things with a second island??

    hhuang2620 thanked JAN MOYER
  • 8 years ago

    I originally had a glass 60" table...way too small. This is our main table for every day use. I wanted something for substantial there and 90" works perfectly and actually looks perfect there if you see it in person. We never extend out to 120".


    I have a formal dining room that has a 108" table that we never use...partially because it has white fabric seats and i have 3 young children.


    pictures of my dining room for

    reference.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Love to see a rug in that dining room : )

  • 8 years ago

    yes working on it as well.


  • 8 years ago

    The size of the light fixture should ideally be from 45" to 67" and hang approximately 42-46" above the table, according to design rules. So if you go by design rules neither fixture works. Or you can break the rules by going with something longer. I'm typically a less is more type gal, but in covering 2/3 or 3/4 of space I prefer to cover more rather than less. So I guess if these are you're only two options I would go for the linear 72" fixture.

  • 8 years ago

    Your house is decorated very well! If you decorated it yourself thus far, I don't see why you would't make the correct choice on the fixture. Best of luck:)

  • 8 years ago
    By just looks I would rather get the linear. The only thing making me reconsider is that per design standards most websites say that with rectangular tables the ideal size limit is 12” smaller on each end which would mean 66” for a 90” table. The linear is 72” so slightly bigger than recommended. I figure with tall ceilings I can install 40-46” above the table which would provide some clearance so people sitting at the end of the table won’t bang their heads.

    I was all set to go this route until the lighting sales lady at the store said normally she would agree with me but since my table is not in a middle of a room and rather near the wall she was afraid the fixture may appear too big.

    That’s why I am seeking other opinions.

    Thanks for the kind words on my house decor.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Get a few white helium balloons and set the ribbons on the table with the balloons filling in above where the fixture would be. It will give you a visual for the size - live with it for a while to see if you like how the large one looks/lives in your home.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Can't tell in photo.....have you considered the linear for dining room and a switch of dining light to kitchen ?

    cant blow the photo up on my phone

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio