Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydloveslacey

I need help choosing a dining table

Sydney Stevens
5 years ago
We just built a home and we are closing in 6 days, I am stuck trying to find a dining table I like. Our walls will be a light gray (can’t paint til we close) our flooring is grayish, white kitchen cabinets, gray/white/black granite countertops.

We want our home to feel light and airy. I was thinking a white table, or even gray, OR gray and white, but would that be too much gray in my home? I can’t for the life of me find a white dining set with a gray wash top, that is exactly what I THINK I want but I am unable to find it. Also our budget is around $500.

I’m thinking a round table would be best for this area, also we’re all really tall so we’d like a counter height table.

On another note, I’m looking for an entertainment center as well, if nothing else is black in my home, would a black entertainment center stand out too much? What colors would you recommend? Am I asking too many questions in one discussion?

Besides for the grey and white in our home we are doing navy blue accents in the living room.

I can give more details if you want but this post is lengthy as it is.

Comments (17)

• Sydney Stevens
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We kind of like that monochromatic look. We also don’t like warm tones, we want to keep things on the cool side. We have a lot of windows and get a toonnnn of light throughout the whole day, so I think that’s okay if we stay away from anything warm toned. I am 6’1, our previous kitchen table was counter height or bar height (can’t remember) and we loved it. I hate standard height tables because my legs bump into the table when I’m sitting down lol. Here’s a pic of the windows in the dining and living room.
  • Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

I'd go with white.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

You would probably have more tables to choose from it you went with a white table.

• Sydney Stevens
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    A white table is one of my options. Just having a hard time finding one I like. Anyone have any website recommendations?
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Have you thought of glass or is that out for your lifestyle? My parents had a metal dining room table with a glass top at their lake condo. Was nice and they got a lot of compliments on it but we were all adults - no rough housing.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

The all gray/white trend is over and done with although if it's what you like that's fine. Still, do consider giving your space more warmth and less of a flat look with, for instance, modern paintings that have several colors and pillows and rugs that have both warm and cool tones. On cloudy/rainy days the all white/gray scheme will look dismal, and a few warm items, even if only in wall art and accessories, will make your home more in line with the current trend of warmer colors without sacrificing the aesthetic you like. With all those nice windows some tall green plants will also make your surroundings more lively and interesting.

• Sydney Stevens
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I would like a glass table but we have a young daughter so I might go a little crazy with all the fingerprints over it. Although I am getting a glass/chrome coffee table, so that’ll probably be enough for us.

And also, we don’t really care to follow “trends” just more of what we personally like. White is ever out of style anyway. And we actually are planning on getting some plants.
  • Sydney Stevens
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    *Never, not ever* can’t figure out how to edit my comment. ♀️
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Do you like those tables made out of formica or whatever type of molded plastic they use? There are both round and rectangular versions. Also tables with formica tops and metal bottoms. My aunt had a black and white kitchen with red accents, very modern, and she had both types of tables, one small end table made out of molded plastic, and then a formica/metal one for the eating area with rattan and metal chairs. Not the low end stuff, it was high end. Google "molded plastic dining room tables" and you will find some good "image" examples. The formica versions are mostly not-loved antiques, although my friend picked up a high end faux wood table and black vinyl upholstered chairs dining set on the curb in a formerly stylish Pittsburgh neighborhood. They've had it now for almost 20 years in a variety of homes, has held up well in style and material. It's kinda danish modern style.

• Sydney Stevens
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think I want to stick with wood or faux wood for the table. Thanks though.
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

How do you feel about IKEA? They have a pretty broad selection in both white and black painted wood.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I pinkmountain, those kitchen tables you are talking about are work horses. I got an used Ethan Allen one when Shady Side Academy use to have a flea market once a year. Mine was wood and the top was wood with some kind of plastic film over it. I had it 24 years in my kitchen with daily abuse. You could sit anything on it and it would wipe right off. My son is now using it as a work table in his game room he is remodeling. Still looks as good as the day I got it.

• Sydney Stevens
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We do like Ikea, we have some wood furniture from them. My partner was just there the other day and looked around at the tables and didn’t really see any that we were looking for.

But, doesn’t matter anyway because we finally found a set we like! We ordered it from wayfarer, we actually didn’t find it ourselves, my partners mom did. So thanks to her! Whew! One house issue down, on to the next! Lol.
  • Sydney Stevens
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, it’s not round like I originally wanted, but we had to make a sacrifice somewhere. I’m happy with a square table too though.

Thanks everyone for your input, i appreciate it!
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Check Allmodern.com - I got a really cool chrome glass table and royal blue chairs with it. They have some cool stuff. I believe it’s part of Wayfair.
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

You can always change up the look with tablecloths or placemats.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH