Software
Houzz Logo Print
mettebee_copenhagen8b

Which old, red climber?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am hoping to get all of you lovely people's help with identifying this rose from my garden.


It grows right next to a self sown tree, and has a massive 1 foot wide trunk that must have been cut down many times. When we moved in three years ago we also cut down the rose that had climbed into the tree and almost strangled some branches. Cutting it down was also due to the massive thorns on the thick branches and we worried about our baby getting too close.

The rose continued to make shoots from the old trunk and last year I let two of them grow tall. In one summer they grew more than 2 m (8 feet). This year are starting to bloom in late June and are quite pretty. I think it is a once bloomer. The flowers are about 2 inches across and have no scent. The stamens look red or pink. The petals are a cool red, maybmaybe cherry red, but not pink or magenta.

Our house is from 1894, so the rose could be from any time. I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Comments (9)

  • 8 years ago

    More photos

  • 8 years ago

    It probably will be Blaze. Blaze was a common as New Dawn, as a climber . When there are only a few climbers, people didn't have much of a choice back then.

    MetteBee_Copenhagen8b thanked oldrosarian
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you both, I think Blaze is a good bet for this. The colour is actually a really lovely red, almost like Japanese quince. It is available from the place I got my bare root roses from last year. I am in Copenhagen, Denmark where New Dawn is still seen a lot in older gardens, and still highly recommended.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I agree with Old Rosarian and Jeri. My grandfather grew Blaze in its early days on the market. When I move into a house built in 1932, the year Blaze was introduced, I grew it on my wrought iron fence to honor both my grandfather and my period house. Your rose looks very much like the one I grew. Its vigor matches my rose, too. :-)

    Funny that you should mention the color of Japanese quince, because I also likened the color of Blaze's blooms to red Chaenomeles. I'm not a big fan of orange-toned reds, but I have always felt that Blaze belongs more in the category of slightly blue-toned China reds. I used to display Blaze's blooms in a blue and white Chinese vase and enjoyd the effect so much that I actually planted a red quince and a Camellia sasanqua Yuletide so that I could display their blooms in the vase during Blaze's off season.

    Congratulations on your found and inherited rose! I'm happy to hear that Blaze thrives in Sweden. I had no idea that it's that hardy. I just did some HMF research and discovered that northern forum member Seil (Michigan/zone 6) also grows it. Carol

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for your story, Portlandmysteryrose. It is a lovely rose, and I hope it will survive despite having been cut down so many times. My zone here in Denmark is 8b even though we are on the 55th parallel. This is because of the moderating effect of the Gulf Stream. Or summers are usually cool (in the low 20s C) and our winters have few days below freezing. This spring/summer has been unusual with temperatures in the high 20s in May an June. This rose came through repeat freeze-thaw this March with very little damage. It's a tough one!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    MetteBee, thank you for the polite correction! Major typo. Denmark not Sweden. I had just posted to Mariannese and had Sweden in my brain, or rather what's left of my brain these days. :-)

    I googled a map of Denmark. I didn't realize that you are just across the North Sea from Edinburgh. I also never realized that the climate in Copenhagen is so moderate. I should pay more attention to the info that forum members supply next to their forum names. Ha, ha! Your zone CLEARLY says 8b! It sounds like your climate is similar to both Edinburgh and mine in Portland. I traveled to Edinburgh a number of years ago but never made it to Denmark. I would have liked to. If limited time and several commitments hadn't kept me away, I would have crossed the sea and continued traveling into Denmark and Germany and beyond into France. My great grandparents came from the Alsace-Lorraine area.

    I'm so glad your rose survived the spring thaws and freezes! We all seem to be experiencing interesting weather patterns these days. I suspect your Blaze (?) will power through its "hard pruning," and with care it will grow into an elegant climber with cascades of all summer quince-colored blooms. I'd love to see more photos! Even though Blaze used to be a common climber in the US, I don't see it much anymore. I used to spot one here in there when visiting Dallas, Texas, but I'm afraid that Rose Rosette has take down many of the remaining Blazes in that region.

    If you have room in Denmark for American escapees, please DO let me know! Have roses. Will travel. It looks like both my wardrobe and my plants will perfectly match Copenhagen's zone! :-) Carol

  • 8 years ago

    We hope to move to a larger house in my hometown this year (I'm expecting child number two and it just makes more sense). My point is that apart from more room for roses I'll have plenty of room for visitors :-) I'd be happy to show you around for instance Egeskov castle. I don't know about the refugee status for Americans, but I don't think you'll be granted asylum yet. Give it time though ;-)

  • 8 years ago

    Ha, ha! Congratulations on your upcoming addition to the family! I hope your move goes smoothly and you can settle right down to parenting x 2 and planning your new garden. I promise not to show up at your door unannounced, even for asylum. :-) Carol