Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lecorps4fun

My new Great Expectations

lecorps4fun
5 years ago
Finally planted the plug I bought from Hosta Direct. Wish me luck!

Comments (27)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

May it grow wonderfully well for you. I tried 5 times and finally gave up.

-Babka

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    5 years ago

Blessings to new GE!

I planted 2 this year, slightly more sized than yours. Am not expecting miracles though...

• dhaven
    5 years ago

As long as you planted it very shallowly, in a fair bit of sun, and keep it well watered, it will do fine. This one is fussy, but once you know it's requirements, you won't have any trouble with it. Also my favorite hosta.

• lecorps4fun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dhaven I followed your advice and your a few years ago. Hopefully I get lucky with this GE.
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    5 years ago

I do wish you luck. I am glad that you are trying to grow GE.

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

Linda, your hostas are beautiful!

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

Good luck! I'll be planting 2 I picked up for $3/ea at Lowe's the other day. They are not much bigger than yours. I have tried to grow one and it's never done much more than this. I thought I finally lost it last year but I see it's back again.

• lecorps4fun
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kari, any pix?
  • Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

Not at the moment. I'll get one this weekend.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    5 years ago

Yay, another GE fan! May your new addition "grow and prosper"! Lecorps, we are all rooting for you and your new Great Expectations! :-)

This is probably the only hosta that I have bought in multiples...one for insurance aka "an heir and a spare" and whenever I see another one at any nursery, I have to remind myself that two is enough... for now.

• Claudia _michigan
    5 years ago

Linda your hostas are gorgous! I

could you please tell me what this is??? The one in the middle?? This is for me the showstopper

5 years ago

Claudia, I’m thinking it is On Stage...or one of the sports...mine is in more sun and has much lighter leaves but the one you like here is very similar to mine in shape.

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

I just love all the colors and shades in this photo. Yum!

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

What is the all green one behind it?

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

And the one to the left of it? I'm a sucker for blue-greens.

• Claudia _michigan
    5 years ago

Hello Pinky, could it be “Touch of class”?! I just added that to my collection. Still a baby but the pictures online look like it.

• Claudia _michigan
    5 years ago

Thank you Josephine from Canada. On stage ... off to google it :-)

josephine where in Canada are you from? My husband is from Toronto. I love Canada and the Canadians very much! When we go up to Ottawa it becomes more and more like Europe. One day I hope to see Vancouver.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    5 years ago

Hi Claudia! Yes it is On Stage, another one of my favorites!

5 years ago

Hi, Claudia! Luckily I found this on page 2 of the forum board. When we first arrived in Canada we lived in Toronto. I have lived in Barrie (a city one short hour away, north of Toronto) for over 40 years and raised my kids here.

Happy to hear you like Canada and Canadians! :-). You really must visit Vancouver when you can (as well as Alberta) and Victoria as well. Last time I visited my friend, we took the ferry to Victoria, toured, stayed at a B&B, then spent the day at Boutchart Gardens. Amazing memory.

I've been a few times and the waterfront always reminds me of home - we have a beautiful waterfront which is 15 minutes away. I live 5 minutes by car from Little Lake which is a very small residential area, with one no-exit street, hidden away and seems like a small, sheltered "shanty" in another world, lol. Hospital around the corner, as is Georgian College.

I have driven the West coast from Ontario but have yet to drive to the East coast....bucket list item. :-).

• dougald_gw
    5 years ago

Claudia - I am in the Ottawa Valley south of the city not far from Hwy 416. When you next visit Ottawa, if you have time to stop by I would be happy to show you my hosta garden. The same offer is open to anyone from this forum who may be headed to Ottawa.

You can contact me offline

Regards ... Doug

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

Hi Claudia & dougald I am approx. 40 miles SW of Ottawa. Likewise anyone is welcome to visit.

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    5 years ago

This is a picture of my Great Expecations I purchased from Hosta Direct in 2015. It is finally starting to grow. If I did it again I would of planted it in a pot not the ground, I think it would of grown quicker.

5 years ago

dougald_gw If you see this you actually do not have your messaging set up. It seems you and I are the only ones from the Ottawa area now. irawon used to frequent here, I miss her posts.

lecorps4fun may your GE flourish!

• Claudia _michigan
    5 years ago

Hello Doug & peren.all how very kind of you! I would love to take you up on your offer. I have never been able to visit someone who loves and collects hostas! I wanted to join our Hosta association but hubby didn’t want to participate and I didn’t feel comfortable going alone.... well maybe next year

I come up to Ottawa every few years for my visa interview at the USA consulate. We usually stay than few days in Ottawa until my visa /passport is issued and ready to be picked up.

My appointment this year is October 30. I guess the hostas are already dormant than? Maybe we could meet for dinner somewhere if a garden walk isn’t possible?

when are you all cutting your leafs off? Last year I did it beginning of October but only because I had the house exterior painted. It gave me so much more time for the other stuff to take care in Spring that I will do that from now on every year.

5 years ago

Yes Claudia it is incredibly fun when you are with another that shares the same passion. The weather at the end of October can be either still very nice or a bit nasty but there is always something to see in the garden. It would be a real joy to get together.

I cut mine back when the weather dictates, I sometimes wait until the leaves have shriveled and will simply pull off.

Sorry to have high jacked your post lecorps4fun!

• Kari 4b Minneapolis
    5 years ago

I forgot to add a photo of my $3 Great Expectations from Lowes. I actually have 2 of these to plant. It's my second try at this one. I now know to plant it shallower than most.