Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lattemomof3

Yes or no on the blue door?

lattemomof3
10 years ago
We just painted over our burgundy door, but something is feeling a bit off. It may be too dramatic/colorful for us. What color would you paint our door?

Comments (35)

• victoria4831
    10 years ago
    I think it's lovely and might just take some getting used to. If you'd like to go darker, BM's Hale Navy is a great color for a door.
  • PRO
    Amy Wax
    10 years ago
    I don't mind the door color at all. I would suggest painting the side lights the trim color. The front door is a good color choice, but I would have it be just the door. I would also suggest large planters that have some of the blue in there, makes a huge difference.
  • Heather Blake Krumnow
    10 years ago
    I love this door color!
  • PRO
    Dazzle Zazz
    10 years ago
    Yes, I like it too. Add some blue to the outside accesories like planters, pots or seat cushions if you have a bench, etc, and make sure to plant some blue flowering hydrangeas if you live in a zone that they grow in. Using blue slate or bluestone accents can also pick up this particular blue shade.
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    From the pic it looks really dull. It looks dated. What's your style inside and main colors?
  • tdione
    10 years ago
    I like a dark brown in the color of a door.
  • amyfamyf
    10 years ago
    I love the color with the brick. Great choice. I also like the sides blue. I think it makes the door and entry look wider than having the sides white. I'd keep it just the way it is with some added pots like suggested.
  • giniaginia
    10 years ago
    Is that you're choice for the doormat? Its cute. I'm getting a sense of you're personality? I'm thinking a more vibrant color.
  • carmenjwilke
    10 years ago
    What color should I paint front door? Also, the is metal roofing over 2 dormers and sun porch that is rusty. Should I paint it a grey color that looks like metal or some other color?
  • Renee
    10 years ago
    LOVE It! What a great color. You need a larger door mat and coordinating pots of flowers or a bench to the side (under the window? - cant see how large that area is).
  • carmenjwilke
    10 years ago
    Love the blue door!
  • Kari Palomo
    10 years ago
    I also like it. Navy would be fab too!
  • Lynne
    10 years ago
    I love it!! I'm actually a blue freak for some reason!! It looks great!!
  • carmenjwilke
    10 years ago
    I saw that after I did it, but I don't know how to delete it.
  • wisneb
    10 years ago
    I like the color a lot, but prefer the sidelights area the cream shade.
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love the blue door! Replace your front mat with a black mat. Replace your planters with a large black urn with lavender, blue, and pink flowers. It will bring all the colors together.
  • yonube
    10 years ago
    The color of the door is great. The trim is too light. I would paint the trim the same color of the door.
  • jennifersue21
    10 years ago
    I wish I could see more of the house. I like the color of the door a lot. The trim color does break it up a little though. Maybe darker trim ??
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi LatteMomof3, your current blue color looks nice. :)
  • Elizabeth Smith
    10 years ago
    Love the door!! It matches the character of your house! I would do the trim around the door a different color, to sharpen it. Maybe black, or red that matches the brick
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Love the door, love the sidelights. Wouldn't replace the mat, but would add larger planter(s) with colourful flowers. Beautiful!
  • janet777
    10 years ago
    The door colour works well but I agree with others that you need a more generous door mat and some big planters with potted colour to make it feel more welcoming. Do you plan on tiling the verandah at this stage? Keep working on it, you will get there.
  • Don Gillespie
    10 years ago
    Door color scheme seems to be competing with the brick wall at right. I would stay with natural earth tones suck as brown, natural wood, terra cotta, or even a wheat colored yellow?
  • Don Gillespie
    10 years ago
    Might also help to paint or stain the concrete slab.
  • lattemomof3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas!! I will get 2 large bronze pots to set in front of the sidelights, and a bigger rug & see how that looks. We may paint the trim in a darker brown shade? It's hard to tell in the pic, but the door handle is an oil rubbed bronze instead of black. I do have an oil rubbed bronze bench & toss pillows in turquoise & dark orange coming to put by the window.
  • lattemomof3
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Still contemplating whether to paint the side lights the same color as the trim.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I vote NO to painting the side lights same colour as trim. I like them the same colour as the door. The entry appears wider that way.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I am a blue freak, but I don't care for it. As previously mentioned, the sidelights should be the same color as the trim. Your brick and trim are both soft colors and the blue is garish. I don't understand why so many people want their front doors to scream; let your mat do the talking and keep the door a softer color.
  • radianyce
    10 years ago
    Like it but check fung shui
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you're feel you have to check fung shui before you choose a color, make sure to hang some wolfsbane to keep the werewolves away also...
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love the Strictly Simple door color from housaon's group with the brick…just a little softer/grayer than your front door.

Looked up the info on that door and it is not blue at all. It is SW andiron. 6174 And it does look good with brick.
    The Brookview · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I think the blue door is the focus of your attention since it looks like that is the only place painted blue. Try something like for your plants or even using blue patterned accessories on any patio furniture.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I think what is "off" is the run of siding to the left of the door. How much of the house is covered in that? If just a small section there in front, maybe we should see a wider shot and try to adjust that color to enhance the door.
  • And
    8 years ago

YES