Software
Houzz Logo Print
ethosrehab

Ugly facade need help

Recently bought a house that’s Art Deco from 1949. My biggest problem is that it looks like a giant bathroom with extreme use of glass blocks. Need ideas how to cover and bringing the house to 2018.

Comments (40)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Let me jump in before Sophie finds your post. Before you remuddle the facade of your house with "modernizing" and destroy the value of it, do some research. A visit to your local city hall's building/permitting office is in order. Another trip to your county courthouse is needed to look into the history of your property. You didn't mention where you are located. If it were my house, I would look into getting historical preservation protection for the house. The glass block that you don't like, allows light in while giving you privacy and is an architectural feature. Another version of Art Deco is Streamline Moderne. Your house looks like it has some Streamline Moderne elements. Which is ironic that you purchased a house that is already very modern looking.


    Listing for the House

    Art Deco

    Taccola's Blog Post about Streamline Moderne houses in Australia

    Restored Streamline Modern in San Francisco Your home could look like this with a good architect

    Art Deco House Plans Interior Home Deco Plans | IMAGINISCA · More Info

    art deco house by t4rnrwmn on DeviantArt · More Info
    Streamline Moderne House, Cordele | Vanishing South Georgia Photographs by Brian · More Info

  • 8 years ago
    I understand what you mean. The upside is you get a lot of extra light. The downside is it looks like a tremendous amount of windows. If you cover them and the amount of like that comes through at high noon is enough for you I say demo or buy shades made to cover them or extend your windows. I don’t think it’s really the light I think it’s the look of the glass blocks. You may be able to find a replacement glass that still keeps with the overall design of the house....good luck
  • 8 years ago
    Congratulations on your new home. As previous poster said this is a very modern home already use extreme caution updates could ruin this home and decrease its value. Imo any changes should be done with the assistant of a good architect.
  • 8 years ago
    Love it and I'm not really into Art Deco
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Wow, I love the house. Wish we had something like that in my area.

  • 8 years ago

    What!? No, this house looks fantastic. I wish we had houses like that where I live. I am not sure why you would buy an Art Deco with a very strong design element and architectural history and want to remove the elements that make it so distinct.

  • 8 years ago

    This house is perfection, wouldn't change a thing.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I agree with all the others above, leave it alone.

    Here in my town there was a 40’s example like yours- cantilevers, corner windows, round projecting living room. A couple bought it and made it Spanish! Stuccoed over the corner windows, filled in the cantilever, added a fancy entrance. It’s now been on the market for ten years.
  • 8 years ago

    Refresh the landscaping and enjoy

  • 8 years ago
    Very cool, please don’t change the block out. Work with the design.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    DO NOT TOUCH THAT HOUSE.You found a gem they are disappearing so fast if you don’t love it sell it to some who does. I spent months looking for a house like that that was for sale where i live. In our area there used to many art deco houses now almost all of them have been redone in the worst way possible.

  • 8 years ago
    Don't even try to bring the house up to 2018. Art deco is classic architecture; early 21st c not so much. The house is fantastic just as it is. And no, it doesn't look like a giant bathroom. It looks like a cool design that was way ahead of its time.
  • 8 years ago

    Have to agree with everyone else who says please leave the house as it is. And I’d love to see more of the interior if you’re willing to share because it looks pretty amazing too.

  • 8 years ago
    Look at exteriors of Art Deco and Streamline Moderne homes on Houzz and any other sources you can find. That may be all that you need to change.
  • 8 years ago

    It's not ugly. The listing photos show updates to the interior and beautiful setting. An updated drought-resistant collection of Los Angeles area native plants would be good to plant in the fall when it rains again.

  • 8 years ago
    Cool house that needs no exterior changes. I think that landscaping is fine as well. Sit back and enjoy
  • 8 years ago

    I love the house. If it were mine, I would spend the money on replacing the landscape.

  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful house, reminds me of my aunt’s home in the hills above Pasadena. Don’t mess with it. I would love to have it!!!

  • 8 years ago

    Why in the world did you buy a classic fantastic Art Deco house and now want to change it to something of the moment.

    In all seriousness, do you not know anything about architectural history or have any appreciation for anything beyond what you see on insipid HGTV shows?

    Beyond the beauty of the house itself, if one is going to be craven, doing ANYTHING that changes the facade will decrease the value of the house.

  • 8 years ago
    Fabulous find! Congrats on the new house. As others have said leave the exterior alone and update the landscaping. Good luck!
  • 8 years ago
    Would love to see more of your interior also! Beautiful house! The beauty of glass block windows is that you don’t need to do a thing to them - you could hang curtains, if you wanted or needed to control the amount of light... some inspiration for rooms with glass block
  • 8 years ago

    No, the house is perfection in what it is.

  • 8 years ago

    Back away from the glass bricks ..why the hell did you buy a house like that ..only to change it !?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It's very cool, and I love the landscaping. The one thing I wonder is: Was it always white? The white (at least as it shows in the photos on my monitor--so lots of chances for color shifting along the way) doesn't look planned. It looks more like primer or some bulk white "I need some white paint. I don't care, just white. Whatta ya got?"

    I say that because it makes the glass block look dingy butted up against it. Do some research and see if you can find the original paint color. Consider that when it comes time to paint.

    Other than that, cool house. Not my style at all, but very cool.

  • 8 years ago

    If it were mine, my next step would be to make a retro cocktail (a sidecar? a gimlet?) and enjoy that beautiful home. And I don't even drink.

  • 8 years ago
    Maybe replace the glass blocks, but with a different glass style, like maybe clear.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The house is a beauty and IS modern. Don't screw it up! Spent almost a million and a half on a home and don't appreciate the style of the home? Then you need a designer who does understand the style.

    Work on the kitchen. That needs the help. it's a disaster. Get it to match the architecture of the home.




  • 8 years ago
    Ok thank you for you input ! I actually love the house style and will work it. I just feel like the glass bricks are a bit too many
  • 8 years ago

    I’m glad you love it. I wish my house was half as interesting. Enjoy, I’m jealous!

  • 8 years ago

    Kristina, so glad to hear you actually love this gem. I love it, too. Wouldn't even THINK of trying to make it look more 2018.

  • 8 years ago
    Your house does not look like one big bathroom! It is unique and I love it, and the landscaping, too
  • 8 years ago

    Relieved that you like it.

    i think the glass bricks are fabulous and don’t remind me at all of a bathroom. The curved ones and the large one are particularly great. It makes the place so airy and warm in feeling while still giving you privacy.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Don’t touch the glass brick either.

  • 8 years ago
    Will try and do this on SOME parts inside
  • 8 years ago
    For the horizontal bricks under the windows I would love to pull pull windows down and make the larger and loose some glass bricks
  • 8 years ago
    From outside matching inside openings
  • 8 years ago
    Outside
  • 8 years ago
    Please don't mess with the windows or the brick. The only thing that needs to change is your perception that your house facade is "ugly." It's not.
  • 8 years ago
    Your home and landscaping are beautiful!! I will also add my thoughts, I hope you enjoy it the way it is. It is striking!!!