Software
Houzz Logo Print
dcoste

Help with Island Color !!!!!

8 years ago


Doing a kitchen in Ultra Kraft Arctic White - Going back and forth between doing the island in Coastal Grey or Network Grey . Floors will be a mid tone hardwood and countertop will be a Cambria Calcutta quartz ....Can I have some feedback ?? Much appreciated



Comments (30)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I'm over the 'gray movement'. I like the look of the wood grain using the coastal gray stain, it's warm and welcoming.

    It really depends on the style of your kitchen, and your style preference.

    dcoste thanked Barnes Custom Builders
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Although I'd like to see adjoining rooms. And your exact floor....

    My preference between your samples is: Coastal Gray.

    The Network Gray looks to me like it risks being more of a trendy gray, where white, gray and lemon yellow or turquoise are the color scheme

    dcoste thanked My House
  • 8 years ago

    Coastal Gray would be my choice. Can you post a picture of the floors?

    dcoste thanked houssaon
  • 8 years ago

    Coastal Gray has my vote...it will pop better than the network gray.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    None of the above. A natural wood stain. Not an unnatural one.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Neither of those. Gray so over. Why do you want a gray island? Tell the truth. Is it because you love gray paint cabinets, or is it because you saw it in a magazine or TV show and drank the marketing KoolAid?

  • 8 years ago

    @houssaon I did not pick floors yet but thank you


  • 8 years ago

    @friedajune you know nothing about me - my house burnt to the ground a year ago in a fire, so no I did not drink the kool aid - maybe you should find something better to do then write hate mail on Houzz

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    "friedajune

    Neither of those. Gray so over. Why do you want a gray island? Tell the truth. Is it because you love gray paint cabinets, or is it because you saw it in a magazine or TV show and drank the marketing KoolAid?"

    Just wow. There are lots of us out there that have always loved gray, and don't give a rat's pattooty about "trends". That was just plain RUDE.

    dcoste thanked Chessie
  • 8 years ago

    dcoste, Sorry you got such an unhelpful response.


    Personally I love grays and always have. I like the Network Grey, I think it is a better neutral, if that is what you are going for. The other one looks too "mushroomy" to me. I would take a sample of the door colors and put them up next to the quartz sample - that is really the best way to judge.

    dcoste thanked Chessie
  • 8 years ago
    Love the coastal grey!
    dcoste thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    Hmmm I will through a spanner in the works and go for more the mineral greys, the darker the better, may not compete with your floors as much. Worth a try, hard to tell. They all look lovely
    dcoste thanked Irene Morresey
  • 8 years ago

    put all your samples together and see what u like.... floor, counter, arctic white cab, wall paint.. then pick your gray for island.

    if u love gray, then go for it :)

  • 8 years ago

    If you absolutely love gray then go with the Network Grey. However if you are doing grey because it's a trend, know that it's trending to be out of style at this point. If it's the latter, then I'd consider a more natural color as Sophie suggested.

  • 8 years ago

    What color or wood finish will your other cabinets be and what "feel" do you want for the room? coastal/beach?

    If the rest of your cabinets are a wood finish or a gray or a white and you're seeking to add a "coastal" vibe, there are "coastal" blue colors you might consider. Even Walmart carries a coastal bright teal that's worth a look:

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Glidden-High-Endurance-Interior-Paint-and-Primer-Bright-Teal-Surprise-48GG-36-428/51263971?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9011062&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=51263971&wl13=&veh=sem


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I do love gray, ( one of my bathroom's cabinet is similar to the network gray)..but I would choose the coastal gray between those 2 options. It looks more classic than the network gray.

  • 8 years ago

    If your kitchen is open to other areas of the home I wonder what colors you have going on there? That's my question.....

    dcoste thanked Porter Edun
  • 8 years ago

    Its a new build so I do not have anything right now sorry


  • 8 years ago
    @dcosta I’m sorry for your loss. You are literally rebuilding from the ashes. I’m dreading living through my kitchen remodel, but I will keep you in mind to keep a perspective on it and keep me from whining! The color choice is such personal preference. The Coastal Grey reads green to me, and looks like a much warmer color than the Network Grey. Do you prefer warmer or cooler colors around you? What colors are the objects that you like to have in the kitchen? Can you get paint sample cards of those colors? Where ever you are living right now, you could tape them up and see which your eye tends to land on the most. I have 7 greens plus a white taped to my cabinet door right now, and find my eye settles on the same one. Good luck!
    dcoste thanked Janet
  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    here are some pics

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Still no gray. And your kitchen cannot be Landed From Mars. It has to integrate into the rest of the house as a whole. How are you planning to use the kitchen colors and materials in the rest of the house? Not prison gray everywhere with white furniture I hope.

    You have to plan all of the home now. No just a pop fad kitchen that doesn’t go with anything else in the home.

  • 8 years ago

    not a fan of Network Gray at all. reminds me of a battleship. and do not like the symphony gray counter choice with any cab color.

    the coastal gray is very pretty. to me it has a gray/green/brown appearance which i love. you can do a lot with it and its not tying you to gray for everything. its warm & earthy. if that's the feel you want for whole house, then i would go for it. if u go with coastal gray, i would do a cream cabinet or a very warm white vs. a cool white upper. in the 2nd sample pic that u just posted, the white cab is too stark with the coastal gray and the counter top.

    like sophie said, for the most part, everything on the main floo,r at least, should tie together.

    are u drawn to earth tones, cool tones? this is what u need to figure out. mixing warm and cool just doesn't work. there has to be cohesion or your home will look "all chopped up".


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    dcoste, is your kitchen going to be an open plan, where it is open to the rest of the house? If so, IMHO, that would lead me to choose the more neutral Network Gray. The Coastal still reads somewhat green to me, and I personally prefer a more neutral color base. I like adding color to my kitchen with accents, and the white/gray combo definitely works with that.

    That said, the longer I stare at the Coastal, the less green it looks. LOL. And both grays are cool colors, in my view - not warm.

    In the pics you just posted, are you still looking at different countertop materials? I see 4 different samples?

    dcoste thanked Chessie
  • 8 years ago

    I am drawn to the counter with the coastal grey on the white cabinet - I was torn between the two


  • 8 years ago
    I personally think the coastal grey looks great with it.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    dcoste

    I am drawn to the counter with the coastal grey on the white cabinet - I was torn between the two


    Between the two grays? Sorry - not sure if you were responding to my question about the counters. It looks like you have 4 different samples there. That's why I asked if you had actually picked out your counter...in your OP you said you had chosen Cambria Calcutta quartz - have you decided on another material?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Love gray! Where i am from it has never been a fad or a trend.. (at least not more than any other color) I grew up with white and gray and the attraction to cooler hues has stayed with me ever since. Unfortunately I’m still struggling with the brown, beige and tans that are very popular in Texas where I am now.. but I’m working on that..lol :) if you like it, you should do it! Between the two, and based on your photos, I prefer network gray.

  • 8 years ago
    Withyour counters coastal hands down.